1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks file sharing problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dbappa, 17 Oct 2004.

1. dbappa

dbappa Account Closed

having problems with network. got four XP comps hooked together through a netgear router and cable modem. can all share inet easy, what i cant work out it how to make it a proper network so that we can share files and play LAN games.

tried networking guide here, and various other places. networking wizard never works, tried defining each PC's ip in TCP/IP properties but then inet stopped working.

(from the start) can someone tell me what i have to do. Thanx

2. dbappa

dbappa Account Closed

anyone?

3. ajack

ajack rox

You need to open particular ports. Find out which ports each app uses and open them, there are many guides on google.

4. MiniG

MiniG What's a Dremel?

User names???

When i was setting up my little PC and laptop network, the problem I had was usernames and defining access to them.

Also I'm assuming you've got the workgroup setup the same on all PC's?

MiniG

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

This is how I set up my network and it works absolutely fine now, real smooth *touchwood*, this is how I did it and it should work with you (all 4 computers are windows xp - 2 laptops, 2 pc's)

1. use the network setup wizard, exactly the same for all computers with same network name.

2. Set up a static IP address for all computers (if you dont know how, ask)

3. Map network drives for all computers

4. Configure internet and firewalls

Now I can play network games, use internet etc.

Hope this helps

6. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

How do I setup a static IP on each PC?

I have a Westell 2200 DSL modem that also acts as a firewall, it is connected to a DLINK 8port switch.

7. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Static on XP:

Start > Network Connections > Right Click your LAN connection (remove from bridge if necessary, then go to Properties.

Go to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), under the General tab, select the radio 'use the following IP address'. Then in 'IP address' type 192.168.0.XXX where XXX is a number, say between 170 and 240. Now for each computer this XXX must be unique. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0. preferred DNS server is the IP of the internet gateway. Is the modem connected to a PC or not?

As for the firewall, u'll have to configure that.

NOTE: before changing IP, I guess u should create a restore point cos if they go wrong it can be hard to get back to how it was before.

8. dbappa

dbappa Account Closed

thanx for the replies, when i get back will give it a go

9. mirrrion

mirrrion What's a Dremel?

Wait, can't he even hook a modem straight into a switch? Doesn't it need to be a router with a switch? Because if it IS a router, then the router might be acting as a host gateway, dolling out the IP adresses it so chooses. For instance, my router only uses 192.168.1.xxx. Defining a different IP adress causes problems, if I'm not in it's required range. Some of the solutions you've been given might be hindered futher by your hardware.

10. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Sharing files - You just need to make sure all the computers are part of the same workgroup, and have unique names. Then right click a folder to set sharing access.

11. dbappa

dbappa Account Closed

well all computers are connected and sharing the internet, except mine can be seen by everyone else but not accessed and i cant see anyone else on the work group, set up all computers the same way, no one has a fire wall. have tried both LAN ports on my mobo (3com and nforce). Ips are all set to obtain automatically, only diff between rest of comps and mine is i have Win Xp Pro instead of home and i have bluetooth

12. dbappa

dbappa Account Closed

ignore, all these weeks of trouble have being caused by Zone Alarm, the reason i never mentioned it was because i stopped it from starting when windows does-assuming it wasnt "on" but it had being the whole time. DOH :eek:

Tags: