1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone work for Safeways or other supermarket?

Discussion in 'General' started by andrew, 5 May 2004.

1. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

Well it's taken them 2 weeks, but today I got the phone call.

"Hello this is.....from safeways, regarding your application, I would like you to come for an interview"

Yes, I'm on the up, and getting a job. Wohoo. (well hopefully)

But they said I have to take some test or something. Do you know what this is about? I assume all supermarkets are the same.

2. penski

penski BodMod

I didn't take a test when I started there.

Then again, this was 4 years ago. :/

*n

3. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

I was thinking it might be to make sure I'm not some retard because I have no qualifications. But I'm taking my GCSE'z next month.

4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym What's a Dremel?

Congratulations

I worked there for 3 years after I left collage and decided what I wanted to do with my life.

The first two were great the third - well I left didn't I? :D

The good thing is that with a bit of hard work you can go up in the company. Also the money is usually their to be earned if you are prepared to do any overtime.

Oh and there were usually loads of attractive ladies in short skirts in the summer :naughty:

5. penski

penski BodMod

Overtime can always be had - I did several 120 hour weeks.

A combination of till girls and shoppers can drive you quite mad in summer.

There is one S in Safeway.

*n

6. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

:duh: Thanks

7. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

You did 7 straight days of 17 hour shifts, wth??? Is that legal or even humanly possible?????

- M@

8. Pseudonym

Pseudonym What's a Dremel?

Sounds like Safeway. I was routinely there from 5am to 7pm - and people wonder why the staff are like zombies?

9. penski

penski BodMod

Work 7am-4pm then 9pm-7am then midday-2am, 7am-4pm et cetera, et cetera...Nice pay at the end of the week....Especially if you get paid supervisor wage, double at night, double on sunday and by some fantastic quirk, quadruple on sunday nights.

I also once worked 32 hours straight.

Safeway can make you very rich and very tired.

*n

10. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Jesus christ..........
    - M@

11. penski

penski BodMod

It was only going to be a normal 12 hour shift but the other two people on my dept crashed their car (they were on their way to a friends house) and so I had to cover their shifts.

Caffeine & pro plus.

*n

12. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

The tests are their to see your personality.
    They're pretty straight forward so don't worry about it.

13. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

Oh ok thanks for that. I probably didn't give a very good impression when I answered the phone though.

Woman:Hello is this Andrew
    Me:YES (horse sound) YES THATS ME
    Woman:blablabla
    Me: :D :D :D

14. Cheryl

Cheryl What's a Dremel?

I have worked for tesco and asda and definetely prefered tesco. i can go back and work there anytime i want back home which is cool.

15. penski

penski BodMod

They employed me - you have nothing to worry about.

*n

16. Cheryl

Cheryl What's a Dremel?

Dont fret about it -most supermarkets normally tell you a load of stuff then test you to make sure you were listening and it will just be some basic test -nothing too taxing .or it may be like a health and safety test -honestly it shouldnt be that bad -trust me if been to loads of supermarket intervews and have worked for too of them .

17. chartley

chartley What's a Dremel?

I am a worker of Safeway right now, and even though the money's not quite as good as some other supermarket it's an alright gig.

Personally I'd advise you to do anything you can to stop them til training you, otherwise from my experience they'll try to pull you away from what you're doing if it's busy (I aint til trained :rock: ).

As has been said, summer = short skirts and attractive ladies which can lighten up the shift a fair deal.

And for the induction test it's a piece of pee, I had 3 sessions lasting about an hour and a half for each one. One had us walk around the store looking at what the store does to help customers and other stupid stuff like that. Another was basic maths and english (look at the main staff of safeway, if they can do it you can do it too I'm sure) oh, and also a bit of role play (no dodgy stuff mind) - stuff like "A customer starts swearing and throwing bottles at you, what do you do?" (hint, official answer call over your supervisor/duty manager. real answer shout the security guard and get the person thrown out). The final session was a quick interview then them asking me "do you want to go to the Deli or coffee shop?" (I answered Deli and boy am I glad, coffee shop could've been hard work)

18. penski

penski BodMod

I'd have to agree - the only thing I refused to do was till work. Once you are till trained, your life is over.

*n

19. chartley

chartley What's a Dremel?

It's scarily true on that, we can have a queue of people needing served and people still get pulled away from the department to go on checkouts.

I've had my head in a chicken oven cleaning it (and inhailing lovely degreaser fumes) and been told to go to checkouts and 'help out'. Fools they all are I tells ya.

I also wouldn't fancy me being thrown onto a checkout, I'm by no means stupid but I have an accute inability to count money quickly when put on the spot, make a pizza or clean an oven oh yeah... count out £7.83 in change < runs away >

20. Cheryl

Cheryl What's a Dremel?

I know what your talking about -it was like that when i worked at tesco :sigh: