1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech: MS to cut features from Longhorn (to meet release date)

Discussion in 'Serious' started by jezmck, 28 Aug 2004.

1. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

lol

2. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

if only it was that cheap($150=£83 but over here XP pro sold for £150 or $268)

3. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

I have to say that I've always been happy with Windows. They all have their moments, but in general, they have been good to me and to be honest, another OS is fine by me.

However, I would prefer them to wait and make the OS better, rather than release early and supply dozens of fixes within the first week :) .

4. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

I guess I'll have to wait untill I can get a corperate edition copy at a lan party.

When there is a virus which will install it's self onto a machine that is online, without any error on your part (other than trusting a MS product). I think that even a person that couldn't write a single line of C++ has room to complain about crappy security.

5. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Catching every bug in every line of code is very hard indeed even for experienced C++ programmers. Windows is a horrible combination of being an exceedingly complex entity with near limitless control paths and hundreds of millions of testers that explore all those control paths ;)

6. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

lol i wonder why people hated the Windows 2000 source when it was leaked

7. RTT

RTT #parp

Actually they didn't. Quite a few anonymous people (for obvious reasons) commended that on the whole it was good code. The fact is in JADS post: there are always bugs that you're NOT going to find in testing that a few hundred million people ARE going to find.

8. Iced_Bacon

Iced_Bacon What's a Dremel?

If you want to get metaphorical and conspiracy-theory-ish about the name Avalon, its also the name for the representation of an intelligent "Operating System" (I won't say what relevance that has here or I will spoil a great series. Read the book - its a godlike read for anyone who digs computers anyway)