A/V Just got a pair of ATH-A500's (Headphones)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DivineSin, 16 Dec 2004.

1. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

All i can say is this is one of the best purchases i've made in quite a while. These things are excelent for anything i throw at them. I've put on a little jimi hendrix, yes, goo goo dolls, slipknot, korn and a craploads of other bands and they just bring the music alive. Not to mention they simple own in movies, havnt tested them out on games but since these have a great soundstage i would say there gonna be great for games too. My only complaint is that they creek a bit, but since they are used and a few months old i think i can fix that up with a bit of oil!

2. dom_

dom_ --->

you cant have a soundstage with headphones... the sound is straight into your head. unlike properly setup stereo speakers where the soundstage is truely 3d giving depth and breadth where you can picture the location of an instrument.

3. DivineSin

I beg to differ with this, a soundstage can come from two speakers exactly like it can come from two drivers in a headphone. I dont know where you got your knowledge but i believe your wrong.

4. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak What's a Dremel?

mate i dunno what you are talking about, Soundstage is created in the mix, not just by speaker placement meaning it is perfectly visible in headphones aswell. Infact, you typically position stereo speakers to minimise the room noise that can be added to the sound which creates an artificial soundstage.

5. dom_

dom_ --->

i meant the position of the speakers aids the soundstage...

headphones give a "2d" soundstage as the sound is left and right

stereo speakers give a "3d" soundstage

6. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Yeah, new headphones are always fun. My old pair just gave up the ghost (the left channel wire broke down by the 1/8" connector) and I was tired of fixing them, so I decided to upgrade. I decided to go for a $50 panasonic pair, after doing some comparitive listening tests (read: opening up a few packages in the store and having a listen on my mp3 player)
    I liked the sound of them even better than some of the seinheisers, but they were open air, and I'm used to closed/semi-closed sets. But it always seems like I upgrade my headphones every time I get a new pair.

I love the big 50mm drivers in these, I have yet to make the headphones clip or distort. (Ive cranked up the bass and made my sound card start to clip, but not the phones) Plus they have enough bass that they can vibrate a bit with my techno, a very good improvement over my old pair. (I think I put a small tear in the left diaphragm with too much bass on my old ones :blah:)

And I finally got a pair that goes over my ear, rather than on my ear, about time!!
    Personally, I like the soundstage of headphones. I surround systems drive me nuts, especially when the surround in movies is done badly. I havn't used a pair of stereo speakers in such a long time though, I can't really comment on them though.

Enough of my ranting, have fun with your new cans.

EDIT: 1337 posts woohoo!

7. D4VID

D4VID What's a Dremel?

i bet a nice quality headphone setup probably costs a whole lot less than a nice quality hifi setup too

8. DivineSin

Yea, thats why alot of people appeal to headphones. You can buy say..a one grand headphone setup. An amp, headphone, and source and have it compete with a system that would cost near 10thousand. Its much easier to get great sound from headphone technology (probly due to the fact of the limited fan base compared to hi-fi and the fact that the money goes to a tiny case and tiny drivers instead of large cases and large drivers).

9. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Headphones and HiFi setups arnt in direct competition, Ive got a decent set of headphones and music sounds ace through them but ive also got a HiFi setup for when people are round or if im doing something where im either moveing or dont want to be shut off from the world. Good headphones are undoubtedly, for the money a better way to listen to music but they are often impractical and antisocial.

10. DivineSin

And of course you dont get to feel like your getting the snot kicked out of you if you have a good sub ^_^

11. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Amen to that :D

12. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

speaker help create the psyco-acoustic effect of depth, they are also more closely matched to the positioning of the microphones (there is a mic-ing technique that uses 2 mics and a manquin head, but thats for another thread) than with headphones, Especially with live performances.

[​IMG]

with speakers you can place them where the mics are, where as with headpones the noise "source" is eather side of your head, rather than infront.

As you can see with headphones you end up being placed at the points of the mics, now if the mic is directed AT the stage/source/whatever you end up rotating the audio 90 degrees to drive it from the side rather than in the line of sound.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2004
  13. xilron

xilron What's a Dremel?

It all depends on your headphones/amp. With my older headphone setup, I had a huge soundstage. Most people who heard it said it sounded like a band playing in the middle of a cathedral with you standing just outside. But with my newer headphones, the soundstage is much smaller. It varies a lot from brand to brand, Grado in particular having a small soundstage.