Modding eMac into Pc

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Vocko, 18 Jun 2004.

1. Vocko

Vocko What's a Dremel?

I had a link once showing how its done, but I cant find anywhere :wallbash:
    I want to check it out to see how its done, because I want to mod my sisters Pc into an eMac case.
    If someone has a link to a eMac -> Pc mod could you post it here, 'cause I want to see if it its worth all the effort.

thnx

2. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Why ruin a perfectly good E-Mac??

3. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Why ruin a perfectly good PC??

Never seen one done though that doesn't mean it hasn't. There will probably be a bunch of issues with incompatability...You can get PC>MAC monitor adapters, but I imagine that you'll have probs with the size of the motherboard, power supply, etc...

4. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

I saw one that put a PC in an grape Imac. He use an LCD for the screen and the rest of the PC in the housing.

5. Vocko

Vocko What's a Dremel?

Yes that's it! That's the one I saw too. Can u dig up the link plz ? I would be very grateful.
    Is it eMac or iMac ? The design looks like just like a eMac on apple.com

Anyway I wouldnt ruin a good Mac, because I would buy just the casing and put in it a 15" LCD panel + mATX mobo (or maybe a VIA Epia if I could strech the budget).

The point to this whole excercise is that my sisters tower is on the floor and she is constantly, by accident, kicking it. Also she isn't the tidiest person in the world so there is a lot, and I mean a lot of dust, but no space on the table to put it on :duh: .

I would use a PC monitor but there isnt enough space in it to put a LCD panel + mATX mobo and also it hasnt got a place for mounting the cd drive. The size is limited to 17" because there aint room for more. Apples casing for e(i)Mac has enough room to accomodate a 15" CRT screen + mobo, so why wouldn't there be space for 15" LCD panel + mATX mobo ?

6. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Can I have the insides of the mac please, thanks :naughty:

7. pzr

pzr Banned

Edited by G-gnome - pzr banned by the staff.

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Jun 2004
  8. Vocko

Vocko What's a Dremel?

What insides ? :confused: I would only buy the case :idea: :)

And what's interesting with that ? It's simple and I can do it in a moment, it's not interesting, it's not exciting, it's not anything but simple and plain.
    I thought this forum and site are about modding :dremel: , did I miss something ? :eyebrow:

9. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Now ladies lets keep it semi civil....No need for name calling...

Vocko: Expect to get different ideas from people as thats what this forum is about...You could just as easily mod the shuttle to support the lcd thus still getting your dremel fix :D

pzr: dont expect everbody to like your ideas....qtip it...."quit taking it personal"

10. Vocko

Vocko What's a Dremel?

I'm ungrateful for what ???? Did u give me any advice on what I asked ? No, u gave me your opinion on what should I do... And then u called me a **** because of what ? That just shows your "good" manners.

Doors - The End - verse: West is the best...
    Yeah, right....

So what if its been done so many times ? So what ?
    I, personally, did it 0 (zero) times. So for me it's new and exciting.
    My sister likes the idea, so I think I'll go with it, because she is very picky.

Nice welcome... :sigh:

edit: I was writing the post than I noticed this one
    Now ladies lets keep it semi civil....No need for name calling...

I dont mind listening to other ppl ideas, but I dont like other ppl stuffing their ideas into my face and then calling me names for no reason at all.
    I choose what I'm going to do and what I'm not going to do.
    Maybe I would have used the Shuttle but my sister doesnt like it and I think that it would spend more time in my room then in hers, at least for the first month or two :D
    If I put her whole computer in a eMac case it would stop me from constantly taking it apart and it would make her happy because it would look nice, it would be quiet and I would stop me going into her room frequently.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2004
  11. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

pzr, please consider calming down your posting a little. Your etiquette in this thread has been rather poor... offering ideas is all well and good, but you'll also need to accept that those ideas might not be to the posters liking. Personally I can see why Vocko replied as he did. In my opinion, modding a pc into a mac case *is* more interesting and more adventurous than going out and buying yet another shuttle case. Shuttles are wonderful things, yes, but for a bit of modding fun (and face it, that's why we do it) why not just try something that comes to mind.

Just because you don't want a mac case doesn't mean no-one else will. Bear in mind others' differing personal tastes. Your post is not really very constructive, and as Vocko said this *is* a modding site not a shuttle marketing site ;) :D

I'd say you and Vocko misunderstood the tone of each others posts, I'm sure no-one intended to start a war.

Welcome to the forums Vocko!
    :thumb:

12. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

edit: pzr is no longer with us :hip:

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

if youre not going to play nice maybe you shouldnt be playing at all

making your opinion known is one thing, but going way OTT and offending others is another

we have established that you dont think it is a good idea, and we have also established that the thread starter doesnt care whether you like it or not.

by continuing to argue you are wasting my time, other mods' time, the time of people reading this thread and the time of the person looking for help.

14. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I say go for it Vocko. I've never seen an eMac before, and because of the lovely link that pzr provided (;)), I now know what they look like. And yeah, it is totaly possable. How much experience do you have though? Irreguardless, if you need any help with mounting the mobo or cards or anything, I or one of the other helpful members will be more than happy to help you (I've personally done many custom mobo mountings in cases where there we're no mountings - case-in-point, check out "Idle Hands" in my sig ;)). Happy modding :thumb:

15. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

ah thata an emac never seen that before nice !

make sure you post pics

welcome to the boards :thumb:

16. Go4t

Go4t i

i say go for it the one that i saw turned out decent
    wouldnt be hard to fit all the stuff in there either

17. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

There now, that's much better isn't it (w/out pzr's nonsense)

I hope you'll go ahead with the mod Vocko it's a good idea, and I hope you'll still share it with us.

"Keep on moddin'" :dremel:

18. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

hehe, nice idea

i like the idea of putting your pc in an imac case. say what you like about apple, they do have some shiny cases ;)

you say your only going to buy the case, not the mac inside it though, where from? i woudlnt mind an imac case for the firewall box, it would look slick, but it would hurt my wallet to fork out for an lcd for a machine that doesnt need a monitor.

i'll be interested to see how you mount all the gubbins in there.

btw, welcome to the forums ;)

19. Vocko

Vocko What's a Dremel?

I'm trying to find a defect iMac or just the case, as a spare part. I found the case, but the guy wont ship outside the US :(, also I found a guy selling 2 defect blueberry iMacs. The price for these 2 Macs is ok, for now, but there is still two days 'till the end of the auction and I cant participate :(.
    So my first problem is how to get a case, then come all the other stuff.
    Also I found the link where the guy did an iMac->Pc conversion, but it's dead :(
    After all of this I thought of :waah: and giving up :sigh: , but I wont give up that easy... I'll find a solution (I hope :) )

If someone is willing and able to help my e-mail is voka [at} bitsyu {dot] net

Also if someone has any suggestions how to do this I'm listening.

20. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Link works for me... if you really can't see it I can try and mirror it for you (temporarily, I don't want to enrage anyone at HiTechMods) so that you can download it

This shell might need some work, but it's cheap (at the moment)