1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IDF News: BTX update

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 11 Sep 2004.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Intel have been talking up BTX here this week, despite the apparent reluctance of the rest of the industry to move to the form factor.

BTX is the first major evolution of the PC form factor since 1995, when ATX launched. Unlike ATX, which had a very quick uptake, we are yet to see any systems or cases using it other than prototypes, despite the fact that BTX launched last year and is an open standard. In fact, even Intel's own predictions state that BTX will take until 2007 to even ship in half of new systems.

The BTX standard proposes to cut down on the number of fans in a system. With a single 120mm at the front, ducted over the processor, and the PSU fan venting out the back, adequate system temperatures can be maintained. In fact, adding an extra fan to the chassis can degrade performance, due to the way BTX keeps airflow running.

BTX not only has a standard for standard tower PCs, but also for mini Shuttle-esque systems, called picoBTX. This means that you'll be able to buy standard SFF components and mix and match them with cases, rather than buying an entire barebones solution. picoBTX motherboards are around 27x20cm - ideal for modding!

We're taking to different companies about BTX, to get their opinions on where this new form factor is going. Look for a follow-up article here soon.

2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

picoBTX eh? not leaving much room for if they decide to make a smaller one are they? Pretty much stuck with femtoBTX.

3. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

just a note, the CM stacker supports BTX :)

4. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

From what I hear, its a PITA to change it over though.

5. apollyon

apollyon What's a Dremel?

I've actually seen a BTX system, gateway has had one out for about a month now that i've had in at work (best buy). It does seem to be fairly efficient cooling, however I haven't had a chance to check temperatures, and i don't think that my managers would be to happy if i overclocked our display model :D
    I'm wondering when the industry as a whole is going to get away from fan cooling anyways, I've had a Sony in for some time now that uses heatpiping, much quieter then fans and fairly efficient.

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

And the new lian lis i think :)

7. Hephaistus

Hephaistus What's a Dremel?

What new lian li supports BTX ????
    The v1000, v1100, v1200, v2000,... does not support BTX, it's just ATX but turned around.
    Or is there a new lian-li that i haven't heard of. :confused:

8. NemyMongus

NemyMongus What's a Dremel?

No I think he is referring to the V series. I haven't seen anything that is true BTX from Lian-Li yet.

Tags: Add Tags