1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Canon

Canon Reformed

Developed a chest infection in December that lasted through Christmas, haven't got a GP so out of hours services prescribed me some antibiotics, lovely. Went to collect, it's new year's day, closed early. Came back the following day, prescription destroyed.

That's fine, symptoms alleviated through early January, happy enough. Came back with a vengeance for the last two weeks, called urgent care, very helpful and suggested I needed the antibiotics, however they didn't have any GPs there so I should wait until 6pm and contact out of hours services in my area, cool.

Out of hours receptionist immediately hurled dogs abuse down the phone at me and told me I wasn't getting anything as I should have a GP and it's my own fault, decided this wasn't the one for me, called back a different line, lady was very pleasant but told me she couldn't help me as the laat receptionist had my case still open, that's fine.

My partner called back and the original receptionist answered and as soon as she heard my details announced that I was to never call this number again as I have been blacklisted and I'm "not their problem".

At this point my throat has almost closed over and I'm finding blood in my mouth frequently, so off to a&e we go, 17 hours, 2 blood tests, 2 x-rays and scans later a doctor hands me the antibiotics I was originally prescribed and wishes me luck.

Couldn't drive there given my fading in and out, used public transport, came out today, public transport is on strike, taxis have tripled their fares and the traffic is insane, another few hours and the cost of a slap up meal to get home again.

Needless to say I'll be putting in a freedom of information request for any notes held against my details and asking that as stated the recorded calls are identified and kept so I can have them reviewed.

What a few days :blah:

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Another night in ED/A&E with the little one (18mo). Follow up with GP and we're getting referred to look into asthma (which isn't usually looked into until 4yo over here, but he's hit the frequency they require and I have asthma so it's likely), glad we're getting somewhere now.

3. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Hope your kid gets better soon mate :thumb:

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's a shame that 111 doesn't cover NI. I've always found that to be really helpful when you can't wait for a "regular" appointment but aren't sure it's serious enough to call 999. It was 111 that arranged an ambulance for my other half a week ago.

You should definitely follow up on this, once you're on the mend.

Hope they can find out what's going on and start treatment soon.

Here's hoping for a swift recovery for both your little one and @Canon :thumb:

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Laugh at my expense.

20k RPM motor + extruded nylon sheet. one 1.4mm bit dead, 3mm bit managed this.

[​IMG]

Think I'ma do that by hand lmao.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Some happy resolutions.

Told 'em to shove it where the sun don't shine. Didn't even argue with me, just offered a refund straight away (and I've got that in writing).

Got home around 6. Sat down on the sofa for about 5 minutes while I fussed about putting stuff away, went straight to bed, and has been gently snoring "resting soundly" since. Doubt she'll get up at all until some time tomorrow now, and I don't blame her - probably the best sleep she'll have had in well over a week.

Isitari, bawjaws, IanW and 2 others like this.
  7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I have just finished recording six (SIX) one way video interviews back to back to back. I think my head is going to explode. I want a beer.

But I don't drink.

[​IMG]

They better give me the job.

Goatee, IanW, b1g-d0g and 2 others like this.
  8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hopefully the job works out, but in the meantime it sounds like you need some Blood Bowl back in your life.

Goatee likes this.
  9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Asynchronous interviews are an absolute p-take, I'm sorry you have had to go through one, let alone 6!

Do you even want to work for a company that does that?

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Could be worse

11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Time / motion studies have been part of industrial engineering forever and I don't know much about that specific case but doesn't look like a terrible use case for AI. Assuming everyone consented.

I fundamentally object to asynchronous interviews for the most part. For a highly technical role then maybe there is some use cases to prove some form of technical competence but 6 is an awful lot and tends to indicate they are using it as a time saving mechanism on what is one of the most important things a business should be doing, in terms of hiring quality people. If your going to cut corners, then your people is not a corner you should cut IMHO.

Pete J likes this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

In the last couple of places I’ve worked, assessing the person has been far more important than the litany of skills they may/may not have. Someone might have exactly the technical skills & experience that we're looking for, but if they’re a complete bellend then they ain’t getting the job. Skills and technologies are always going to be changing, but it can be very hard to get rid of a toxic employee that no one wants to work with.

Pete J likes this.
  13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

We are currently interviewing for a replacement project engineer and I have just been discussing with my manager my thoughts on interviews for a niche technical position (lightning protection and power earthing) like this. He had seen something on a linked in post about recorded interviews being sent in and we were both on the same thinking that yeah, all nice and stuff, don't need to get them in, people can apply from all over the place, and so on, but we are both fans of being able to have the first interview being almost like a more formal get to know the candidate chat so there needs to be a bit of back and forth.

We have a pretty good idea of their technical competencies from their applications and CVs and if they seem like someone who would be decent and fit in with the way that do things after the first interview then we can test their technical know how on the second one with one of the other project engineers being involved.

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I agree, all you learn is who's good at rambling into a camera.

The 6 part is an entirely self inflicted injury. I'm as far as I can go at my current location, the only person above me is my boss so if I want to go up I have to go somewhere else. (Un)Fortunately the next level up comes with professional development and the hiring runs in line with the training and certification intakes. So instead of applying to 1 or 2 at a time it's got to be all 6 possible locations at the same time, because the HR system can't cope with 1 application applying to 6 locations. I knew what I was getting into when I started but mein gott that was a pain in the bum.

15. veato

veato I should be working

Somehow borked the USBC port on my Pixel 6 Pro (bent pin maybe, although it's not like I'm rough with it). Have been wireless charging it for the last few days but curiously that's no longer working. Balls.

16. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Glass straws. What a dumb idea.

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

No more annual leave until start of april, god i need a break.

18. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Managed to twist the top off a glass washing up last night. Got off pretty lightly, but still sore today.

My wife's wondering how I broke 2 glass things in a day...

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Magic... or Magnets...

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

A couple of years ago my wife bought a set of toughened glass glasses. I smashed one within two days…

mi1ez, Pete J and adidan like this.