1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 Product Key

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ant1981, 20 Oct 2023.

1. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

Hi, I'm trying to sort out an old computer, but wanted to get the product key before doing anything. I don't appear to have anything with the key on it, usually it is on a sticker, but in this case it isn't.

I'm aware that you can look in the registry, but it's showing 0x00000001 as the entry, suggesting that it was never activated? But in the control panel under system information, it is showing as activated.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

If you strike out, ping me a reminder in the morning - I think I might have a win 7 disc and serial lying around somewhere.

adidan likes this.
  3. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

4. onemaddude

onemaddude Minimodder

If your going to rebuild it the same. Try an active state backup program (sorry can't remember what the one I've got is called). It's stand alone so no install required - except dot net but thats pretty standard these days, run off a USB and when rebuilt just run again and restore. I think it will also show you the key

5. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Pop me a DM if you need one, got plenty to spare

adidan and Arboreal like this.
  6. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

Thanks for the replies all. I think what I might do is replace the drive with an SSD and put W10 on it, since 7 doesn't have any updates anymore. I know I have the installer somewhere, I'm hoping I have the key to that one too!

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah, I wouldn't let a windows 7 pc anywhere near the internet nowadays.

You can download the uptodate media creation tool direct from MS at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

You can create either a usb or dvd from that and it gives you the option of selecting which Windows 10 you want when you come to install (64bit, Pro, Home, whatever).

As for a key, a windows 7 key may very well work for 10.