1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Now just need a monitor, 32 or 34,flat or curved, ultrawide?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 5 Mar 2024.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah just don't see myself spending that much even if I waited as I would then just rather put the difference into something else/the next thing (other computery bits, desk chair, various house furniture, gym stuff, tools.....)

I feel like size has had the biggest impact to me in the past when changing monitors, more so than 'quality', going from 24 to 28 which a bigger change than upgrading to the U2711 with it's better res, panel etc from memory.
    So in this case if I was pushing budget I think I'd be wanting a 34+ to give more of a difference having in theory come from a 32" IPS panel. Then again I don't think I've ever had a really high quality screen so could be blown away and regret not having prioritised that sooner!

Edit:
    Out of interest just had a quick check and it appears I got my U2711 12 years ago for £360 as there was a small scratch on the surface and it was a refurb from NRG. Apparently that would be almost £500 in today's money! Then again it was a monitor that was going to get 10+ hours a day usage probably so was easier to justify I guess.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2024
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think if you bought a cheap TN or VA screen you'd change your mind on that assumption :p Jokes aside, for me the monitor is the bit to spend the most amount of money on, as its litterally what you look at when interacting with your machine, all other parts come second to it! £800 is only like £500 12 years ago :p

After having lived with a high end OLED TV for a year, honestly its amazing. It makes content so much better, so gaming and media watching will be better. Its really not something you can convey with reviews, videos or even a casual look at Curry's, you need to live with it. Watching Foundation on that screen was like being in the cinema, its why the cinema has negative appeal for me these days!

Its a tricky one to define and balance, but as you say, its more than you budgeted for, I only put it out there as others were suggesting more expensive options :) The LG I linked will be great, it'll be one of the top end IPS screens, so you'll likely see a improveemnt to your current one anyway :)

3. GeorgeStorm

Aha maybe, also just realised the link in the OP isn't actually my current monitor, it's this:
    https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/p/accessories-and-software/monitors/professional/62a2gat2uk?orgRef=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F#whats_in_the_box

Which by the looks of it potentially is a half decent IPS other than the refresh rate I guess, so maybe I should look for a cheaper usb c monitor to use for work and just use the existing one for games as I may have to spend a bit to improve on it. Would ideally like a higher refresh rate but to be fair it's rare/been quite a long time since I've played anything fast paced, just figured if I was buying something new for gaming may as well get a higher hz monitor.

Think I'll have a quick gander to see if there are any suitable options...

When we got our new TV at Christmas we went from a cheap LED to a slightly nicer MiniLED which I think definitely looks better, but again it was going up in size that had the biggest effect/improvement I think, I'm sure if I put them both side by side with a blu ray playing it'd be night and day though.

I won't really be watching anything on that PC, other than youtube/catchup whilst doing other stuff type thing so that's not really an issue, and games wise most of the more visually impressive games we have (Jedi Survivor, Witcher 3 etc) I don't play on that PC anyway. I do want to get around to replaying Metro 2033, finishing Last Light and getting Metro Exodus, but I'd have to upgrade my GPU to be able to play at max settings anyway I think, bit of a chicken and egg situation possibly :D

Last edited: 4 Apr 2024
    Bloody_Pete likes this.
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, that'll probably be as good as any new IPS really. As oyu say, its just the frame rate thats low, otherwise its great. Thats a tricky place to be!

Only one solution... :naughty:

5. GeorgeStorm

Haha holy smokes what is that!
    Haven't wanted to do any gaming during the week so not really been an issue but tend to do some at the weekend so will have to get the PC setup with an old 24" for now having not committed to anything yet and go from there, maybe I'll realise the smaller screen isn't that bad, overall desk has got smaller due to the room rearrange anyway and everything is relative right?

Might try and pop into currys and see if there's anything that catches my eye, I know it's limited in how helpful it can be for buying screens but might give me an idea of an ultrawide etc

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

John Lewis has an ok monitor collection too :)

7. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I know what you mean. Increase Hz is imperceptible to me, and although seeing cheaper IPS displays is more noticable, going from 24" to 38" ultrawide was a massive difference and the difference I notice most when I have to do any kind of work as the space is so useful.

8. GeorgeStorm

Yeah in classic me form didn't even end up going to Currys to have a look at any. But having had a couple of hours this weekend with the 24 it seems mental this used to be normal for me, once you're used to something bigger it's brutal going back!

Yeah I'm not saying nothing else matters, but unless they were side by side I wonder if I'd be happier with a 'worse' bigger monitor. Want to see one of those 38/40 in person to get an idea of it as I can't quite imaging it at the moment, would probably mean going single screen due to space considerations and my wife wants a 2nd monitor for her setup which would be the 24" I'm currently using :D

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I have a 32" widescreen at home and a 38" ultrawide at work, whenever I have to use my laptops 16" it feels tiny, especially when I need to do CAD! I've of my freinds got used to a 42" screen and now he really can't go back! Its an addiction :p

10. MightyBenihana

The 38" seems huge to start with but now it is perfect in my opinion. You get used to it fast. I couldn't use 'just' a 27" now. Even at my work they have 24" screens and I just cant work on it really, even with my laptop as a second screen. It has ruined me, but I am happy about it.

11. GeorgeStorm

Yeah so my work setup is now 32 + 24 vertical, then the room next door with my personal setup is a single 24 at the moment so it's a bit of a shock going between them!

Yeah to be fair it's always been that way in my experience, initial reaction being woah then actually it quite quickly becomes normal and you wonder why it was such a shock in the first place! Happened at Christmas when we upgraded our TV to 65", had initial regrets as felt it was huge, now feels very normal/not actually that big!

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  12. MightyBenihana

Same when I got a 65" TV. Thought going 75" was a little extreme, but now not so sure. Can't change no though as it sits in a hole in the wall. To be fair, I doesn't dominate the room either, which is a plus, and it's still nice to watch. When I go to my parents house they have a 29" or something, it seems so pointless.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

My dad had a 21" TV for a long time. all of my monitors have been bigger for years!

14. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Before this thread I had no idea the 40 inch Dell ultrawides existed and now my bank account is in danger. Thanks all!

bawjaws and MightyBenihana like this.
  15. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

Really like a 32" at 1440p 165hz personally.

Never had an issue with it being 'too big' for 1440p either.

16. GeorgeStorm

Yeah going to my parents is always a bit of a shock despite them having a 40" or something so not comically small, but for the space feels small especially now being used to bigger!
    Could be wrong but feel like other companies have stepped up/Dell have definitely lost their lead when it comes to monitors, still good but no longer so dominant/better than others.

Is that 2560x1440? At the moment I'm stuck with 1080p on 24" so even that would be a nice improvement both for games and when I do end up doing some dev work at that PC.

But if I focus more on value and productivity it feels like you could get a couple of IPS high hz 1440p 27" for much less than a nice 32/34 and it would be far superior.

So maybe not worrying about the ideal solution and just getting something which would be an objective improvement over the current setup will do. Future George will no doubt regret it regardless of the choice I make and he can sort it if needed!

Edit:
    Impulse bought the 32" 1440p AOC mentioned earlier for £150, delivered Sunday with a Prime free trial, mixed results on it being IPS/VA, if I don't like it can return it I guess but just seemed like too cheap a deal not to try since I am spending so much less time at the PC at the moment but didn't want to have many more sessions with just the 24", can always upgrade it in the future. Had also considered a cheap 27" 1440p IPS but figured I'd like the extra size over the extra hz for the games I actually play at the moment.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2024
  17. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I've had a 75' Samsung for the last year. It's utterly epic.

18. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Got this exact spec on my 32 MSI Curved.
    I think this is what they call the sweet spot.