1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ITX Anonymous Club

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 11 Jun 2016.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Gotta get my kicks somewhere, bud :lol:

Byron C likes this.
  2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Byron C likes this.
  3. David

It needs to be bought. Soon.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Doesn't matter. The Dan uses a riser. It will easily fit in under there ;)

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

As far as I remember, I'm sure that Dan designed the Bkackridge

6. David

Yes, but he wasn't using a Dan A4.

Vault-Tec and Byron C like this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Aye but it's going in one isn't it?

Or do I need more coffee?

mmm. Coffee.

8. Vault-Tec

Yay.

OK so after getting home yesterday I decided to attack the NUC today with Win 11. And of course it was another s**t show. Tried to build a USB three times, kept saying it could not be installed. In the end I downloaded an ISO and F I am glad I did ! the reason being? I used Rufus to build my stick. Not only that, but Rufus gives you the option (many actually) to ar5e fudge the installer and remove all of the BS. Now it still would not have installed without hacking any way, as neither of my network cards are detected without drivers. So yeah, blessing in disguise and removed all of the crap and bloat too !!

The good bit was that 11 works properly with the NUC. Like, no forcing on Tbolt drivers and drivers for the card reader that didn't actually work (wouldn't read a card). Amazingly plonked right on my desktop was a 32gb SD card I haven't used in years. I have put all of the system goodies (drivers to get the network working and etc) on that.

But yeah, I don't think this NUC was even designed to work properly with 10. I think the whole thing was literally designed around 11.

Now to install all of my LAN games on it !

Byron C likes this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

TBH it might be better off on Win11, I’m not sure how well Win10 works with the split performance/efficiency cores. I know Win11’s task scheduler was designed to support that kind of architecture, even if it needed tweaks once Alder Lake chips actually released.

It’s still not perfect in Win11 though, far as I know. It sometimes has trouble routing background processes to E-cores and runs them on P-cores instead, taking processing power away from games or other intensive applications.

10. Vault-Tec

I'm so very, very impressed with Arc. Have tried a ton of games now including PUBG and have had no issues at all.

I did have one minor one where sometimes when you stop moving the KB or mouse the screen goes black for a second. Turns out it is VRR that causes it on high refresh displays but it doesn't matter because in games it never happens. Like four hours of HL2 today with no issues at all.

[​IMG]

GN just put up a video with one of the guys from Intel talking about their new Imon app that is the best ever and has now replaced FRAPS. So fair play to that. have installed it, will give it a go tomorrow.

I really, really like what Intel are doing for their buyers. They have been about as open as they possibly could be, fix things quickly when asked and have been generally brilliant. Every time there is an issue to be fixed they get straight on it, and don't just pretend it isn't happening like the other two. Would that change if Intel became a big player? probably. Thing is, once they are a big player they won't need to do all of this stuff, so it's awesome they are doing it now. Their GPUs pound per frame are exceptional too.

Nvidia and AMD could really learn a lot here I feel. Bravo, Intel, bravo.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, it gives me a lot of hope for their follow-up GPUs, assuming they want to carry on with Battlemage.

12. Vault-Tec

Screen dropouts were so bad earlier. Not in game, I mean I’ve just started entanglement and it’s only taken me two sessions. It only happened at the desktop when browsing via chrome.

Disabled VRR problem evaporated.

I’ll enable it for newer games but yeah, not needed for the full hl2 play through with eps.

I just love it. If it runs PUBG 2 well on UE5 I might sell one of my rigs.

13. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Looks what's arrived - it's so small! I'm hoping the Lazer3D HT5 should arrive in the next few days.
    So I've now broken down my main rig and the Meshlicious will be put in the pile of things to eventually put on the marketplace. That's also allowed me to start planning my eventual Dan C4 build. I'd been thinking about a dual 280 rad build, but might need to reconsider that given how tight it looks with my two rads in there and nothing else.

Clearance for the mono with the thicker rad on the side mount. The P280 does fit in with the EK low profile 90s almost perfectly against the PSU mount.

Once you get the 28mm rad in the top there isn't a lot of space for tubing runs or pump/res. But that can be worked around. Both rads have 16mm thick (slim?) fans on.

But, given I don't have the parts for that build I've got some time to think about whether I go to the hassle of water-cooling or just stick with air.

14. David

My Jonsbo N2 was supposed to arrive by Saturday. It still hasn't.

If it arrives this week, it'll be tomorrow. I know this how? Tomorrow is my day off and I gave my work address for the delivery.

Happens more often than not. It's ****ing infuriating.

15. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

So the HT5 arrived yesterday and I got it built. It was surprisingly easy to build in, though worth thinking about cabling in advance, especially the PCIe power given the connector placement on the 4060LP. Overall it's a nice looking build with the solid wood front.
    I do need to have a play around with airflow, I think using the CPU cooler as an exhaust will be better than intake. I'm also considering de-shrouding the GPU and adding in a couple of 80mm fans as intakes there. I think custom cables will help as well...

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'd heat shrink the main power connectors, and bend the pins at a slight angle to give you more space. An even better fix would be soldering directly to the plug at an angle.

BeauchN likes this.
  17. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Good idea. I thought I was probably going to have to disassemble it again to play with airflow so will look at that when I do so.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Dan A4 from @Arboreal landed this morning. I knew they were small, but damn...

[​IMG]

Time to swap kit in... But wait, what's this? I've left a peel on the PSU!

[​IMG]

Snug fit indeed!

[​IMG]

Bags of space for the GPU though.

[​IMG]

Speaking of the GPU however... this will be a problem...

[​IMG]

Dan's RTX 30x0 FE guide shows the addition of a 92mm intake below the PSU. I don't have any spare, but I'm planning to pick up some Noctua fans. But...! before I do that I need to swap my RAM for LP DIMMs so that I can mount an Alpenfohn Black Ridge. So for now this'll do - it's only held in place with plastic screws, so it's easy to remove. I don't necessarily need the GPU to be insulated from the plate behind it, the FE cards are fully shrouded. It does mean that the GPU is now dumping exhaust air into the PSU, but it'll do for now.

[​IMG]

So I've gone from this

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

It's pretty nuts...

MightyBenihana, David, IanW and 3 others like this.
  19. Vault-Tec

New 4gb Intel ARC card out. Tiny wee thing. Shame it is only 4gb, as it performs very well.

Arboreal likes this.
  20. Revil0

Revil0 99% lurking

I love that you can get a "Sparkle Elf" Arc card, we need more whimsical naming!

Arboreal and BeauchN like this.