1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Tag Mclaren.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vault-Tec, 16 Jul 2023.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I attempted to put the cover back on it yesterday. I failed. It was a sod at the best of times, but it seems because of the way I built the internals it would not slot in at the sides any more. So I had to cut off the tangs that used to go in. I also had to cut the back, as it would not clear the new power socket.

So for the first time since the day it arrived it is now back in one whole piece.

[​IMG]

The only issue is you can see the silver through the sides now. Easy bit of painting at the end.

[​IMG]

It's worse the other side. I had to clearance around back too.

[​IMG]

But it is all happy enough now.

[​IMG]

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That lack of ventilation is going to bite you. If the psu needs a fan... :worried: Just a spot next to the power plug and a little grill over the chip heatsink would be enough.
    -Guy that's really good at building toasters.

3. Vault-Tec

The PSU likely needs a fan at 300w or above. It is a 350w gold PSU. I am running the Noctua fan I got at 12v. So yeah, it will get hot in there, but I think it will be fine. Like I said, the system draws at best around 25w if it is lucky. I think that is the part you need to realise dude. It is an extremely low powered CPU. Like barely above something like a Pi.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...5-4m-cache-up-to-2-70-ghz/specifications.html

TDP is 10w. It has been used in tablets. The PSU should have thermal protection. I would be amazed if it does not. So it will be a case of "suck it and see" but yeah, it's an extremely low powered system.

4. Vault-Tec

Well that’s friggin annoying.

sound board was delivered right after I left.

5. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Feels like such a shame that the inside isn't seen with the lid on. :(

6. Vault-Tec

Aye. This is why I didn't braid it etc. Problem is it would have just used more space.

7. Vault-Tec

OK so the stuff from Ali is all here, as well as the USB 90' and etc. Sadly a behemoth of a project has come up, and I need to do it. Will try and find a few hours next week to get this all nailed down.

8. Vault-Tec

OK so finally some time. I set up the sound device, with a DAC just to make sure it works.

[​IMG]

It does.

[​IMG]

Hoping to get some more time at the weekend to finish up.

9. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Not much needed now tbh.

[​IMG]

I then gave up because the humidity is absolutely horrible here today.

10. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

You've done such a nice job of it! :)

Vault-Tec likes this.
  11. Vault-Tec

So today I machined what will hopefully be the last pieces. Last night after I posted I drilled and tapped the little table thing for the digital sound thing. I then fitted that properly. Today I made something similar for the filter in the rear.

[​IMG]

I just didn't want it hovering around in there.

[​IMG]

That should be all of the machining done. I do have a couple of things left to do, namely painting the edge where it meets the face panel here.

[​IMG]

The top used to have tangs in that area that push fit into the sides of the front. Problem is it had been mangled and when I repaired it it ended up that the tangs would not go in there. Not even with a plastic hammer [​IMG] so I cut them off, but now you can see that silver metal through the gaps. I will likely just cut some vinyl pieces and stick them down.

Cheapskate likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

OK just a quickie. I decided to cover those parts with vinyl. If I paint it the likelihood is it will scratch off very easily. I ordered the vinyl but it didn't arrive in time (common theme).

I also needed a 5m HDMI cable to set it up properly. 3m will reach but will be hanging in the air (never ideal). Problem is every 5m I have ever used has been crap, and either dropped signal or didn't work at all. Decided to splash on this, £35.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

at 5m its best off looking at active cables

14. Vault-Tec

Yeah price though.

Hopefully it’ll work fine.

15. Vault-Tec

Blimey it was heavy. Packed it as well as I could. Got it home last night, and set to work. 5m HDMI cable does not work. Somehow also the internal HDMI cable had worked loose. So after sorting all that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arboreal, Monkey Puzzle, Yaka and 3 others like this.
  16. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Still can't get over how clean the front craft-knifed 'thx tag Mclaren' looks - lovely craftsmanship. So... how does it sound?

On a related note I blame your audio stack pictures for an impulsive black Friday Gustard r26 DAC purchase.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2023
    Arboreal likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Well it sounds like you would expect, given the Tag's DAC is doing the work. So very good tbh. May have sounded better with a top end sound card in there, but the only options that would have fitted would be crap ones. So yeah, best leave the Tag to do the work converting the digital audio into analogue.

18. Vault-Tec

BTW @Cheapskate

The CPU and GPU temp is 111f. Or 41c, max, playing a full 4k rip.

I've put a 4k audio skin on Libreelec now and it looks absolutely stunning. Will get some pics of that when I go home, but by god it is gorgeous.

IanW and Cheapskate like this.