1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, that makes more sense and now I've re-read the original comment, legoman did say "after initially inflating the tyre". But you're right though, at 120psi those things fill the scoop tightly. Might give it a little go on the next glueing and see if any difference.
    We went there last year - it's such a cool place but reaaaally fkg scary up on the top with small kids. And a fear of heights. Biking down those roads must have been good though.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nah I had three motorbike crashes due to poor road conditions. Hence why I don't ride on the shitty things any more, or act like a belmet. I also saw some poor sod lose a carbon road bike from leaning it and boy did he splat. Had to get my ex to stop the car and get out and help the poor sod up.

Since my last big stack in a concrete bowl in 2018 I don't want another slam. It's not hours or days recovering now it is weeks.

[​IMG]

Bastud.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"That'll itch when it dries". Effin A it did. Still, I did get to pick it all off though !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm done taking slams for science now. Thom said it best, "Gravity always wins".

ElThomsono likes this.
  3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I've had my share of crashes, got the scars and joint pains to prove it!

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Same - scars all over the place, hole in my elbow, divot in my shin, orange peel skin across my shoulder (NB: not cellulite).

Although the rest are from the bike, the divot in my shin may allegedly have come from trying to climb over a chainlink fence piissed and getting hung up on the concrete post, so that might not count.

This is turning into Jaws...we could start a "Scars" thread :grin:

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  5. Mr_Mistoffelees

For a time I was cycling to work that way. Great flying down there early in the morning, with no other traffic.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I went cycling today, and thought to make a video of it.

After which I went to the forest to pick some berries on my city bike, and ended in a bit too deep

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec and fix-the-spade like this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Well she rode beautifully. Sort of.

[​IMG]

I made the executive decision whilst doing all of the upgrades that I wanted taller gearing. So I went from 46-18 to 46-16. It was too much. In perfect conditions on a very smooth road with no wind? it would be fun. Sadly that is void of reality.

So, the plan is to drop the chain ring back down to 44 for high speed jinx.

[​IMG]

As you can see there is a Box Two conversion kit there too. Bought it for a tenner. Whilst I am at it I can replace the crappy mild steel chinesium rear driver for a 4130 cro mo one, and the guard is ideal. If the chain snaps it will mangle my carbon wheel.

The BB is finished now too, for more titty action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mmmm, titties.

8. Vault-Tec

Well that was strange. Same day I started lining up the upgrades this might have happened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to need to change and upgrade the insurance, but it was worth it dammit.

9. Vault-Tec

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That's a road bike Vault, you feeling alright?

ElThomsono likes this.
  11. Vault-Tec

Look up :D

It's sort of a road bike. Not sure how old you are, but when I was a kid there was this thing called a track bike. Not like, a modern track bike (velodrome) but it was literally a old racer people would put motocross bars on. It's funny because it was what I ended up recreating (back issues). God she rides amazing.

[​IMG]

I do have one real bike you know :D

It was born in 2017. I used to do about 6 miles on my 20", then come home and collapse. I got that thing, and I could do the same 6 miles four times in half of the time it took me on the 20. That was when the love affair began.

She'e been through many changes since. Started out looking like this.

[​IMG]

She's done many very happy miles. Slowly I replaced pretty much all of it but the frame, but then when I got the carbon wheel last year for the rear I had issues. The brake would not reach, and bringing the wheel in made it rub. I had to drill the hole bigger.... Then of course there were no cage mounts and so on and so forth.

What it did show me was I liked the small frame. Mostly because I am sat up, so no back aches. She's always been like, my sports car. Only get her out when the sun is shining and when I am not riding I am cleaning with a cloth etc.

Yeah man, fantastic bike. BTW I got the alloy wheels there because at the time I was a big fat ass and I was worried about the skinny nature of the wheels. Was my first ever 700c bike, and I was terrified of breaking it.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Even with the 700c wheels my brain registers that as a BMX, it's the branding and the bars...

Vault-Tec likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

Yeah it’s in the blood mate I guess.

Hilariously when you get on it and ride it it feels like a giant BMX too. So like, it feels like it felt when I rode my first 20” as a kid.

Only much, much faster lol. I nearly **** my undies last time I was out on it.

14. Vault-Tec

Started planning what I need, coupled with what I want (like parts I need to make it actually work, vs parts that are orange that I want to replace in red).

Need one of these.

[​IMG]

Or something along those lines. Obviously need these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the last of the needs is a new post and clamp. Not sure on the clamp size yet, but the post is a 31.6. Thought about using a shim, but it would look daft and not cost a lot less than a new post (£20)

[​IMG]

Do like the red bit on it as well. I took the BB to bits last night and cleaned it, removing any dirt and grit.

[​IMG]

So that is ready to go. So excited.

15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

What is that Zitto thing? I thought I'd seen a lot but I'm clearly missing something here...

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Looks like a sprung idler wheel to maintain chain tension.

17. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Oh! Why doesn't it have the right tension from the go? I've not seen this before...

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I thought the rear derailleur would maintain chain tension? Or is this for fixies/single-speed?

19. Vault-Tec

There is no derailleur. As Byron pointed out, it is a single speed.

Me and gears never got along. I am a bit rough on bikes, and I may have had one go into the spokes and rip the hanger off the frame once *whistles*. I never could get my head around tuning them, or aligning the hanger, and all of the BS you need to do to keep them working.

[​IMG]

You basically buy a kit. You get a end lock nut, spacers and a cog. I have bought an upgrade kit for that, too. That's what this is.

[​IMG]

On the left there. This one is high end though, and comes with a wheel protector (in case the chain snaps or comes off). On the old frame this wasn't a problem, as it had straight long dropouts.

[​IMG]

But yeah, not gonna work on the new one.

I was a bit naughty last night. I shouldn't spend any money until Friday, but I added this to my watch list and got a 5% off code. It cost me £33. RRP is £80.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

210g. A lot lighter than what I have on there now. It's getting Ti bolts, too.

20. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

With a single speed frame the dropouts are horizontal, so like on a BMX you can pull the wheel back to put tension on the chain.

Road, hybrid and old mtbs had a vertical dropout to enable you to get the wheel out past a rear mech. The mech spring was used to tension the chain. When you single speed a vertical drop-out frame you can't pull the wheel back so you put a tensioner on which acts like the spring in a mech.

ModSquid and Vault-Tec like this.