Development Woocommerce Product search page output not working properly

Discussion in 'Software' started by GaryP, 21 Apr 2024.

1. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Anyone know of a developer who could upgrade the wordpress theme I have been using to 8.2. Its a them that I have been using for years that I have changed a lot and the orginal theme it was based from isn't updated.

I have a few sites using it, work perfectly for what they need it for and I don't have the skills to fix itor enthusiasm to try and find a theme which will end up being not what they want and having to pay poxy subscriptions for every year.

I don't charge for the sites that use it, mostly for friends, some were shops I did to help them over covid for click and collect etc.

I don't know how to go about finding what is stopping the site working in 8.2, let alone try to fix it myself. Not in the best of head spaces at the moment either which doesn't help matters.

It's a long shot but if anyone knows someone and can find me the cost I would be grateful.

Cheers

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

This reads awfully like a bot/AI generated stuff (so reported), and doesn't really answer Gary's question, since he openly stated he didn't want to do it himself.

Do you know which PHP version you're currently using @GaryP?

GaryP likes this.
  3. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I have kind of abandoned that plan now. I have set out building a template from bootstrap basic. I have suprised myself and am actually confident I can pretty much replicate my current template and its 8.2 compliant.

I have hit one massive snag though. I cannot get the woocommerce search to output the actual products... its seems to output the actual search term in plain text. I had to make it work in the current template, but I last did that about 6 years ago and I cannot find the file or remember how I did it.

It should look like this ...

[​IMG]

EDIT: If I use storefront theme it works fine. Has to be a theme issue.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2024
  4. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Now it seems after all this the author said it onlyout puts a link ead excerpt, and he isn't changing it due to other users who could mess up their setting which I totally accept. I just need to be able to change the output myself for my own site using the existing files but I don't know where to start. Wasted about 3 days on this :(

https://en-gb.wordpress.org/themes/bootstrap-basic/

Last edited: 24 Apr 2024
  5. noizdaemon666

Unfortunately, I can't help any further as I don't use Wordpress and my knowledge stops at PHP in this case. Good luck though!

GaryP likes this.
  6. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Thanks mate. I just don't know where to look any more. Ran out of talent about 5 years ago !!

7. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I would rather make my current theme compliant but I thought the new one would work and be less hassle but now I have hit this wall. Do you know how I could find out what bits need changing in my theme ?

8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

If you've hit a wall feel free to give me access, I'll take a look.

GaryP likes this.
  9. noizdaemon666

There's significant changes from 7.4 to 8.2 so the easiest way would be to look through the server logs as you try it out to see which files and lines are throwing errors. Or give @Weekly_Estimate a shout :)

10. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Thank you. I may take you up on that if you don't mind. I am trying something else at the moment but the child theme I am testing isn't working with the css. If I an get that working I may be ok.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  11. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Thats probably a bit out my league .... I hate wordpress !!