Silent Hill Series

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by acron^, 28 Jun 2004.

?

Is Silent Hill any good?

Poll closed 28 Jul 2004.
  1. Yes, buy it instantly!

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. No, it sucks baws!

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. What's Silent Hill? Where am I?

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

I'm not sure how I was never drawn to this series previously, but after listening to a friend, I am seriously considering going out and buying the whole damn lot.

However, I thought I'd put it to our friendly panel (you) and gather some of your opinions.

So...buy it? Yes/No

2. muse46

muse46 What's a Dremel?

yes! unless you are of a nervous disposition, then i recommend barbie style games.

Silent Hill scared the bejesus outta me, 2 was even worse! 3, well, i installed it and havent played it yet! Can't wait for 4 :D

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It doesn't suck bawls, but it's not a game to rush out and buy immediately. If you like the genre, buy it, if you don't, don't bother :)

4. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

I played the original Silent Hill on the playstation when it came out, and I must say, it scared the crap out of me in parts. For me, thats awesome, i love scary things. Some of the puzzles (at least in the first one) were kinda tedious, but the game managed to produce a very creepy atmosphere, and if thats your kinda thing, go for it.

5. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Urgh i couldnt stand it, hate games where things jump out on me :worried:
    Had it on the PSX and never even got to the school, just ran round the streets shooting those nasty flying things

Tis an excellent game though if you wanna play 'kick the baby' for real :)

- M@

6. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Silent Hill is a great game, I haven't played 2 yet but my g/f has it and says it's awesome.

7. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah missed out on the best part! The school was awesome! One of my favorite scary moments was in the school (the locker room for anyone thats played it). And the alternate school was just oozing with ambience.

8. ginguskahn

ginguskahn What's a Dremel?

I never liked the 1st on the PSone however I really enjoyed the 2nd on the Xbox. Only played the 3rd on the PS2 for a short time however it seems like more of the 2nd :)

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Better than resident evil? (for psx)

10. ginguskahn

not imo :)

Loved RE to death, bought a cube to play it again :p

11. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

Just this minute finished Silent Hill 2... Buy it!

12. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Bought SH3 & just got to the Subway!

I thought the whole game was in the Shopping Mall and now i'm like wtfhuhbsomgh4x? This game rocks so so hard. It made me so scared last night. It actually invoked a mad run-back-from-the-toilet-to-my-room-with-eyes-clenched-tight-shut dash. :eek:

13. ginguskahn

So everyone is looking forward to "The Room" then?

14. a9on87

a9on87 ...

I remember getting Silent Hill 2 not long after it was released, me and a mate had finished it within about 11 hours, was damn addictive though and we played it for 11 hours straight! lol

I've not really played it since though, but there are different endings so I might play it again some time.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Diggin up an old thread, but for a good reason.

Started on silent hill 4 on the xbox the other night, popped the game in, went upstairs to pee whilst it loaded leaving my house mates downstairs. I got out of the bathroom to hear "OH MY GOD! TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFF!!" from my female housemate as she watched the intro sequence from behind several pillows. Gotta say though, she stayed and "watched" as things came through walls and i beat dogs to death with a steel pipe. Much scaryer than any resident evil game, although its very "oh it was a dream" and story orientated. First person is far more creepy.
    However, i think cause ive played virtually every resident evil game (bar outbreak on the PS2 and ive yet to get round to doing code veronica x on the GC) and you know the sounds and thinking behind it after one or two of them.

16. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

IMO it becomes repetitive and only the graphics change (or try to change). I'm talking about all Silent Hill episodes.

17. penski

penski BodMod

I played the original for about 20 minutes, switched it off and refuse to play any other.

The only other game that has scared me was the original AvP, playing as a marine.

*n

18. arrowswake

arrowswake What's a Dremel?

Heh, everyone's so scared of these games. Now, I'm not saying these AREN'T scary, but has anyone tried the Fatal Frame series? I rented the first one, and bought the second one... They're both more scary than any other game or games I've ever played, by a landslide.

They just have a different formula than the other games. The other games have creepy music and camera angles and make you jump at every chance they get.

Fatal Frame sets the scene by taking moments that they COULD have something jump out at you, and instead just do something creepy that IN ITSELF wouldn't scare someone, but when coupled with times that they REALLY execute the scary card, it's amazing.

Not to mention you're fighting ghosts that can only be seen through your camera lens, so sometimes you'll be in a room thinking it's empty, and you bring up your camera to take a picture of something on a table or whatever, and there WILL BE A FRICKIN GHOST RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.

Eh, it doesn't sound as scary as it actually is, with my explanation. If you guys like scary games, I highly recommend you try it.

19. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

or if you've got a GC I highly recommend Eternal Darkness, much better than RE imo. I got the second Silent Hill on the Xbox for christmas last year, haven't played much of it - for some reason just moving about in the game made me feel travel sick :confused:

Edit: Fatal Frame is a good game too, I bought it from Game a week before RE remake came out for the cube and then swapped it a or RE-r when it came out (back when you could return a game if you didn't like it or whatever) I'm really sorry I did... Fatal Frame was the better game.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2004
  20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Installed the latest Silent Hill game (don't know which one) played tor 20 then deinstalled it.
    Slow, slow slow slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow