Graphics GTX 1070 fail - time for the bin?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by wormy, 23 Sep 2023.

1. wormy

wormy Minimodder

Hello

This is probably a shot in the dark but I thought worth a try.

I had a Gigabyte 1070 mini crash on me recently. I can't remember exactly what happened but I think as I was using the machine I lost all display output (ie no bsod, no artefacts, just black) but I can't recall if the rig died at the same time.

On a different machine, which does POST with onboard graphics and, separately, with a spare 1060, the 1070 fan will start to spin then stops but there's no display output and I think a POST double beep fail.

Is that enough info to think that it's probably for the bin? I did buy it second hand and it had run well for me for a year or more but I don't really know how it was treated before I got it.

Grazie for any thoughts.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

If you've nothing to lose, try baking it. Loads of guides online - I've done it twice with an old GTX 460 and a GTX 970. The 460 did eventually fail after a few more months of use, but the 970 was still going years later.

3. wormy

wormy Minimodder

Thanks very much David, I'll find a guide.

4. wormy

wormy Minimodder

So... I ended up just taking the card apart, looking it over then putting on new thermal pads and paste and it seems to be functioning again - at least, it allows the machine to Post, which is all I could hope for with the spare Components I had.

I don't know why I have 5 matching screws left over though....

Weird but minor woot. It means I can now keep it as a spare in case my 6700XT blows up or otherwise dies on me

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Nice one.

That happens a lot :lol: Only thing I'd double check is to ensure the 4 corner screws for the GPU chip is correct and secure. Put those left-over screws aside for the next time you disassemble it.

6. wormy

wormy Minimodder

Thanks Wyx. Are the 4 you mean the ones with (usually) springs on them? Those ones are in place.

wyx087 likes this.