1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Old games you're trying again?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGreatSatan, 27 May 2022.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Gold digital edition is only a fiver on GOG.

2. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Been binging these on and off :grin:

Don't think I have to say anything about this one

[​IMG]

Ultima 7: Black gate + Forge of Virtue. Ohh the memories... Movement was janky back in the day and remains as such

[​IMG]

Captive. Spent a MONTH in 92 or 93 decoding the inventory and android skills in save files and haxxxed myself the ultimate group :lol:

[​IMG]

PS: 16DCFF gets you 65535 money in one pile. Don't ask how I remember that after three decades

Yaka and Pete J like this.
  3. Canon

Canon Reformed

Truly phenomenal game, even today.

Pete J likes this.
  4. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Got Core Contingency, Battle Tactics and a bunch of custom units added for both sides. Cypher is one of my favourites, shreds ANYTHING that gets too close into fine pieces and Orcone, oh wow Krogoth is a tin can compared to it :rock:

Something to consider: it was released a bit over quarter of a century ago. Glad I've been into computers and games since ehh 1983-1984. Kinda glad I've had the opportunity to see these things go from characters and a bunch of pixels to very realistic ones

Pete J likes this.
  5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Black Mesa

Started playing before Christmas and back into it again. Even better than I remembered, and that may be because the team behind it still keep updating it.

The game just does everything right, no other way of putting it. Yes, it's on the Source Engine, so isn't as pretty as the latest RTXified thingybob, but the graphics design is such that it always holds up well, and still has a few "heh, that actually still looks really cool" moments.

So many little touches that really bring the game to life. Subtle reimaginings and modifications that reward a player of the original game. An example that stuck out for me was the inclusion of security and marine zombies, and in one particular case, a marine zombie stumbling around with a drip bag on a dolly still attached. Another example is the sneaky inclusion of a couple of extra assassins at THOSE bits, which will catch any Half-Life veteran off guard.

I'm still a fair way off Xen, but unlike the original, I'm looking forward to getting there as it's a genuinely amazing world now, and also the hardest part of the game. It pushed me quite hard a few years ago and I'm not the gamer I used to be - will I still be able to complete it on hard? Only time will tell...

Last edited: 1 Jan 2024
  6. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Homeworld (remastered). I love this game, mainly just for the gorgeousness of the adagio for strings intro.

And this isn't exactly old but Payday 2 because 3 just came out and it's just ridiculously hard for some reason. Playing PD2 on mayhem, no problem, PD3 on normal, impossibru.

wyx087 and Pete J like this.
  7. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Supreme Commander wasn’t too shabby either.

Pete J and Canon like this.
  8. Canon

Canon Reformed

I think Supreme Commander acted just fine as a sequel.

Also for something a bit more based in reality, World in Conflict from the same year was very good. 2007 was a random resurgence of RTS :eyebrow:

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yes. Fallout New Vegas.

I have spent many thousands of hours in FO3, but not NV. I don't know why, as it's a superb game, but I suppose I just preferred FO3.

About two years back I bought a Xbox 1x to use at my mother's house. It was connected to a 4k BenQ TN panel I use to watch my fire stick in bed. Problem was Obsidian never really updated the game due to their fallout (geddit? fallout?) with Bethesda, and thus it never got proper HD textures nor anything close to 4k. As such? it looked like ass, given it was the 360 version (the only one for Xbox) and thus still retained all of the visual settings from the original. Thus, crap draw distances, no AA of sorts and jaggy AF. Which made it hard to stomach.

FO3 on the other hand was revamped with better textures and thus looked rather nice on the 1x.

[​IMG]

So aye, needs a PC. Problem is I can not get it working on any of my big navi cards. So, I knocked up a rig using loads of old free parts with a 980ti in. Heaven ! tons of mods installed, looks superb :D

10. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

What mods would you recommend? Having missed it originally (was stilling playing FO3), i tried picking it up recently, but didnt get anywhere. Would like to give it another try...

11. Vault-Tec

This is pretty critical, as the game WILL crash to F. It took me two days to get it working 100%.

I first put this on. Go for the medium one, the large looks no better and pigs on VRAM.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43135

It's in 3 pieces, IIRC.

I then installed this.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/42028/

I also needed this.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635

But sadly it did not stop the crashing. What did was this.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/62552

I did not use FOMM as I don't like it. The last time I used it? nothing worked. Like, none of the mods showed at all. So I used this.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/videos/3164

The video in that link? is all you will need.

Pete J, boiled_elephant and MadGinga like this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They're not that old (he tells himself, as he crumbles into dust) but I've just got done replaying Portal and am partway through Portal 2 'cos the kids wanted to see 'em. They love Wheatly, dunno if that'll change come the Big Twist.

It's hard going, though, 'cos first-person games make me feel 'ick these days - and that's without adding in the vertiginous sudden perspective shifts as you fling yourself through the portals...

boiled_elephant likes this.
  13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

If they're old, then so are we. Are we old?

Yes, yes we are. Our games are old and so are we.

I for one welcome our new geriatric gamer life stage. After all, once our knees and spines are gone, we'll have a good excuse to sit on our arses all day playing obscure old games. Nobody ever begrudged an old man his shed and his hobbies. It's the youth that get endless stick about how they should be spending their time productively.

I keep trying to pick up NWN (the original) and Morrowind and just never get very far. I've never seen either game through to its conclusion, which is sad, because they're obviously, undeniably great. But they're also ugly-as-butts and quite slow and very sprawling. Designed for children with summer holidays to kill.

Pete J, adidan and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  14. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

I haven't had any issue playing FO3/NV/4 on anything, be it Intel/AMD/Nvidia?
    I used the GOG releases, dunno if there's any trickery going on, but they all worked, might be worth having a look?

Make sure you replay NV, as there is some rubbish endings and it did sour my opinion, but I replayed it and did some things different, but I still think it's the weakest, really good up until a certain point, then meh.
    My mate however thinks it's the best one.

Currently trying to replay FO4, really loved it the first time, and is probably my favourite one, then 3 - bar the ending before the dlc, just walk all the way here whilst no one can kill you in a mech then the end :(

Last edited: 14 Apr 2024
  15. Vault-Tec

Yeah I have finished NV main and moved onto the DLC. I finished Honest Farts (god it's bad) and got onto Dead Money forgetting how tricky it was. I need to get back to it tbh, I have just reached the Sierra Madre.

3 is still my fave. Followed by NV and then 4.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Fallout 2 4 life, yo :hehe:

Pete J and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  17. c0nstruct

That ending in NV where you
    kill ceaser
    was VERY underwhelming, and annoyed me immensely!

Love 3/4, that DLC bonus on 3 where you goto the drive in movie with the aliens, was stupidly hard, just get shot from everywhere nearly the minute you spawn and I ended up with no ammo, worst thing was it wouldn't let me get out of it, and I'd saved over the point of no return, of which it'd already warned me about before starting it hahaha!

The aliens were talking about something crazy as well, NFSU stuff attached to peoples heads or limbs, something hilarious I remember vaguely!

18. Vault-Tec

Mothership Zeta. The crappest DLC I have ever played. God that was like having your fingernails ripped out with pliers.

19. c0nstruct

Hahaha!