Graphics Apart from Cyberbug & Starfield...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuperHans123, 8 May 2024.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Keep in mind that Steam HW survey does not differentiate at all between desktops and laptops, on desktops the % of 1080p users will be far lower than 60.9% and on laptops far higher than 60.9%.

SuperHans123 and adidan like this.
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Home owner privilege :p I would love to, and could literally design it myself (and install it if it wasn't for these pesky laws), but alas its renting life for me!

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Aye, having a decent monitor sure helps push GPU requirements up. 1440p is still a solid resolution IMO, and at refresh rates of 100+Hz it’ll challenge GPUs in modern titles. Especially if you turn off “ArTiFiCiaL InTeLLiGeNcE” trickery like DLSS frame generation.

Not everything needs > 60Hz, and not everything I play even supports > 60Hz, but there’s no way in hell you’d convince me to go back down to a 60Hz screen these days. I’m happy to compromise on resolution now and then, but not refresh rate. I bought a portable monitor for this LAN game I’m going to tomorrow; I didn’t want to spend an absolute fortune so I got a 1080P display… but it’s still 144Hz and (apparently) supports Freesync.

It took nearly 20 years of display technology development to get back to the kind of clarity, vibrancy, and fluidity that CRTs had. OLED and high refresh rate displays are finally there, like hell do I want to take a step backwards after so long.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Ah okay.

Another downside to power draw is the room heat as summer approaches.
    But it's a plus in the winter :brrr:

5. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Aye, that's a fair point. I guess I just balance the second hand risk Vs voiding a warranty anyway with a water block.

Byron C and Vault-Tec like this.
  6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

:hehe::lol: Love it.

SuperHans123 likes this.