reluctant case fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 26 Mar 2024.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Hi Bittech members and readers :grin:
    'Had a crush on the Phanteks evolv shift case :cooldude:, wanted to buy the X version but it's solded out everywhere, so I purchased the ITX version 2.
    I finished mounting it all yesterday evening, and everything went fine, except that the Phanteks case fan was not spinning...:eyebrow:
    There are only 3 fans in the case, 2 Lianli BR-lite 120mm and the Phanteks 140mm from the case.
    All 3 fans are linked to a fan splitter with 4 plugs, linked to the secondary fan outlet of the MB, (the CPU fan outlet is used for the pump control).
    The fan splitter has no additional power, but I thought it would be enough to power 3 fans, furthermore, I tested the 3 fans linked on this particular fan splitter separately, and all 3 fans were spinning, but when it is monitored by the MB, the Phanteks fan starts to spin when I start the PC but stops imediately after Windows opening...
    The Gigabyte control center has a fan control interface, it shows 3 lines, CPU, System 1, and PCH
    but none of these is acting on the Phanteks fan...
    I tried also to use the famous software called "FanControl" but there was no way to make this reluctant fan spinning.... :duh: I'm pulling my hair out, well, what's left of it :rollingeyes:
    Ideas?
    Thanks for reading

2. kim

kim hardware addict

I decided to change the fan splitter for a better one, with additional power, same result :sigh:
    I am so sad, I really like the case and everything is working fine except this f...g fan :wallbash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

More info would help - is the fan splitter 4-wire/ 4-pin and therefore using the same PWM signal for all connected fans? This could be the problem.

Arboreal and kim like this.
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Aye, the 140mm might have a much higher minimum %/frequency. Have you tried setting the fan header to max? Or changing it to voltage control instead of pwm?

Arboreal and kim like this.
  5. kim

kim hardware addict

[​IMG]

Great thanks for your replies and ideas the_crapman and LennyRhis, you were both right, it is a problem of pwm signal, all 3 fans are wired with 4 pins but the Phanteks fan is wether in shortcut or badly linked to the wrong voltage, because yesterday, I tried to add another fan, external, linked on this splitter, just to see, and it turns out that without my glasses :cooldude:, I unwillingly plugged it bad, meaning, I inserted it uncentered in one of the outlet's pins of the splitter, so only 3 pins were linked but in the wrong place, I know, :eeek: it could have create a short circuit and burn my gear, but instead, lucky me :grin:, it done something in the fan splitter and all the 3 fans including the phanteks one started to spin at their highest speed :jawdrop:...
    I realised that my fault was the way I linked this Phanteks fan, but I have to dismount it all to spot out the wrong connexion but my loop is so silent and efficient, so I will just use it for a while with the glass panel out...
    I ran the PC for hours and the Ryzen 7 3800xt floating between 35 and 50° C in idle, and never overcame 62°C when I use the PC, and this without any intake fan (except the one below) so...it can wait a bit :naughty:
    Thanks to be present and helpfull every time
    have a nice day

Last edited: 27 Mar 2024
    LennyRhys, The_Crapman and Arboreal like this.
  6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Such a pain when you've got your cable management tight and there's a weird fault you have to dismantle it for. Glad it's sorted

kim likes this.
  7. kim

kim hardware addict

yeah, totally, I spent so many hours cramming it all inside the case, there's not a bubble of air in the loop, and I might have to dismount it all for a fan :wallbash:
    At least I understood why it failed
    thanks to all of you those who reply as those who come by read and and like :rock:

LennyRhys and The_Crapman like this.