1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU 12500T

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scroome, 7 Nov 2023.

1. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Hey all,

Random thought here (as there's very little on the internet), but I was dismantling old recycled systems at work yesterday, and I came across an Optiplex 3000 that was given to us, as Dell deemed it a throw away due to a faulty MB.

I open it up and low and behold the ram and 12500T are still inside.

I was actually thinking of buying a 12400 to pair with a 5700XT to run a system hooked up to my TV for some light lounge gaming, but I noticed that the Boost clock of the 12500T is exactly the same.

I couldn't really find much on it, but if I used the 12500T would it perform similar to 12400, because of the same boost clocks, or am I missing something here? I know it has a much lower TDP, but if the clocks are the same, does that mean performance is similar (for gaming at least, when using boost)

Many thanks

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Only difference I can see is that the 12400 has a higher P core base frequency of 2.5ghx over 2.

However, and what will make the difference is that the boost power limit on the 12500t is 74w vs 117w. So the boost duration may be shorter. I know on the 11 series you could disable the boost duration at the cost of higher power use, but I think they stopped that with the 12 series as it was far more competitive and thus they didn't have to leave anything free on the table.

If you have the 12500t already you may as well at least try it. Just set up Afterburner or what not, and keep an eye on the CPU clocks.

3. Vault-Tec

Arboreal and Scroome like this.
  4. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Awesome. Thank you for this. There's not a lot of info about sadly, this was really helpful :)

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

You lucky lad! Enjoy.
    The SFFN guys are fond of newer i5 and i7 T CPUs as tey are cooler in small boxes with not a lot of loss of performance

Scroome likes this.
  6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I often use the T variant CPUs in my tiny rigs - you're not losing that much performance and the cooling requirements are easier to satisfy; and they make for decent home server CPUs. Unfortunately, more and more people are realising this, and it's getting harder to pick up bargains in this area now. CEX used to be completely clueless in this regard, often selling uSFF desktops with i7 T chips at barely any markup on the i5 models, so you could grab one and swap out the i7 with an i5 and sell it on with barely any loss.

Scroome likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Aye, looks like Dell left him the best bits lmao. Rest would have been poo, but that's a brill little gaming CPU and the RAM also.

Scroome likes this.
  8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Funny how a T-Chip gets the small package crew out

Arboreal likes this.
  9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Hey, my package ain't that small.

**checks webcam**

Arboreal and Goatee like this.
  10. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Us SFF 'Perverts'?...

11. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Nice. Thank you! I'm feeling happier about finding the CPU now :D

Vault-Tec likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

Yeah that was a good score tbh. If you want to avoid the jank with AMD's Expo Intel are a solid choice.

Scroome likes this.
  13. Scroome

Scroome Modder

I tried using Expo with my 7800X3D and offt it was not fun for several bios updates.....