The purple queen - UPDATE WITH LOADS MORE PICS!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ErisDS, 3 Sep 2004.

1. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

I didnt use rubbing compound cos i couldnt find it.. and wasnt sure what it was lol
    I used ordinary turtlewax, which made it nice and shiney, but it could do with a nice polish. I didnt sand mine before i finished it with the wax cos that would have taken the shiny bits off of the paint and made it look crap.

2. Scraggles

Scraggles What's a Dremel?

Thats right. I forgot you used metallica paint. Anyway, I've been reading up on some painting guides and I'm assuming your supposed to sand out the flaws of the final clear coat and then use rubbing compound. If that's the case, the rubbing compound is supposed to bring back the shine... but in my testing (I'm practicing painting on various cases) I sand the final coat, and of course it looks sanded. After I sand I put on the rubbing compound and it does make it shine... but not enough... I was using 1500 wet sandpaper for the final sand... I'm going to go out and get some 2000 and try it that way. I also want to get some better rubbing compound... This turtle wax isn't doing it... From what I saw 3M was the most recommended brand.

I'd love to hear some input on painting if anyone has any. Also, Eris, pictures damn you! Pictures!!!

3. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

[​IMG]

:D

Scraggles, once you've sanded the flaws from the final colour coat, apply a really light coat to restore the colur/shine properly. Dont sand the clear coat unless you have to. After that use rubbing compound or T-cut to remove drips, and give a quick once over to make the shine "even" after that, use a dyed car polish. Then wax.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2004
  4. Scraggles

Yeah, this turtle wax crap I bought scratches the finish more than it shines it. :-(

5. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

Well here we go.. finally i can present you with some pictures of my case in its current state.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first couple were taken with the bubble lights set on white. Here they were changing thru the colours, the camera caught it on red.
    [​IMG]

This picture made me realise how badly i need to do something about the power supply. It looks ugly!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now for the "night" pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No explanation necessary on those.. boy does she look sweet!
    I have to play with the pics a bit more to see if can get them to look purple tho!!!!!

Anyway enjoy :D And ill keep u posted when something more happens!

6. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

looks good. But definately paint the PSU cover black, or polish it. Just as long as it isn't grey...

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I'd paint the back black and shiny the top and front of it :thumb:

8. bullfrog

bullfrog What's a Dremel?

Dont have time to readthe whole post, but is that suppose to be purple? If its blue, then I really like the colour!! It looks really good, I might try to get the same effect on my next mod. Cause its not alwasy easy to get the colour perfectly even, so this is supposed to look cloudy.

Well done on a great, when I first read the begining I thought this is going to be some crapy chick case with minor mods that just get messed up. But boy was I wrong, You are VERY skilled at modding and female. Never thought I would use modding, skilled and female in a sentence.

:dremel: mod on!!

9. Scraggles

Strange... She's skilled at being female. With years of practice of course.

10. Exomoto

Exomoto What's a Dremel?

uhh that was a bit of unfair stereotyping

anyway I really like the mod, especially how you put the lights out and visible on the front. This is kinda what I want to do, take a premodded case and add some nice mods without overdoing it. The psu could really do with being painted black, or made to look like shiny metal. Also I think it would be nicer with a cover on the cd drive and an acrylic bezel thing (like the one around your temp screen) around the lcd. Also the wires look a bit messy, but they're a bitch to sort out sometimes.

11. crash32953295@msn.

crash32953295@msn. What's a Dremel?

hmmm shinny, but i agree with you on the psu, i bought a black one any way but i did wack some led fans into the thing.

And please try and hide the cables a bit :wallbash:

But over all the paint finish is looking good :rock: :rock: :rock:

12. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

For the PSU I'd say just spray it black, very little modding can be done to a PSU to make them look decent, spraying is the cheapest and quickest way tbh.

13. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

That is one amazingly sexy case, love the colour. The bubble light things at the front make it look even better. And the night shots look MINT.

Awesome work, congratulations!

14. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

I know theres alot of thread to read but here are somethings that i have said i will be doing...mod is NOT FINISHED yet!!!!

Firstly i have a cable braiding kit waiting for me back home, ill be going back today and so ill be able to do all the braiding next week, the cables will be tidy!!!

Secondly, im going to stealth the drive and cover the lcd with the leftover acyllic panels, im waiting on a missing nut that my friend H thinks he can sort :D

The psu is in definite need of modding... i know theres not much that can be done with them but theres quite a bit of clearance between the psu and top of the case... iwas thinking about blacking out the back.. making the top shiny and adding more lights...lights are goooooood.

Apart from that all is good, but i may well invest in some polish when i have some cash.

I was talking about adding a grill, but i think thats too masculine. Id also like to swap the green&red hd and pwr leds for purple or white...

Ahh theres so much more to do hehehe..

15. crash32953295@msn.

crash32953295@msn. What's a Dremel?

Sorry Eris jumped the gun hehe, Bad day at work the phone dont stop ringing

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
    :wallbash: :wallbash:

So i recon put some led fans in the psu and then spray it the same colour as the rest of the case could be nice, what other lighting you got, and also how u securing those ccf on the front?

God phones ringing gotta go

16. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

The PSU is the antec true blue, it already has blue led fans.

The lighting i have is 2 sunbeam bubble lamps
    These are on the front secured with the black velcro that they came with.
    I kinda missed the step out where i attached the lighting because i was running outta time. My bf drilled the holes in the front for me, cos i was busy packing and then we spent last saturday putting in all the lighting.

There is a uv cathode placed along the back of the case, and a uv lazer led in the top of the case facing backwards (visible in the second to last picture).

The 2 case fans also have blue leds and the graphics card has red leds, it looks purple!!!

Ohhh and the case is purple, the true colour of it is better shown here
    [​IMG]

It is actually a really nice bright mid purple, not at all blueish.

17. Hiren

Yup I'm man if you want a missing nut finding :D

Erh wait that sounds so wrong : :eeek:

18. Exomoto

Exomoto What's a Dremel?

Okies, I had a hunch the things i suggested were still on a to-do list but I just thought I'd point em out to make sure.

Oh one idea, since you have alot of uv lighting in there, maybe you could add like some uv reactive molexes or something? not sure if it'd be "too much" but I personally think it'd look nice

19. Hiren

After inspecting the work first hand yesterday I can say this case rocks, the quality of the paint work is superb and must be seen to be belived. Well done and keep on modding :dremel:

20. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Very nice mod indeed, but can anyone say CABLE SLEEVING? :D

As the top of the PSU is exposed maybe cut holes and light it or a simple spray or down to metal polish would be good. Anyways good luck, and have fun :)