Valve software Demo PC by PilouX [SHIPPED]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by piloux, 8 Jun 2004.

1. noobidoo

noobidoo What's a Dremel?

ya congrats :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

THX guys :)

I will take the time I need to make it great :)

well, I open this thread to talk about the mod and share some ideas... not to talk about money ;)

3. AsEeL

AsEeL What's a Dremel?

Oke da versta ik wel maar zeg nu niet dat ge zelf die case en hardware financiert :confused:
    Mijn vraag is niet wat je in ruil krijgt maar hoe valve in de kosten tussenkomt...
    Ge kunt toch moeilijk en de case en de mod en de hardware uit eigen zak betalen om dan alles af te geven:blush:

For those who dont understand Dutch
    Its about my previous post but it is too difficult to explain in english :p
    I have an idea
    Remember the big black building in HL2 betademo...
    Maybe you should build that :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Jun 2004
  4. Davedude

Davedude What's a Dremel?

I'm sure the mod and the case will be awsome... but I am a little disappointed in the hardware choices. I think you should have gotten ahold of a silver cascade waterblock or something else that is great. Also... an X800XT should be there insted of a pro, and an A64 system is kind of a requirment for a great gaming system. You can probably get ahold of a 3800+. For hard drives... I dunno if you just have 1 raptor - but I would definatly go for 2 in raid (If you're going to buy a great hard drive, you better run it in raid). Sorry... I didn't have time to read the whole thread so just ignore me if something was already said about that :D

I can't wait to see what you make!!! :dremel:

5. AsEeL

AsEeL What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry but I dont think an AMD64 3800+ or an FX 53 and a X800XT will be necesary (how do you spell that :p)
    A P4 3.2/3.4 and an ATI X800pro will do the job as smooth as those other overprised hardware stuff. Maybe you gain some fps but 100fps or 120 fps wont make the diffrence in a game but in the pocket :p
    Ooh I almost forgot Raptor 36GB in RAID 0 gives about the same performance then a Raptor 74GB not in RAID... So I would buy the 74GB instead of the 2 little ones :) in RAID

6. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

well , the x800xt is not available now then I choose the pro one...which is an extremely fast gpu...

just one question : can you tell me what's the difference (without talking about size storage) between the raptor 36go 10000 rpm 8 mo and the raptor 74 go 10000 rpm 8 mo? :duh: I think they are working the same

7. ReikoX

ReikoX What's a Dremel?

Suggestion:

First off, congrats. Your first two mods were a delight and I am looking forward to this project. About 3/4 through your Blackmesa mod someone suggested that you put links to your updates in the first post. I believe your reply was that it would take too long to do it as you were mostly done with the project. I would like to suggest this now as you don't have any updates yet and there are already 4-5 pages of posts. I would love to be able to surf your updates without reading 30 "awsome subscribed" remarks.

Again congrats and keep up the good work.

8. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

THX :) nice idea , I will editing first post on each update

9. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

The 74 is slightly faster, but really, you're 'splitting hairs' here - its a VERY small thing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Less hardware bickering, more on the modding people!

Piloux : I hope this turns out very well for you, as I'm sure it will - I'm going to make a suggestion - (the rest of you, dont flame me!). Look to symmetry and elegance for your design.

de elegantie en de symmetrie zullen nuttig zijn - misschien u zou iets (als die douane waterblocks in het laatste geval achteruit moeten prachtig mechanisch bekijken) en toen het werk, aan geroest iets?

Translation -
    elegance and symmetry will be useful - perhaps you should look at something beautifully mechanical (like those custom waterblocks in the last case) and then work backwards, to something rusted?

I hope babelfish works :D I thought it might be a bit easier for you to understand - I can barely speak english well, let alone another language.

10. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Some of the base line models do not contain DVD drives. My workplace just ordered 6 or so of them and they all came with standard CD-ROM drives. (P4, 2.4 systems iirc)

Anyways, isn't this thread to talk about the mod? :naughty:

11. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

ok tbh that translation sucks (u cant help it tho and I wont blame you)

I could easily translate that english part to Dutch if there is a need but are we sure Piloux is from the Dutch speaking part of Belgium? I believe I caught him speaking French although I'm not sure ...

and the second thing: I think the english isnt that hard for him to understand so does he need a translation?

12. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Yes but I seriously dout that those systems would play hl2....not many base systems probably will.....Any yes the mod, but side tracks are needed to keep busy between piloux's updates
    :D *just dont let it take over the thread....*

13. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

Damn right you won't blame me, blame my free translator :worried: :hehe:

I thought I saw him using dutch in the dark crystal case mod thread, but to be honest, I have no idea. Ive used words before that he didn't understand, so I thought perhaps it would help; he could pick out those particular words etc. It wasnt meant as an insult, more to save his time.

14. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Excelent news Piloux, best of luck with this case, you can count on me watching this :D

15. sanosuke001

sanosuke001 What's a Dremel?

Getting propositioned by the company that drives you is amazing. If I were asked to do something along those lines I wouldn't want it to be shoddy either. Take your time, man; do a good job.

One thing I might add if I were you is your name somewhere on the case, give yourself some credit when this case is on TV and stuff. Also, maybe making the case look more futuristic would be cool. Instead of having it look like it was in the ocean for the last ten years, go for something that would make it look like it were brought back 50 years from the future. Add LED's EVERYWHERE but give them some kind of purpose. Maybe make a HL2 logo from LEDs and then make them be sound sensitive like a sound equalizer or get brighter and dimmer with the % of processor that is being used. Make the outside of the case look like some kind of futuristic alloy that hasn't been created yet; maybe some weird color as well with a nice "shader" (the only word I can think of) as a coating on it.

Or go the total opposite and take your first design and make it as if it were run down even more. Give it blood stains (red and not-red - like alien blood) and maybe a few bullet/laser holes/damage; maybe a shotgun or two as well. Add a decal of the reservoir window cracking and make the lights inside blink as if the power is failing. Give it that ominous you're-gonna-die and there's-no-way-out feeling that we all look forward to in the next HL game.

Just some ideas. I know your next case will be amazing either way. Keep up the good work and congratulations!!

16. backseatmiddlehump

backseatmiddlehump What's a Dremel?

WOW four pages and no mod posts yet, thats gotta say something.

One question, does valvesoft want a blackmesa look-a-like or are they gonna let you spread your creative wings?

17. Mixx

Mixx What's a Dremel?

if you have actually read the freakin thread u wudnt be asking this.

Great work Piloux, i am a huge fan of your work.
    Tres Bien Mon Ami, Tres Bien :hehe: :thumb:

18. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

look now theres someone talking French to him (not too diffucult French i must admit, but French nonetheless)
    Piloux to get all language deiscussions out of the way, what's your native language? you prefer French or Dutch? ofcourse it would be best to use English wherever possible but if there might be language problems between Dutch and English I could help out :rolleyes:

good lcuk have fun Piloux ;)

19. coil

coil What's a Dremel?

Failing lights would be fantastic (as per sanosuke's post), though I'd be wary of going overboard with LEDs - HL was never unrealistic, and always just barely near-future. But something like a busted up, industrial corridor with a sputtering flourescent light... that, to me, is the essence of Half-Life. Getting that kind of feel for the case would be awesome.

20. Ceax

Ceax What's a Dremel?

Piloux is Belgian and speaks French