Motors 1978 Lincoln continental town car

Discussion in 'General' started by Enzo04, 4 Jun 2004.

1. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Not taking or warranting a dig at Americans now,

but have American car Manufacturers started to sway away from big engined cars? Opting for the now more fuel efficient 1.8's 2ltrs etc? I know Americans only pay the equivalent of 23p per litre compared to 89>p in the uk. I'm not saying jack the price up, but sure the american government should sit down and think... hang on.... oil is running out.. other countries pay a LOT more than us, should we enforce some kind of size reduction on our engines?

2. Enzo04

Enzo04 Banned

We need more fuel efficient cars thats why we're building small engiend ones
    like the Scion series meant for young adults that have like a 1.8litre engine and everything standard Cheap and gets good milage..
    in the future when i get a new ar im getting a inline 4

3. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

Growing up, my friend had a 67' Cutlass Supreme. Talk about an engine too big for a car. The engine mounts were all cracked from the stress. Step on the gas in neutral or park and the torque made the shocks bottom out. Talk about your POS, but it was fun to beat on. :thumb:

Check out these specks (Bigger WAS better):
    Olds 330 cubic inch V-8 'small block'. 10.25-to-1 compression-ratio, 320 Horsepower Rocket V-8. Four-barrel Quadrajet carb mounted. Dual exhaust.
    0-60 mph in 7.1 seconds 1/4 mile in 15.5 seconds (MotorTrend Feb. 1967)

Enzo04 - My fiend sold the Cutlass just for the engine. Bought it for $200.00 put in 60.00 for paint at Earl Sheib and sold for about 1200.00 You may look into that.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2004
  4. Enzo04

Enzo04 Banned

Mines a 460 cubic inch,
    im gonna put a new engine in it too

5. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

"Let's go, Parker!"
    "Yes Milady!"
    :D

heh heh, can someone also explain what a micra is doing with NOS? apart from the comedy value...

6. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

i don't understand why it had to be so big(mainly because i come from the UK)over here we ship around 5 people and their lugagge around in a car with 120BHP quite easliy.its got air con and now FINALLY sat nav. and it does that at a reasonable 30mpg.

7. Jedi

Jedi What's a Dremel?

Woah! 35 gallons is massive, i thought the audi a6 on top gear the other day was fairly roomy at 19.5 gallons, that'll be going on for £75 to fill up. And it went from london to edinburgh and back on that one tank, 800 miles, pretty sweet for a v8 :D :D

8. Piratetaco

my dads car is only 15.

9. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

I learned to drive with an 84' Chevy Blazer. Tank capacity 36 gallons. 2 wheel drive 8mph, 4 wheel 2-3mph. Full size V8 (before the 6cyl Vortec). Before the Jap imports, everything built was a monster. Think about the culture in the US in the 70's and 80's. Big hair, Big Mac, big house, big income, big car, big TV, etc. It was the time of excess! This car is a perfect example. Now, only the seniors drive to huge boats of a car. Makes perfect sense: have the statistically worse drivers, driving the largest and least safe vehicles on the road. :duh:

That car is a classic and with the suggestions already given would be phenomenal. How much is she asking?

10. Piratetaco

i think thats quite funny.
    8Mpg bloody hell. thats like £1 a mile

11. j`w0n

j`w0n What's a Dremel?

Heh what a classic. We used to have a 1990 Towncar...man that thing was smooth. I actually saw one of those late seventy ones cruising down the highway a few days ago. It had a real glossy black finish, chrome trim, and looked REALLY nice.

12. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Well, yes and no. There are a lot more sub-compacts on the road than there were when I started driving waaaaaaay back in 1984, but there are also the monster SUV's out there. Personally I drive a mid-size car (Pontiac Sunbird) with a 1.8l inline-4 ('bout 27/28mpg)

There's NO way that people in the US would stand for the government enforcing or restricting size limits on our car or engine. If they want to force the auto makers to make them more fuel efficient, that's okay,

13. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Note that the Scion is built by Toyota...

As for big cars/big engines. If you grew up in America in the 80s you would have a COMPLETELY different outlook on life. The thing about that car is that it was the ****. You could COMFORTABLY fit 5 of your closest friends (or not quite as comfortably fit 9 or 10 of your VERY closest friends) and go cruising all night without having to worry about filling up for a few days. And you knew you wouldn't have any problem going with that monster engine.

And for the racing comment, put that car up against a ricer from the same year, then we'll see which does better... My '90 Bronco (deffinitely NOT built for racing) with a 100% stock setup (351 Windsor) will outrun some brand-new ricers... I think that says quite a lot for size. Sure fancy technology can be a good deal, but at the end of the day, if you put all the same fancy technology into a bigger engine, you'll have more power at a similar price (not taking fuel effeciency into account).

14. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

:rock:

I was wondering who actually built the Scion. I've been seeing a TON of commercials lately from them..

15. Piratetaco

that Scion is quite cool looking. i wish they'd sell 'em over here

16. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

You can take the scions. Ugly as sin if you ask me. Granted the sedan that they aren't selling yet doesn't look too bad, but the first two models... good God. The SUV is like a brick on 6-inch wheels and the car... gag me.

17. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

a 4 banger against a v8, hmmm

i have a 1.8L inline four in my chevy malibu (30+hmgp)

at the same time i have a 350 small block v8 in my beater of a truck (<10 hmpg on a good day and going downhill the whole way)

that being said

a v8 is a really big waste for a daily driver these days, unless you need the torque. i have mine for the utility of it (i have paid for it just my moving and pulling things with it) but i do not drive it hardly anywhere unless the weather is bad or the wife has the other car.

gotta love how easy the v8s are to work on, bigger cars = more room to work.

but anyway, 8mpg may not seem like its too bad, after all its only a few miles to anywhere youd want to go right? wrong. it gets 8mpg on the highway if its running perfectly. in a car that old owned by an elderly woman, i wouldnt count on that. also concider that when you are stopped at a light, you are getting 0 mpg. stop and go will drop you down on economy. and if you drive back and forth to work more than a few miles, half of your paycheck can go toward gas, not to mention insurance and other stuff.

also, its gotta be damn near impossible to get parts for that car in the UK. and if you can get them, expect them to be 3x more costly than something for a smaller, newer car. not just maintenance parts, but if you happen to hit something in that you probably total the car without doing all that much damage to it.

anyway, it comes down to what you want.
    i personally would love to have that car, but i wouldnt drive it everywhere i had to go. long term costs like fuel and maintence can very easy make the old cheap car as expensive as a brand new car.

18. Enzo04

Enzo04 Banned

I took these pics, this is my car baby!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Well I am thinking of geting a older lincoln town car. It has a but load of miles but runs gr8. Its a 93model and has the 5L v8. the interior is gr8 and the exterior could use a new paint job. My buddies father who owns the car curently gets about 20mpg on it city because he tuned it that way and the car still pulls like a truck. Btw this town car has 378k miles and dosent burn a gram of oil.

The thing about a big engine not being fuel eficient is totaly bs. The new corvette has a 6L small block and gets 25mpg and still stout enuf to put out 450hp and handles like a dream. American car automakers have been really tweaking their big engines to provide more power and eficiency.

Dont get me wrong I like small engines too but not the gas powered ones. I like disel engines under 2.5L but anything over 2.5L in my book should be gasoline.

BTW if you read car craft (us magasine for hotroders and such gear heads.) they had a article on how to tweak small asmall block 350 to give you 25mpg city driving and still give you enugh power to haul ass. Acording to the article thy managed to do it and quite impresively too. They managed to get out the 25mpg and they still kept the power curve smooth and the engine put out 400+ hp.

Also the american big engines have allot of durability in them. THis same magasine picked up a junk yard 350 and just dynoed it b4 beating on it like hell. before the beating the old engine had 250k+ miles and was puting out around 280hp and they just put in a 650shot of nitrus and they tried to blow it. that sucker put out 698hp and 702foot-lb of tourque b4 the carb blew. They disected the engine and found out that not only did it withstand those presures but it wasent damaged at all. Talk about durability.

PS dont flame me about me liking big cars. I am fairly tall (6foot) and I hate litle compact cars, I find them uncomfortable no matter how they are built. Also I love the rumble a big engine makes.

20. Enzo04

Enzo04 Banned

WOW WOW WOW WAIT A SEC

Dont buy any american modeled cars after the year 79
    wanna know why?.
    after that the engines and everything changed....
    i saw the 1980 town car and im dissapointed
    and PLEASE dont get that 93 :worried:
    get a model under 1980 if your going to get a town car
    theres some on ebay selling under 5Ks...theres a Deal for you :D
    im just worried cus most Buick cars from the 90s pretty much didnt cut it at all when it came to reliability.... trust me... my family had alot of cars from the 80s and 90s.........

Tags: