Scratch Build – In Progress Kitchen Sink computer.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 29 Nov 2023.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Anybody here? Hello!
    The name is just a placeholder. Who would think Kitsch -en Sink would already be copyrighted?
    It's time I got something going again. Since the last time, I've re-plumbed GG, and Bloo has cratered.
    [​IMG]
    -A little background on this one: Ages ago, someone wanted a design. I drew up the thing above. It turns out, they didn't want to pay for it... Yeah. Some guy wanting free stuff. :lol:
    [​IMG]
    -I played around with making this with what I was capable of, since the idea of a free-hanging backside was cool...
    [​IMG]
    -The whole time I was playing with doing it in carbon fiber, but that stuff is not friendly.
    [​IMG]
    -Then the economy...and Bit, tanked. I thought it would be better to try a junk build again.
    [​IMG]
    -So here I am, trying to jazz up a sink basin.
    [​IMG]
    -I have, like, six of these at various levels of beat up.
    [​IMG]
    -I also have some schedule 80 4.5" pvc pipe. I'm not going to ask where that particular tenant stole it from, but he probably did...
    Here it's inside a coupling fitting that I used to get a straight cut.
    [​IMG]
    -Glued those flat sides to a board, and leveled the top with the mill. Here, I'm finding a rough center point.
    [​IMG]
    -The sink metal is paper-thin, and really wobbly. I need something for the join/spine that's really stiff, and I need to get rid of a big pile of PVC somehow.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's where I am. This was a bit disoriented because I just woke up. I doing the grill fins with off-cuts of glass green plexi.

MPC, Yaka, Monkey Puzzle and 6 others like this.
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The the MacGyver of modding is at it again. Bet you're the kind that could escape from Alcatraz with nothing but a blunt spork.

Arboreal and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

wooo here we go!

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

btw leaning forward Cheesecake. it looks faster!

5. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

I'm slightly disappointed you're not using gigantic plug grates as fan grills. If you're watercooling I expect to see a proper tap as the drain loop! Subbed.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Needs a draining board too...

Idioteque likes this.
  7. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys. :D I do have some drain covers for this size pipe, but those don't look very good. No tap - no room. The draining board-thing is almost unheard of in US building. These are 60's-80's standard 8" sinks, the first thing to go when the kitchen gets upgraded.
    -And no, I couldn't get the sink version to lean forward. :lol: I'm not even sure how well the top extension splice will work. I will be relying on liquid nail for a lot of this... and PVC glue, of course.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  8. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Lovely. Those kitchen sinks would make great carbon fibre molds...

9. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Love the renders! im subbed for the next 5 yrs :rock::rock:

Yaka and The_Crapman like this.
  10. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys. :D
    @Monkey Puzzle - I'd rather make a mold exactly to my tastes.
    @Defyant Mods - I'm hoping to not be that slow. :lol:
    [​IMG]
    -Today's sacrifice is an old reject part from GwassGween.
    [​IMG]
    -A lot of sanding and some fusing... and some grinding, and more sanding, and more sanding.. anyway, I ended up with this gumdrop on the end of a nice switch. (I should check it to see if it's momentary on first..)
    The plan is to have this seated inside the pictured pvc pipe -The one that has been milled perfectly straight.
    [​IMG]
    -It's not an ordinary plastic gumdrop though. I found a place that sells glow in the dark plexi. :naughty: This should give a nice menacing eyeball look to the power button.
    [​IMG]
    -I mean, Why wouldn't I start on something easy when getting the main body to take shape involves cutting forever on metal that would rather melt than cut. I have an angle grinder, but it's not really made for fine cutting. -Cutting on a super light chunk of metal with something that can throw it across the room seemed like a bad idea too.
    Once I get this trimmed down I can figure out the exact-ish angle I need to mill the pvc curves to.

11. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Is it a straight cut through you're trying to do? Sounding obsessed with making a mold now, but hear me out... could maybe wall off a section (to avoid having to cast too much) around where you want to cut and cast some silicone or other resin in there temporarily to give some rigidity for the area you need to cut?

12. ThomasJS

ThomasJS Minimodder

Interesting, very ambitious haha, I will follow! :cooldude:

13. MPC

MPC Minimodder

Follow :rock::clap:

14. Cheapskate

Thanks. :D
    @Monkey Puzzle - That would be a great idea for sanding down the final bits... but then I'd have to remove it. :lol: I'd say my biggest issue with cutting these is holding on to them/clamping.

15. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

I love "junk" builds :naughty:

After those posts I started looking kitchens in a different way :hehe:
    :jawdrop: I want a sink too.

16. Cheapskate

Thanks, Dot. :D ..I assume you have a sink -somewhere. :lol:

OK, My holiday pause is over even if I'm still recovering.
    [​IMG]
    -The basic sink shape doesn't fit things like graphics cards and PSU's, so I need some splices. I need to sacrifice another sink to get enough. Maybe I'll find an excuse to add more plates.
    [​IMG]
    -I found using the really good pvc glue as body filler doesn't work very well. It's rubbery like vinyl tube (same stuff, in fact,) so it's not sanding right. The wood bit is for a jig in the next pic.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's where I stopped right before Christmas. I mean, I had to vacuum for the guests, right? I might as well make it worth it. To keep this from slipping, I put old, sticky electrical tape on the jig. It worked so well that I ripped the glued jig off the mdf instead of just pulling the part.
    [​IMG]
    -I made a bunch of switch parts that will include a ring of LEDs.
    [​IMG]
    -To solder, I milled up a wooden copy, and tried to summon the bird of the hallway.
    [​IMG]
    -Take my word for it, the blue and pink make a neat color that the camera will never capture. Have some blowout instead.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a better shot. I have a layer of foam in there because the switch tabs need isolated from the wiring, and I didn't take into account the contacts sticking out of the LEDs. I also had to dremel out a little space for the resistors. Yeah, derp.

17. pccustom

pccustom Multimodder

another masterpiece...

18. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Unfortunately I haven't :waah:

Not yet... :naughty:

:clap:

19. Cheapskate

Thanks, pccustom. :D It's not yet, but I'll try.
    @Dot_Kappa - Well, now I feel bad that I have ALL the sinks. :lol:

20. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Love the classic retro shape:rock::rock: I never really took any notice on how small sinks really are.... itx build? you know... i'll never just be able to look at an old sink on chuck out day and just see an old sink anymore :D