1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics What to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adidan, 25 Mar 2024.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I need a bit of clarity please.

I intend to upgrade my 1080 to /insert GPU here that can run cyberpunk and the like at 60fps and 1440p raster/ and move it to my backup pc.

The backup needs a new GPU as it's currently got a GTX570 (yes, GTX!) that hasn't had a driver update since about 1987.

Now, had quite a few vet bills of late so may have to put ithe upgrade off and find a cheapo 1060/1660/580 or something to pop in there and those bills were a bit of a chunk. :sad:

But, that's a false economy no? I dunno. I have plenty of PS5 games to keep me going. Anything more grunty than a 1060 I imagine definitely would be a false economy.

Can anyone shine a light of sense my way?

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Used 5700XT are going for pretty cheap, and will mostly hit 1440p 60fps on Cyberpunk using low settings, or you can use FSR and bump up the graphics a bit.
    On this side of the North Sea they go for about 130 to 150 euros, I imagine it's comparable on that side.

Mind you it's a mild upgrade over a 1080, the performance is similar to a 1080ti.

adidan likes this.
  3. adidan

Yeah I was thinking more a little upgrade to the backup pc rather than a reduced upgrade to my main one (was toying with a 7900 GRE or something around that before the vet bills came in) and just hold off on that for now.

Or whether that's a false economy and I should just hold on until I do a proper main upgrade and shuffle the 1080 over.

I think my thread was a bit daft. I think it's just my patience isn't cooperative at the moment :happy:

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Based on my quick Ebay troll.
    GTX 1060 6GB - £80-100
    GTX 1660 Super/Ti £100-150
    5700XT - £150-200
    RTX 4060 - £300-ish

For me it would be the minimum viable Nvidia card, keep the extra money for a later upgrade. But I'm still daily driving a 1060 6GB and play games at 1080p/60 so perhaps I'm weird.

Arboreal and adidan like this.
  5. adidan

Yeah thanks for that.

I'll hold on I think. My 1080 will be a better card to go in the backup when I upgrade the main.

I'll just stick to the PS5 for a bit.

Patience engaged.

Ta. It was just one of those times where I couldn't think straight. :happy:

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

1060 is still a decent card, had one until recently in our media pc, played fallen order and survivor with it, albeit lower settings etc.

It's actually sat on the desk next to me, maybe I'll create a FS thread.

Edit:
    Never mind no rush for me to then :D

adidan likes this.
  7. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

I might be being thick, but are you intending on selling the 1080? If not surely you put that in the backup rig?
    I tried a 5700XT a few months ago, sounded like it wanted to fly, and the coil wine was insane when playing CS2, of which was at an fps that was very underwhelming!
    I hear they often fail too and run very hot from what I saw... I'd definitely avoid any dual fan cards!

8. adidan

Yeah the plan is to move the 1080 to my backup once I get a new GPU for my main :thumb:

I'm just going to hang on a while until I've cleared the vets bills, holiday bills, mattress bills, all the bills now :happy:

c0nstruct likes this.
  9. c0nstruct

Ah cool, I wondered if you'd decided to sell it to fund the next gpu, then thought but he needs a gpu for the 2nd one so would have to buy 2 :oldconfused::hehe:

It is a Sunday mind:grin::duh:

10. c0nstruct

I take it bills are your main hobby then? :naughty:

11. adidan

Think I'll be taking the 1080 to my grave tbh, been a belting little card.

I'm not surprised at the confusion, my question came from a head mess of confusion anyway born from natural impatience. :happy:

12. c0nstruct

Haha, if you paid full price new for it, then I don't blame you!

Ha, we were both on the same Sunday morning madness then eh!

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I sttill have my 1080 around as a backup card, so I totally understand! I'd recomend looking at Cex, as they have some good priceed items on there, usually with 24 month warrenties!

14. c0nstruct

They seem very hit or miss, they often charge brand new prices for CPU's?

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, their CPU prices are bonkers, but their GPU ones are far more reasonable!

c0nstruct likes this.
  16. c0nstruct

Decent, that makes a change then! Their console prices are hit and miss, but sometimes decent.

If you want a laugh, read the online feedback, it's shocking, CPU's being sent out with snapped/missing/bent pins/broken... Mental the lack of QC there. Obviously in the shop you inspect it yourself, so no biggie, but screw buying online after reading that haha!