Modding Camera LCD

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Exomoto, 17 Oct 2004.

1. Exomoto

Exomoto What's a Dremel?

After moving into a new house I've found that the previous owner has left a broken digital video camera in one of the rooms. When it is turned on it says there is no memory (I assume that's the problem with it). However the lcd screen starts up fine and doesnt look too shabby.

I couldnt get a snap of it working because I only had enough batteries for the camera I used to take the pic :p
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/exomoto/DSCF0022.jpg

Would it be possible to remove this screen and somehow incorporate it into a pc? It can play any recorded video so I assume it is quite decent.

My computer uses a rather old Intel motherboard, I've never used an lcd screen before and I have a gfx card with two monitor plugs (if that's at all necessary).

Sorry for long post but I added lots of information to make things clearer, thanks for any help I receive in advance :D

Last edited: 17 Oct 2004
  2. Exomoto

Exomoto What's a Dremel?

I tested it out and it actually seems to be a fully functional camera. The memory empty error was just because it didnt have any photos on it. Looks like he left it behind because of the poor quality images (320x240). I also found a manual for it but it didn't really say anything useful so I'm gonna keep looking around. Any advice or even a quick "it'll never work" would help alot.

Edit: The camera has a 6v dc in, which I'm guessing I could mod to just power the screen and then either run a plug through the case or if I'm feeling ambitious, maybe run to the psu somehow.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2004
  3. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

Doubt it'll work, most screens need some kind of controller, which may or may not be seperate from the main board on the camera, and even if it was, good luck wiring it up to VGA or DVI. ;)

You might get lucky, though, so if you don't mind possibly killing the camera, give it a shot!

4. Exomoto

Exomoto What's a Dremel?

The camera is seriously old, the memory is built in and the picture quality is low, i got no problem screwing this thing over

Yeah I had thought that maybe a controller of some sort could be a problem, but I was thinking that it should come with one in the camera so it might just be a case of taking the sorta image input wires for the screen and wiring them into a vga cable (I'm a bit of a beginner in case you hadn't noticed).

5. Exomoto

Exomoto What's a Dremel?

Ok i took the camera apart, hopefully this will give you a better idea of what I have to work with

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/exomoto/DSCF0028.jpg

the white/blue wire on the top left circuit attaches to the top centre of the circuit in the main camera

the three purple/black/white wires attach to the bottom right of the circuit in the top left

the orange/white strip from the screen in the bottom left attaches to the reverse side of the circuit in the top left.

Anyone got any idea's which part the controller is and how it all works? I'll continue to look around online and see what I can dig up

6. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

Whichever PCB the translucent amber cable from the LCD connects to is the controller board. You might check out some of the PSone LCD mod threads here. They can be very informative about how to wire different LCDs up. Also looks to me like that big white rectangle is the cold cathode backlight for the LCD, and the purple/black/white wire set is probably its power. If not, someone correct me. :thumb:

7. Exomoto

Exomoto What's a Dremel?

ok thanks. the board it connects to also connects to the backlight, so that must supply its power. I'll try to figure out if I can use the it without having to include the main circuit inside the camera.

8. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

looks like you need to turn in on, apart, and get out a multimeter to see what everything is. if you can figure out the power from that, it would be a step forward. then you should move on to finding what are the video signal leads and go from there. good luck and thanks for not asking about a laptop LCD!!!