Dialed HTPC - Final Update 21-11-2004

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ynema, 24 Jun 2004.

1. Deep-Blue

Deep-Blue Part-time Overclocker

Got a little idea here. Is the front going to be black like the rest of the case, cos if so, as its a VFD, mayb using black/purple translucent perspex would look really cool. That or dark blue to match the murdered Musketeers.

BTW: Sweet idea with those Musketeers! Keep it up!

2. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

That's a shame, as that's not really the point of modding (if you know what I mean). All the coolest cases I can think of (blackmesa, ammobox etc) I've no idea what the specs of the machines are... it's just not important.

I wonder if you could get perspex and/or light the vfd to make it match the gauges?

3. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Yeh I am having a little Perspex window infront of the VFD and the front is black (Just finished painting it now). Also another thing the Blue glue from the Dial in the musketeers are from blue LED's behind the dials which I haven't moved so I'm thinking of getting a dual set of Small Cold Cothodes and Placing them behind the dials in the front panel which will also give the front panel an interior glow. Also I'm not sure what colour yet but probably blue.

I have to take my dad to the airport tomorrow cause he's heading back up to Broome (Sunny weather up there :D ) so I won't do anything until late afternoon and that will involve putting the front panel together and hopfully finishing everything.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2004
  4. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

I like the job that you did with the guages... and the holder for the guages...

Nice work :D

5. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Sorry about the lack of updates people But after I finished painting the front panel and was putting it all together I droped the front panel and split it so I've been doign a few repairs and just repainted it today. And tomorrow I'll put it together (without droping the front panel) and When i get access to a camera I'll put some photo's up.

Cheers
    Alex Ynema

6. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

ah thats alright, crap happens, and there is nothing we can do about it so there is no reason to b*tch and complain, when all we can do is wait

7. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Sorry about not updating this thread for ages but I've been back at Uni for 3 weeks now and it's been pretty heavy on the work. I've finished building the front panel and it looks awsome but i'm still wiring it all up but that's taking a long time due to my poor soldering ability and the fact that I don't have much time.
    I'll put some pictures up as soon as I can.

Alex Ynema

8. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

## Update Time ##

Well Heres some photo's of the Case as it is now. I'm still working on the electrics for the Front Dials so only of of them is in at the moment for display but the rest of it works great.

- Corner View - The little gap you can see between the front panel and the rest of the case is just there because I haven't screwed the lid shut yet.
    [​IMG]
    - Full View - The LCD Screen that goes with the Case, an Awsome Acer AL1931 19" LCD it has great response time and is really bright. You can also See my customized version of myHTPC running on the screen, operated by remote.
    [​IMG]
    - Front Case View - as you can see the mesh parts in the middle let way to my light through from the CCFL so I'm going to put some cloudy perspex behind the mesh to diffuse some of the light.
    [​IMG]
    - Front Case detail - You can see one of the dials in place.
    [​IMG]
    - Front Corner Detail - I haven't put all the Socket cap Screws in yet as you can see. You can also see the glow from the fans in the side of the case and the glow from the case feet.
    [​IMG]

Well thats all for now it'll probably tack me a while to do the Circuitry cause I have very limited time now that I'm back at uni but I do have a break coming up on the 18th of september so I should be finished then if not before.

Also I'd like to mention I got my Lian-Li case featured in the Hot Box of Atomic Magazine if anyone wants to vote for it www.atomicmpc.com.au.

Cheers all
    Alex Ynema

9. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

We Want Update!!

10. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

nice work :thumb:

Where can I get the "HTPC program" you have on the screen? :rolleyes:

11. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Okay I'll try and organize an update After my Exam's finish. The program on the screen is called myHTPC which was a free program and has now been replaced with meedio essentials they are similar and made by the same people but ones free and the others not.
    Also I have finished all the dials and such I just need to organize some photo's

12. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Final Update

Here are a few images of the finished case working away happily under our TV.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well that's it for this case for now at least I have a bit of work to do on the airflow as it seems to idle at around 50C which probably isn't the best.
    I've just started work on my new Tribal-Li case mod check it out it's link in my Signature.

Cheers

13. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

That turned out very nice. Do you have all the analog dials functioning?
    Great job!

14. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Yes as you can see the Volt one is working and the VU one is working but because nothing was playing it was still and the temp one will work as soon as i decide to plug in the thermal probs.

15. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

Nice work man :thumb::clap:

16. TMM

TMM Modder

Spangly! :D

Its probably a bit late now, but i really think the VFD would look better if it were mounted behind some tinted perspex to all you can see is the lit up lettering on a black background ;)

17. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

I think it's myHTPC - you can find the new version of the program at www.meedio.com.