Modding Need some ideas for an LCD mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cannon^Fodder, 18 Feb 2004.

1. Cannon^Fodder

Cannon^Fodder What's a Dremel?

Helloo there,
    just picked up this LCD screen for £20 of amazon used marketplace whatnot :)
    Was wondering what to do with it, and thought you guys might be able to think of a very cool mod :)

I was thinking of fitting it into one of these -
    [​IMG]
    Obviously i would paint the damn thing first ;)
    Any other bright ideas?
    It takes the standard PSOne input (which is dodgy) as well as standard AV in jack. I'm assuming i can just use my S-video out on my graphics card to connect it up to the jack, i've got a converter but i've not tried yet.
    I haven't powered it up because the unit takes 7.5v power, and the only 7.5 power adapter i've got is the wrong size jack.

www.aqze58.dsl.pipex.com/codpaste/lcdbox.jpg
    www.aqze58.dsl.pipex.com/codpaste/lcdguts.jpg
    www.aqze58.dsl.pipex.com/codpaste/lcdscreen.jpg

purrty blue metallic sides :) It's manufactured by Sharp if you cared

[edit] forgot to mention it comes with some small speakers, and also has a headphone jack. Another thing i forgot, has 3 switches to control volume, colour and brightness[/edit]

This will be my first LCD mod, so any information about modding these things, fitting them or using them would be ace :)
    Cheers,
    Sean

2. Tt Ownage

Tt Ownage What's a Dremel?

Good luck

get one of the a/v switches and build it inside there :)

one of the main reasons why i didn't mess with the connections of the LCD was becuz i can have the option to hook up any other RCA Video signal into it.

i can watch my DTV, dvd, xbox, ps2 and ilove it :)

did you ever play tetris on a little lcd screen? lol it's FUN

3. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

This might make things a bit easier

Guts
    [​IMG]

Box
    [​IMG]

Screen only
    [​IMG]

[edit]resized pics tp 400pixles wide[/edit]

Last edited: 19 Feb 2004
  4. kt3946

kt3946 What's a Dremel?

What you could do, and I've seen other modders do this, is take the screen and mount it into the lower section of your PC case. Generally where the fans would poke through on the front for airflow.

You can revent the airflow from the side of the front bezel, or below, so you don't have to completely remove the fans.

One guy even went so far as to put the WHOLE playstation in there, with a slot on the side of the case. The controller inputs were right below the screen. He put the case next to his monitor and that way he could play PS1 games while his computer was doing something else.....

(Beat's me *why* you'd want to do that, but hey...that's just my opinion).

Otherwise, what I've been thinking about myself, is to mount the 5" screen to a keyboard that has a built in mouse. Then using a long PS2 cable with a long video cable to the monitor, make myself a nice little 'remote control' for the PC, so that I can sit on the other side of the room and watch videos on the screen while still being able to control everything.

There's a nice laptop style keyboard with a built in mouse that seems to have the right dimensions at a local PC shop where I live here. Haven't really had the time to pursue the idea, but it'd seem kinda cool. A couple of those Y-NOT ps2 dual converters (which basically would allow you to use two keyboards and two mice on a single system) finishes it off.

What you end up with is a keyboard/mouse/monitor combo you can use from across the room. :lol:

5. Cannon^Fodder

good idea on that keyboard mod, i'll have a little look into that :)
    don't spose you know of any places on the net that sell em?

TTownage, same applies here, in the pic theres 3 jacks, sound left, sound right and video.
    I've got S-video to RCA female, and used a male to male cable to get my connection workin. Just planning on cutting out all the crap i dont need :)

6. Cannon^Fodder

ERK!
    I went out today to get a power adapter for the LCD display, and completley forgot its a monster :/
    Does anyone know where i can get a mains adapter with these specifications...
    Input AC 120V ~0.37A 60Hz
    Output DC 7.5 =2.0A

Thats the specification of the official sony power adapter for the PSone (SCPH-113) it also specifies that exact adapter in the instruction manual to the LCD screen, so i assume its the right power ;)
    Also the cigarette car adapter i got with the LCD screen says 7.5V 2.0A
    If anyone knows where i can grab any make of power adapter with the same specs, plz shout :)

7. BringItDown

BringItDown What's a Dremel?

Try running it with 7 volts from your psu, it couldnt hurt it and it just might work.

8. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

mod the cigarette adapter since you have it. it will take 12v from your PSU ad output the right power you need.

9. Cannon^Fodder

i'll crack it open and see how it works, never thought of that :)

10. Cannon^Fodder

tis open, looks fairly easy to mod :)
    gotta get meself a soldering iron now :)

11. sirgeoph

sirgeoph What's a Dremel?

if you want a mains adapter (us) go to thegametrader.com...good stuff

ok, so i work there

12. BringItDown

BringItDown What's a Dremel?

Didnt think of that...ur right that will work.

13. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

im modding a psone screen atm, you dont need the full 2amps, that psu is designed to power both the screen and the whole psone id imagine the screen would use under half of that but id say just mod the cigarette lighter adapter, thats what im planning on doing except ive got to buy one as mine didnt come with one :(

14. Cannon^Fodder

right i need your help AGAIN!
    I've modded the *** lighter plug, and it all works groovy and cool (not bad for my first bit of soldering ;) )
    The screen lights up, but im not sure a signal is getting thru.
    At the moment i'm using my TV out on my gfx card, is there a better way, OR how do you set it up.
    I'm really anxious to set it up now, so the sooner you guys reply, the more i'll love you all :p
    [edit] btw the same guy is selling another one of these screens for £20 on amazon, go grab yerself one :) [/edit]

Last edited: 20 Feb 2004
  15. Cannon^Fodder

right i really need your help, i've got a signal going into the LCD via my Svideo, got an s-vid to RCA , plugged into my video in on my LCD display. I cant get it to show a picture though, if you have any ideas, guides or anything, please give us a hand, been browsing the web for ages, with very little results
    cheers,
    sean

[edit] ME DID IT! changed my s-video adapter for another one, and it worked, dunno why but it did ! :) [/edit]

Last edited: 20 Feb 2004
  16. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

what card is it? and have you enabled a TV through svideo in the drivers?