Modding An idea for my shuttle.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Chester, 20 Jul 2004.

1. Chester

Chester What's a Dremel?

Im thinking of putting a 7" LCD in the side of my shuttle. Theres space on the right side because im using an external power supply, so i could easily get one to fit, but how would i get it to stay, and what would i attach it to? The other question is how do i wire it? Its a standard car TV, Pyle is the brand. I picked it up cheap $50, so i might as well use it. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Could i use it as both a TV and a monitor?

Last edited: 20 Jul 2004
  2. fartonmyear

fartonmyear What's a Dremel?

of course you could use it as a tv/monitor if your video card supports it. i'm assuming it's 16:9. most car tv lcd's have svideo's don't they? so if your video card has a svideo then you could just connect it like that. where did you get that lcd by the way?

3. Chester

Chester What's a Dremel?

got it at a local convention, its just a cheapy, you can go to Pyles site, they make newer models of it now. Yeah my vid cards a 9800xt, i think the only problem would be mounting it, its kidna heavy, i cant think of a good way to mount unless i cut it to fit with molding into the case, but then the case wont come off... Maybe i could cut a window in the side, and somehow mount the TV inside the case, so you could see the TV through the window?

4. stoned penguin

stoned penguin What's a Dremel?

a nice little interior frame made out of PCI slot covers should hold it nicely

5. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

I would take the display unit and make a nice case for it and set it to the side of the shuttle instead of putting it ON the side of the shuttle. Then you have a nice display for watching movies or something

6. fartonmyear

7. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

More info on the LCD would really help. What kind of inputs does it have? Do you have a thickness measurement on the LCD? More pictures would also help. Side and back, if possible.

Even with the LCD casing off, it looks like it would touch the video card, and on the other side, the PSU is definitely going to be in the way.

If it does fit, you'll need to build a mounting bracket. If it's got rear mounting holes, you're in business. If not, you'll have to figure out something else.

8. fartonmyear

if you don't do anything with it i'll buy it off you :D

9. Chester

Chester What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

theres a pic of the TV inputs, theyre standard headphone plugs, i have a cable that turns RCA into headphone that i use for my XBox in the car and such. Its got an antenna ontop, and i could chop off a few cm off the bulkness if i took the casing off, which i would do anyway. Either way i have to figure out a mounting bracket of somesort, its got 4 screw holes (1 on each corner), pretty much all i have to work with. I really want to mount it in my shuttle so that way its an all in 1 compact media/gaming box. the measurements are: 7.5"X1.1"X4.75 (around).

It shouldnt touch the video card, the vid card is on the other side of the case, see here :http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=64093

Edit: I just hooked it up to my PC(by the svideo port) and it should work.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Jul 2004
  10. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

Ah, right, you're the one with the cool window.

Well, if you've got your heart set on putting it inside, more power to you. I'm interested in seeing how this will work out.

11. Chester

Chester What's a Dremel?

Its gunna be tough, im still thinking of a way to mount it..., eitherway i need a superslim 100mm or 80mm fan for the TV to keep it cool but i can just glu that to the back or something.

It would look best if i cut a hole in the case and put the TV in it flush, but im not sure what kind of molding to hold it in with to make it look decent. Im planning on running it during LAN's and when i want to multitask (for watching a movie while doing other things). It would be cool to use it as a CPU/Vid card temp monitor aswell.

its all up in the air :-\

12. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

hm... If you have to mount it to the shuttle, why not mount it on the front or have it fold up from the top?

13. Goldfish

Goldfish What's a Dremel?

I think the best way to do it would be to get the actual LCD screen out of that casing, and make your own mounting bracket. Maybe move some of the circuitry somewhere else to give you more room.

If you made your own bracket out of somthing, then you could attach it to that then just bolt it onto the case.

14. Chester

Chester What's a Dremel?

id prefer to mount it inside the case, not to the case but to the frame of the inside.

15. Chester

Chester What's a Dremel?

while using a power supply not ment for it i think i fried the tv :idea: umm time to buy a new one.