1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dangerous?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skotter, 30 Nov 2004.

1. Skotter

Skotter What's a Dremel?

Well i was having some mass BSOD's during gameplay or movie watching or anything that was stressing my machine out. I tried memtest and all the good stuff, when i was researching it on google, i found a program called Prime95 which i'm sure most of you are familiar with...Well with the first test after 1 minuet, it returned this error...

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

So I googled it some...found that turing up your RAM voltage helps, so i turned it up from 2.6v to 2.7...and it helped, but still crashed...

So today i read some more about turning up your vcore to help...I cranked itup from 1.6 to 1.85 and my ram voltage up to 2.8....sure enough i ran it for 2 hours without a crash...

My question is...are running these voltages bad for your computer/components. According to ASUS probe, i was running a 48C under full load, and 38C currently typing this message. My system specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
    Zalman Pure Copper Heatsink
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard
    512 x2 Crucial Pc2700 DDR
    128MB Geforce FX 5200 AGP
    1 80gb segate HD - Primary
    1 160gb Wd HD
    80 GB - Games/Movies/Music
    80 GB - Installers, Game Patches, Game Mods, Demos
    52x24x52 CDRW

so if anyone can tell me if i'm going to melt my machine before i do, i would appreciate it. :D

2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

I've run up to 2v through my Athlon XP chips and up to 3.4v through my RAM without any adverse effects - I'd say that "safe" voltage goes up to about 1.85v vCore for an XP chip (with sufficient cooling of course, I assume by Zalman copper heatsink you mean a 7000 series or better, rather than one of the passive jobs) and 2.9v for vDIMM. Those temperatures look fine, I'm perfectly happy with less than 50°C full load.

Are you overclocked, and were you when you first started having problems? If so, then just make sure you stress-test before using an overclock, as if you're not supplying enough voltage then you will get errors. If not, it could be one of your components giving out - everything should run at stock speeds and voltages perfectly without a worry. If something starts to fail then you can frequently put off the inevitable with voltage increases, but it's not a good thing - you're much better finding out what's failed and getting it replaced.

3. Skotter

Skotter What's a Dremel?

I wasn't overclocked....I never really messed with anything in the bios when i built the computer...so i'm not sure what the "stock" ratings would be... I'm not sure what would be giving out though. Before during gameplay i would get

bad_pool_caller
    page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
    irql_not_less_or_equal
    driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

Usually pointing to nv4_mini.dll....*shrug* :blah:

4. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

those sound like either ram or video driver issues... try swapping them around and re-installing.