1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet connection woes - advice would be great

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by loftie, 31 Jan 2024.

1. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Heyo all, thought I'd reach out for advice from you lot as I'm not sure how to progress with my ISP.

We're with talktalk - yes, I know, but they've generally been fine in the many years we've had them.

We started having connection issues Thursday night, the internet will randomly disconnect.

We've had OpenReach out, they've said the cab is fine, the house is fine, but they changed the integrated filter, faceplate and cable to the router.
    We've had a new router.
    We've had a talk talk engineer who also said the house is fine and connection seems ok.

The issue, unless it's fixed itself since the engineer left this morning, is still on going. Now talktalks response is they need to send another openreach engineer, my reply was the house has been checked by two engineers, the cabinet by one, at what point do we assume the property isn't the issue? They replied saying it's the only option available to them.

Since I don't really know anything about networks, or networking, is there anything that could be causing the issue outside of the cabinet and house that I could fire back to them so they actually investigate something apart from our property?

For note - AFAIK we're being charged for each visit if no fault is found with it, even though they've seen the router logs and noticed that it's disconnecting a fair amount.

Thanks in advance all.

(also posted in OCUK but they're no substitute for BT forums :grin:, not even got a wall bash emoji!:wallbash:)

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Is it always around the same time?
    Does it reconnect after some time?

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Wow that was fast! It reconnects normally fairly quickly, sometimes I believe it syncs then disconnect then syncs again back to back, then comes back up. I'll have a quick look at the (terrible) router logs and try and find out the times.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Logs display "VDSL connectivity is down port 1"
    Times

Replacement router (that i can see from the screenshots i took, pretty sure there were some during the night, but I'd need to reconnect the router to get the times)

30/1
    4:06pm
    4:04pm
    4:03pm

Original router

30/1
    11:15am
    6:56am
    2:03am
    2:02am
    2:01am
    1:59am
    1:23am
    0:58am
    0:56am
    0:55am
    0:54am
    0:54am (twice)
    0:52am
    0:49am
    0:48am

29/01
    10:14am (was down for about 30 mins if i'm reading the logs right)
    10:12am
    9:38am

28/01
    1:10pm
    12:39pm

27/01
    10:35pm
    11:02am
    4:28am
    4:02am
    3:57am

It's not dropped today since I've reconnected the original router, but it appears the times are random. I seems to have happened twice that I know of when someone has phoned, but some of these times no-one is making or receiving calls for definite - e.g. 4am etc.

5. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Have you changed the DNS settings on the router?

We had exactly the same issue, turns out it's a known fault, where if you change DNS away from the talk talk default, you get random disconnections. Only reason I found that out though, was because a mate was working for talktalk at the time. Mines been fine since changing them back.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

have you added or moved anything like powerline network devices, these can be murder for knocking out the connection?

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

That's interesting, as there are a lot of DNS warnings in the router log which I don't recall seeing before but can't be certain since the logs don't go that far back. But no, I've just checked the original box as I wasn't sure but it has one field populated with 192.168.1.1 which I wouldn't have entered, secondary is empty and it states keep the fields empty to use default settings. Do you remember if you deleted the fields or if you filled them in? That is assuming you've got the WiFi Hub.

Nope! But I've experience this before a good few years back, even mentioned it to an open reach engie a while back and he was very confused. Edit: for clarity - I don't have powerlines any longer

Nothing on the network has changed to my knowledge. Other than the disconnections, the router shows DNS errors specifically "DNS name resolution failure", it shows WiFi devices disconnecting/connecting which I assume is them hopping between 2.4/5ghz, and I've noticed the logs show WiFi security setting saved successfully - which is odd as no-one knows how to do this, it's at random odd hours, and happened on both routers with different passwords. I've queried them about it but no response. Really I'll need to go through the mac addresses of each device and figure out what is what, not that it always show what's connected to wifi :wallbash:

8. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I was using cloud flare when I was having issues (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1), deleting both and blanking the fields fixed it.

Just checked though, and apparently I'm back using cloud flare. Don't recall updating them again, but also not had any more disconnections, so that issue may have been fixed.

loftie likes this.
  9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Winner winner then! I'll try blanking the field tomorrow if there are still issues. I normally change the DNS on the devices, though I think I might have everything except the firesticks set to default currently. Think firesticks are on adguard.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Well it's been connected for 2 days according to the router, so fingers crossed they've fixed something, because other than change DNS and turn on respond to ping for thinkbroadbands BQM, i've not done anything.
    A tentative thanks for the replies :happy:

VictorianBloke likes this.