1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 23 Apr 2024.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Any recommendations for a 32/34inch monitor,2k/4k, IPS/VA.

Will be driven be a 3060ti and I mostly play BF2042 at the moment.

Possibly a curved screen.

Just want some pointers really that I can then go and look at reviews for anything mentioned.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I went from a 32" curved 2560x1440 VA (16:9) panel to a 34" flat 3440x1440 IPS panel (21:9)

Flat or curved really doesn't matter - you'll quickly grow used to either. I prefer IPS to VA but, again, you get used to whichever you spend time with.

The difference in aspect ratio is probably the most jarring change, if you use your monitor for film etc.. there aren't that many films/TV shows shot in 21:9 - most wide format media is still 16:9. If you expand 16:9 to full screen on a 21:9 display, you'll get black bars either side. I don't really care, because I usually have video running in a window will I have something else open, like a webpage or PDF; but I know a few who really do not like the format. Of course, gaming and productivity is at least as good or better on a 21:9 screen, IMO.

I'd suggest exploring/researching that before making a decision.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I've been on IPS for the last ten years or more at 1920 by 1200, I think I'd like to stick with IPS in all honesty.

Other than you tube and Facebook I don't really watch films on my pc very often but the whole aspect ratio is food for thought.

4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

All I can give is a personal recommendation for the monitor I have had for over a year.
    Optix G321CQP Curved Gaming Monitor -32 Inch, 1ms Response Time, 1000R, 165Hz, Free-Sync premium (msi.com)
    31.5" MSI Optix G321CQP - Specifications (displayspecifications.com)
    These are probably the equivalents now is I think it may have been discontinued:
    MSI G32C4X 32in FHD 250Hz 1ms Curved Gaming Monitor | Jacamo
    9S6-3DB44H-028 - MSI G32CQ5P Quad HD 32" Curved VA LCD Gaming Monitor - Black - Currys Business

I use it every day for work and evenings for gaming, I find it excellent.

5. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Budget/use case?

For playing games I'd never go back from my OLED UW screen now. Better to save up and go big on a monitor IMO, 'cos its worth it from the experience point of view, and they last ages.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Use is mostly gaming and I thought I'd added my budget but obviously haven't, probably £400 to £500 range.

7. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Then I'd especially say save up and get something OLED. Seems the prices have gone up since I bought mine, but Dell are pretty liberal with discount codes, sales, and also credit card deals (there's a good one that has been perennially on and off Amex). It's probably not a big stretch financially, if you can be patient, and HDR support is becoming very common both natively and with nvidia's recent feature. Best upgrade I ever made to my computer (though I do wonder if I become habituated to it, and forget how much the difference is!)

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Could probably only afford oled if I dropped screen size to a 27"

9. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I'd wait and get the one you want. Like I said, I'd bet it'll outlast all of the components in your rig (unless you keep a retro rig!)

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

11. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I have the VG27WQ which is very similar and I think it's a good monitor. The HDR spec is better on the version you're looking at, which is good as the HDR on mine is a bit lacklustre. Otherwise, it works very well and has nice, crisp colours.

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I give up with this search for now.

Watch review after review, decide what I am going to go for and its either discontinued, out of stock or has a slightly different part number.

This is from recent reviews as well, what is up with the monitor market? do they release a monitor then just stop making it lol.