Soyuz*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tmerelin, 8 Feb 2004.

1. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Amd.

I'd say go with AMD Athlon 64bit FX. And how are you getting those for free?

2. tmerelin

tmerelin What's a Dremel?

I'm actually going for P4.. The prices on A64FX are gargantuan :jawdrop:
    Where and why I get the mobo and mem for free is a secret :naughty:

3. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Of course, I should've expected that I wouldn't be able to drag the secret of teh free. :lol: :waah: :hehe: lol. O well. The 64fx prices are crazy, but its the best processor out there IMO. Keep up the good work, and if you keep going at the pace you've set, you'll have one nice rig. :clap: :clap: :hip:

4. tmerelin

:D

Today is modding day again! I made a biiig mistake on friday and today is the day to see if something can be done. :worried:

I accidentally made a hole in the wrong place and now I'm out of steel plate. :waah:

5. tmerelin

On with the mod:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I drilled the holes for the switches. This means that all the hard and boring part of the building is over! When these plates are bent, I'm finally seeing the final form of the case. Then only the lids (2+1) and 2 backplates, about 20 small holes and 3 big uns and I'm done! :rock:

Oh yeah, and the finishing :duh: That's going o take some time unless I come up with an easy solution :confused:

These are blocks I've had sitting on my desk for 4 months now. Last week I almost sold the chipset block because I got it for free and didn't need it. Well turned out hat now I need it because of the P4-scenario :thumb:

[​IMG]

Went shopping also: Some vibration dampeners. Cost a $$$ (wouldn't believe it)....

[​IMG]

..but not as much as these babies. But hey, every W/C-system needs pneumatic quick connectors. At least if the case is in two parts. :hehe:

[​IMG]

6. TheOnlyAndromeda

TheOnlyAndromeda Duh, what's a dremel?

THis looks good Im watching :clap:

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

now, where does one get a sheet of the lovely uv-green stuff, and what's it cost? E-mail me on this dude!

8. tmerelin

Now that's hard for me to say as I'm from Finland and You're living in Canada... Try the yellow pages or google?

I got mine from a friend who's working with plastics. They make any kind of piece from any kind of plastic. A4 sized piece of 3mm plate cost me 6€

So my advice is to look for either a plastic seller (acrylic sheets and stuff) or a plastic workshop. Look for extra pieces and/or samples if you don't need it in quantities. Say pretty please and promise to spread the word about a nice service and you'll might get it for free :thumb:

9. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Hmm. 6 euros... That's like $10 for me - really good. Mayhap i can send you 10 euro for a sheet of the stuff and shipping? (money orders) - also - how uv reactive is that stuff (pics please)

10. tmerelin

Sorry but no thanks.. :sigh: I haven't got the chance to contact my friend at this point to get the plexi, because he's in another town. Plus the posting of the plexi would in itself be about 8 euro + packaging... so: :search: ,errr, Google.

The plexi is quite cool looking in daylight. In interior light the glowing is visible, but not so much. I reckon you have to use either a uv-cc or a uv-led to really make the plexi shine. I'm going for the uv-led method. Look for the Orac3 to see. I think mine is about the same.

I will post the pictures as soon as the case is developing. The plexi is already cut but because it's in the workshop, I'm trying not to remove the covering in too early phase to avoid the risk of breaking or scratching it :dremel:

11. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I'd better keep track of this one. Looks like it will be one helluva super computer! :clap:

12. Father-Time

Father-Time Minimodder

Looking good, real good.

If you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction of these pneumatic quick connectors, that would be nice.

Good Luck :clap:

13. tmerelin

What do you mean?

14. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

I think he's asking where you got them at and if you could please tell him where you bought them he would appreciate it. :D :idea: ;)

15. tmerelin

:duh: :wallbash: :blush: :blush: :blush:
    Rectus from Germany is the make of these connectors. Hard to say where you can get them in England but try googling? Hope this helps.. :)

16. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

they sell those conectors at home depot in the US but I would be woried since the 1's I c here are for air and corrosion would be a concern also acidental disconects would be catastrophic. But regardless very good idea wish they had conectors that close automaticaly on both ends when you dislodge. If that were the case I would implement em on water blocks so this way it would be an easy to change cpu's and hasle free.

17. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel What's a Dremel?

I LOVE the finish on that metal.. the scalloped reflective lines sort of thing..

whoooo tasty! Angle grinder.. are we talking about an air tool with basically an over sized dremel cutoff disc on the end, only a little floppy? spins really really fast? Thats the picture in my mind..
    Are you just grinding the surface really quick like and then spraying clearcoat on top?
    I'm very curious.. Awesome project!

18. tmerelin

Actually the air-version are as sturdy as the water-ones.. Accidental disconnecting is not possible. You have to pull them guite hard to get them open, so no problems there :hehe:

Even if they had the both-end-closing types, it would be almost impossible to use them with a block, because the system is almost 10 cm long. And with a piece of tubing and even with a 90-degree angle they wouldn't fit in a normal case.. :sigh:

19. tmerelin

Thanks!
    The angle grinder I've used is an electrical one, but basically the same equipment. We actually have a 3kW version also :eeek: A big dremel...

The method is just like you thought. The important thing is to be fast and light. Otherwise you'll end up with a bumpy metal. These things grind really fast.

And btw the project is going to be on hold for at least a couple of weeks because I have to go to the army for reserve force training :blah:

20. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

It looks BAD...ASSS i will definitly be following this, looks soo cool, now i am so into DIY audio, i must build...build...