Modding Need ideas for extra floppy.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by pr3zlen4, 14 Mar 2004.

1. pr3zlen4

pr3zlen4 What's a Dremel?

Ok, I just bought a new case and it has two floppy drive bays. It looks rather tacky to only use one for my A: drive. So, I'm asking the community to help me out with some ideas for spicing up my extra slot.

2. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Put a little LCD screen in there that displays system stats, Winamp data, or whatever.

Better yet, fill both of your 3.5" bays with a larger LCD and either do away with the floppy drive completely (they're way out of date now) or put it in one of your hard drive bays but facing away from the front of the case in case you need it one day.

-Sam

3. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

I think I good way to use that extra slot has always been to tune it into a switch ...center...thing to control all your fans or lights, just drill a few holes and put the buttons in, theres almost one in every modded comp here if you need ideas you can look in the gallery. :D

4. coorz

coorz Miffed

A multi-format card reader, fanbus, cigarette lighter (oh no forget that one).
    But the real cool stuff to do is to ditch that antique floppy drive and insert a LCD or VFD display :dremel:

5. demonstalker

demonstalker What's a Dremel?

I'd go with the idea of mounting the floppy backwards and just leave both slots blank...or if you still want something in them go with a lcd or sumtin

6. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Switch panel for fans and lights:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grump

Last edited: 1 Feb 2019
  7. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

a magnetic drive for credit cards :)
    and a chip reader for ATM cards

8. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

lol, um, i agree with the lcd idea, they are awsome, and can be helpful in a variety of situations...

9. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

i have an lcd, to go in the 3.5" drives you wold need a 2x16 character one, o a lot of modding for a 4x20. I'd prefer a vfd now though.

10. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

I did this with mine. Matrix Orbital VFD. Which is fixing to get removed. I put all this great bling bling on my case, and then tucked the case in a desk where none of it can be seen. So the bling bling is getting used in other computers. Where it will be more visible.

Because a VFD is like clear tail lights on a car. It adds 20 mhz to your computer's speed.

11. acidbrain

acidbrain What's a Dremel?

Look for a nice LCD that fits in 2 3,5" slots und mount it so you can flip it down.
    Then mount your floppy behind it. May need some :dremel: but would surely look cool.

But wait, when you flip down the LCD, you have still a spare slot... ;)

12. Vash Theis

Vash Theis What's a Dremel?

Lcd

turn it intoa blender..that way you can make smoothies!! :D:D:D

honestly, I would take the two bays out and put a bigger LCD in there. Or a rheobus in bottom and an LCD in the top floppy. that would look pretty sweet. so your little LCD changer is blingin to your fans changin and da moosik. LOL. just my 2 pennies:)

13. 3vil-Grin

3vil-Grin What's a Dremel?

My opinion is this...
    Put a nice LCD that takes up both bays...
    then mod the case to have a hidden floppy insert, like on the side or even by the power supply on the back, just to be different!!

:D :dremel:

14. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Check out my mod... I eliminated the 3.5 inch slots entirely... no need for floppies now.. :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

15. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Or you could stelth the floppy like some have done. There is a mod guide to do this somewhere on the site. Good Luck