1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ITX Anonymous Club

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 11 Jun 2016.

1. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

The efficiency of the 7800X3D is amazing. It’s a 105W part but gaming draws about 40-50w in my experience. My 5900X even in 65w eco mode drew 87!

Edit: it makes the GaN 250 a lot cooler!

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I think TBH the L9i might be coping just fine. Had a several-hour run in Tabletop Simulator last night and temps got up to about 60-ish, which is fine. It’s definitely going to limit max turbo power and a stress test will easily get temps up to thermal throttle territory, but all I’m interested in is gaming. So long as games are running well, and the chip isn’t constantly throttling, I don’t really care.

Pleasingly, the GPU temps were also down. Last week it was hitting low-80s even in TTS, but last night it got up to mid-70s GPU temp with hot-spot around the mid-80s and RAM temps way down on what I saw previously. Was a bit worried that re-pasting/re-padding the GPU was a bit of a waste of time, but thankfully it seems not.

Though I need to do something about the fan curves. I mounted the two fans kindly sent by @BeauchN in the bottom of the case: one as an intake, below the CPU & board, and one as an exhaust, below the GPU exhaust & PSU.

[​IMG]

I've never heard Noctua fans get that loud, so I suspect it's probably an issue of airflow being blocked - there ain't a lot of room down there, after all!

[​IMG]

Need to unplug them one-by-one under a heavy CPU load to see exactly which fan is being a whiny butthole.

Ta, will check it out :thumb:

David, BeauchN and Vault-Tec like this.
  3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nope, didn't even need to do that.

Yep, the intake is the whiny poop head. (I know, I know... I shouldn't stop a fan like that.... :grin:)

But that intake is right below the board, and cannot be budged without at least removing the screws... I love compact SFF builds, but working on them is a pig...

The new problem however is that if I screw in the PCIe riser's socket properly, the riser cable makes contact with the fan and stops it spinning :duh:. Bodged solution: unscrew the riser's socket and whack a foam pad on the case at the bottom of the PCIe slot.

[​IMG]

Yes it's a total hack, but I don't want to risk damaging the riser by bending it elsewhere, and the extra few mm is just enough to keep the riser cable clear of the fan. Barely.

[​IMG]

It's still a noisy boi when running at full tilt

But now the pitch is that little bit lower, and doesn't quite have the same shrieking "rrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeee" quality to it. I may end up taking out the fan under the CPU, not sure yet.

I've had a combined prime95 & Furmark2 run going for at least 20 minutes so far and the temps seem to have levelled off. CPU sitting at ~92C (depending on which sensor you read) and the GPU core has settled at around 81C. Neither are at thermal throttle territory, but they're close. And this is an absolute worst-case scenario with CPU & GPU both under full load. Gaming, the use case I actually care about, will never get to this kind of combined load.

[​IMG]

BeauchN likes this.
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Have you tried using Fan Control, B?

The sheer number of curve options it gives you is mind-blowing. You can mix curves so fans can respond to individual temp sources or spin up regardless which source is the hotter. It's fooking fabulous.

Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ooo, now that sounds like what I’m looking for…

I suspect the CPU will be absolutely fine, it’s really furnace-hot air blasting out of the GPU that needs controlling.

But I think that’s enough faffing for one weekend, I guess think I might actually get to playing some games…! :grin:

BeauchN and Arboreal like this.
  6. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Small update to the HT5 layout...

I've removed the two slim 80mm fans but mounted the GaN250 on 12mm standoffs rather than using the 'multifunction accessory' panel. That seems to improve airflow around the unit and through the case in general. I've also swapped the fan on the ID-Cooling IS67 for a slim Noctua and changed it back to exhaust as having it as intake just left the CPU and GPU coolers fighting each other and warm air building up in the case. This seems to be a situation where fewer fans equals better airflow. It now looks like this:
    It seems to have a decent impact on cooling. After about an hour of CS2 the CPU Tdie had spiked to 81, but was mostly around 70, while the GPU had maxed out at 69 and was largely running in the mid-50s. With the CPU cooler running as intake both the CPU and GPU were pushing into the 80s, and I wasn't keen on that. I love that the max power draw on the CPU was under 57W!
    Probably the last thing I'll do will be the cabling. I've ordered N3rdware custom cables that should reduce the clutter in the case a bit and might help a little with airflow. I'm also wondering about some foam between the CPU cooler fan and case to help direct airflow out rather than letting any re-circulate. And I might look at shortening the power switch cables as they are ludicrously long given the size of the case. But otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

David likes this.
  7. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

Currently building a SAMA IM01A (NR200P type case iirc there's 6 companies that make it)
    Might put a build thread up when it's finished if anyones interested?

Arboreal, Byron C and David like this.
  8. David

Do it - more SFF is always welcome

My IM01:
    [​IMG]

xxxsonic1971, Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  9. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

Nice, if that's a PA120SE, I have done the same thing, but with the stock fans for now, and BeQuiet's up top, I run my SF750 sideways though.

Mine is the sparkly gun metal colour variant. Love it!

10. Revil0

Revil0 99% lurking

Goodbye Broadwell and 980, hello Raptor Lake and 4070s!

I know the define nano isn't so nano, but it was £35, couldn't say no! And the new card wouldn't fit in my old node 304.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BeauchN, Vault-Tec, Byron C and 4 others like this.
  11. David

Those of you who frequent SSF.net will know Robbee from N3rdware. ETA just showcased his single slot cooler for the A2000.

Tell me you don't want to buy this and an MS01. Liar! :lol:

Last edited: 18 Apr 2024
    Revil0, Byron C and Arboreal like this.
  12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I was hoping to have my NUC all LAN ready by now but it has been plagued by an issue. One that has taken me three weeks to resolve.

When viewing either GIF or any sort of browser based video the screen would flicker into standby, then come back. If the video annoyed it enough I would have to alt F4 on the browser to get the screen back. I wasn't like, that bothered over it. Games work perfectly. I did try a whole variety of things though, like disabling GPU acceleration in Chrome, other browsers, etc etc etc.

In the end the solution was simple. What you do is unplug the DP cable and use a fuggin HDMI one. It seems ARC has a bug with DP.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

15. David

OK, so the 12450H MoDT ITX board arrived yesterday. Earlier than the proposed date and much sooner than the LGA1700 compatible low profile cooler.

It's OK, Dave, just set it aside for a week and wait. Yeah, that sounds like me, doesn't it?

Of course, I spent 2 hours sorting through my boxes of bits and spares to cobble together a mount to use an old Noctua tower cooler to test it. Truenas picked up the CPU change immediately, and reported temps for the P and E cores. MoDT is a very cool concept, I like it a lot so far. I mean, the BIOS needs some polish, but it's still cool.

It's a shame the 13th Gen board is looking like a scam, because an ID Cooling IS-30 would allow me to use it in my ZS-A4DC. It was supposed to be one of those AliExpress 50% off first come first served offers, because that's the only way the low price made any sense, but I fear it was just a lure; despite the seller continuing to communicate and assure me it is en-route (without offering any tracking info). I am 99% sure it's a scam, so I'm holding off buying any DDR5 for it.

Byron C and Arboreal like this.