LCDGUYS HTPC Canuck

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by lcdguy, 3 Dec 2004.

1. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Well the planning is done kinda.

On a plus note i got my first bit of hardware i had to buy my $35 LCD module came :). BTW if anyone has any GOOD instructions on this kind of a kit any help is greatly appretiated.

2x16 Character Parallel LCD

[​IMG]

My plexy comes on Monday :D

2'x6' 1/4" Clear
    1"x1"x24" Square Plexy Rod.

More pics comeing up later, and since my camera has a 256MB memory card the updates will be scarce but bountiful.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2004
  2. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

nice another HTPC, what program are you going to use to for it? plexi cases are always nice.

3. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

i was thinking of LCD Smartie. as it supports serial and parallel i also hae the port95nt driver as well.

Ya i am going to be sanding the inside and outside of the plexi to make it kind of smoked/frosted then light it with CCFL just can't decide weather i want white or blue CCFL.

I am also toying with hinging the top plate of it to make access to it easier.

but if by program you mean what front end i was toying with either geekbox or XP Pro. If i go XP Pro then i will just customize it alot for key presses. :D

The Specs:

AMD AXP 2500+
    Gigabyte GA7VAXP Ultra
    MSI GFX 5200 Personal Cinema (only solution i can afford)
    512MB Ram
    40GB Boot HD
    200GB SATA Record Drive
    6.1 Digital Soundcard (for the time being only)
    420W Thermaltake PSU
    2x16 LCD
    DVD-ROM (for time being)

Wish List:

Better Capture / Vid Card Setup
    This Keyboard / Mouse: Gyration Media Center Remote & Keyboard Suite
    Soundblaster Audigy

Last edited: 3 Dec 2004
  4. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

I say white CCFL, blue's overused. Plus, it'll look like a big ole' ice cube, which is cool :D

5. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Here's a link to a parallel lcd wiring guide, hope this is what you were asking for :thumb:

Good luck on the project. I would say mount a white ccfl. As smoguzbenjamin said, blue is sort of overused, and white is something you don't come by every day.

6. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

thanks for the wiring guide, the lcd they show looks almost identical to my 2x16 ,very handy. and since white has been the unanimous suggestion then it shall be white CCFL.

7. Bob 1234

Bob 1234 What's a Dremel?

Where did you happen to buy a display like that for $35? I thought they generally went for upwards of $70

-Bob

8. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

KNopmyth is a free frontend HTPC OS awsome works great and is easy to set up for a linux HTPC OS. That cinema does rly suck i would wait for some more money and get a hauppage pvr250 its 130 dollars and works great. Is this think going to be in visiblity of your tv cause if it is then i dont think any light would look right. The light can get distracting atleast i would think i dont have lighing in mine but then again mine is a regular case sitting on the floor next to tv.

9. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

I say mount one of each ccfl. How often do you see that?

10. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

ok to answer some questions, i ordered 2 white CCFL, i will be switching them so i can turn them off it is to destracting, in regards to the PVR card it is 130 USD not 130CDN those cards go for close to 200CDN which cannot afford at the time so for the time being it will be the personal cinema. In regards to the lcd kit here is a link, BTW that was 35CDN. I just checked the site and they don't list it as being a product they sold, Sorry :wallbash:. This nice thing about my idea is that it fill fit a full size ATX board so i can mount my other machine in it when i get bored with the uber tall black case. I am also toying with the idea of making a Storage Box for extra Hd's.

11. luvbug

luvbug What's a Dremel?

If it's going to be a clear acrylic case with white ccfl's....... maybe add 1 light blue ccfl to the mix to tone it down some, and call it ICE³ (ice cube(d))

luvbug

12. logan

logan flashback!

Maybe it's just cos it's monday, but I think that name is utter genius. :clap:

13. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

it is going to be translucent, i am going to sand the clear to make it trans lucent. Nice idea on the name i like it. I may just engrave it into the front panel.

14. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Update

UPDATE got my Plexiglass today :)

first is this sheet of plexiglass this is one big sheet of plexi. 2"x6"x1/4"

[​IMG]

the quality sucks cause well when i turn the lights on the glare is even worse, BTW the reason it's blue is because that is the protective sheet on the plexy.

Next we have my Plexi ROD of doom, no seriousluy it's a 1"x1"x24" square rod i am going to cut up into squares later on to hold the case together.

[​IMG]

Well thats all for now, gotta finish figuring out the actual demensions so i can start cutting up the plexi :)

15. thawk

thawk What's a Dremel?

16. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

thanks for the link, but unfortunately i am in canada, and shipping stuff california is quite expensive, i have done it before. also if your interested in CHEAP lcd's check out www.eio.com .

17. coorz

coorz Miffed

E-Bay is also a good place for LCD's :) . There's loads of character LCD's , just beware for controllerless graphical LCD's.

18. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

i guess i'm just paranoid but i have never really trusted sites like e-bay. but thanks for the tip. :)

19. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Update, i am going to keep getting it to work, but the project will be using a LIS 2 VFD display now.

Linkage: L.I.S. 2 Red VFD

oh and i have decided on name. Since i am in canada and a canadian i am simply going to call it "Canuck" as the case is going to be white with a red VFD. :)

20. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

pics = bandwidth exceeded.