Windows what GFX card & system are you running with HL2?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Satyric_saint, 17 Nov 2004.

1. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Yup i know, friend of mine on the same system but with a nforce 2 mobo, has no problems, so i think a little upgrade is in order, to see if its any better with a nforce 2 board.

2. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

a) Giga-Byte Radeon 9800XT "Overdrived"
    b) 1024 x 768
    c) P4 2.66 @ 2.83 and 1GB RAM
    d) Steam from ATI coupon
    e) a little stuttering after loading a new area, but it's expected; otherwise, it's awesome :rock: :rock: :jawdrop:

I don't understand why people are saying that D3 has better graphics; HL2 seems to look better. Oh wait, maybe it's just too dark to see the graphic :blah: :rolleyes:

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

imo HL2 graphics are FAR superior to those of doom3 as we actually get to SEE the textures instead of them being hidden in the dark.
    Yes this game is not without its faults (textures looking crappy up close) but alot of this could be to do with the fact that it will also be released on xbox in the not too distant future. if you can do half the work to port it then so be it I guess.

No matter what anyone says I love this game to pieces and my opinions of it being better than doom3 will not and cannot be changed.

I think people ought to just respect the fact that some people just plain dont like it and others do. People all have different opinions and so we should have. It is what makes humanity different and gives us all our own personality.
    If we didnt then we would end up just like the Combine troops in HL2 :p

4. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

a) GF4 Ti4200 128mb
    b) 1280x1024 (TFT)
    c) Athlon 1.33ghz tbird, Abit KT7a 512mb sdram
    d) Gamestation (Bleh :p)
    e) Major issues getting it to run with gfx card at first, bsods in nv4_x.dll, 3 versions of dets later and its workin fine (currently 61.77). Runs reasonably well, no aa or af...

Last edited: 28 Nov 2004
  5. Blackfish23

Blackfish23 Minimodder

Why are you only running it at that resolution?
    Surely you can run it at 1280 1024 :worried: , and it'll look smoother :)

6. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Or higher detail, I prefer high detail and aa/af to a higher res :)

7. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

A) fx5900xt o/c by 10%
    B) 1024x768 @ 72Hz (TFT), High+ settings
    C) P4 3.06Ghz HT, 1024Mb PC2700, SATA-150 7200rpm 160Gb HDD
    D) Retail (Sendit,com @ 25 notes)
    E) Occasional stutter of loading new level, but generally runs perfect @>80fps

Debated about upgrading gfx for a card ATI card that will Run DX9 properly, but having seen how good it looks in DX8.1 I'm not sure - it looks fantastic as it is!

8. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

A little birdy gave me hl2.

a) PNY Geforce FX 5500 agp
    b) 800x600
    c) generic 256mb ddr pc2100, athlon xp 1800+, asus a7v8x-x
    d) the nice birdy :lol: (I plan on buying a retail copy to support them in a week)
    e) Some problems here and there, none too major.

Overall the game is playable with everything on default. Some slowdowns happen, and if you get crazy with the mouse you'll crash the game.

If I could ask a question, would getting this
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA03106
    help bump up performance in hl2?

Thanks.

9. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

RR5, if I could hijack your question, I too am wondering if a CPU upgrade would help my performance.

I currently have an Athlon XP2100 with a 6600GT and 1GB of RAM. Particularly slow levels are Highway 17 and Ravenholm. It's mostly when I'm fighting against combine that the framerate drops to 20. At other times it's 40 to 60.

My problem is that I have rev 1.04 of the Asus A7V333 and I can't just drop a new CPU into it. It'll have to be a new mobo too :waah:

10. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

If you stick with the same board manufacturer, and just get something newer.. with windows xp you can swap the boards and do a repair install over the existing win xp. Its very important after you swap boards NOT TO LET XP BOOT. Boot from the cd and carry a repair install.

Then you can upgrade CPUs easily.

-sorry to go off topic.

11. Satyric_saint

Satyric_saint What's a Dremel?

RR5 I would think your problem is with the ammount of ram you have.

Crayfish I would think that since you have a nvidia card and HL2 was made for an ATI I would try to update or fiddel with your video card drivers before going after a new processor.

12. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I've tried the latest betas and there's no improvement so I'll at least wait for them to be officially released. Someone on the Steam forums is also having problems with the 6600GT (worse then mine by the sound of it) and they found out from somewhere that the 6600GT might have a problem with AGP 4x mobos :wallbash:

13. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Ah now I'm sad, I finished hl2 last night. Now I look forward to upgrading and playing it with even better hardware and CHEAT CODES!

14. campincarl

campincarl What's a Dremel?

a) What GFX card are you using?
    b) What screen resolution are you running it at?
    c) What kind of system do you have? (i.e. ram, processor, etc.)
    d) How did you acquire it? (via steam or retailer)
    e) Have you had any problem and what kind.

ATI X300 PCIE
    1024x768 high detail, 70hz
    P4 ht 3.2, 512 ddr3200.
    steam

15. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

XFX Geforce 6600GT AGP
    1024x768
    Athlon-M@2.2GHz, 512MB Crucial ram, NF7-S 2.0
    Tesco (a whole 2p cheaper than Play.com :D )
    Nothing but problems so far (and that's not including the hell i had to go through with Steam to get the game running).
    Game stutters constantly (video and audio) and will occasionally crash out to desktop. I have all the updates for the game installed....

Incidentally, my old Ti4200 gave a less jerky experience (at the expense of visual quality) but the poor 6600GT seems to be affected whatever settings the game uses. Pretty weird....
    Tried the 66.93 and 67.03 dets so far - can anyone suggest some others i could use please? This game ain't justifying the £150 i jus spent on the gfx card yet :wallbash:

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

AIW 9600pro
    1024x768 0xaa 0xaf, high everything else I thnk
    2.4c @ ~3.2, 1GB OCZ DC, Audigy2ZS Plat, Abit IS7, RAID0 36GB raptors on uber-bandwidth-limited controller
    Steam/HL2 voucher
    Not really, except alt-tabbing a lot occasionally will crash the game, and load times are huge due to noted RAID controller (45MB/s sustained, I got faster than that on a single 7200RPM drive using onboard controller)

Tested it on an x800XT AGP that was going in my friends system, and it was 1600x1200 MAX everything and was at least twice my framerate at all times. I swear even load times were less, although that might be from twice the onboard ram.

el_jimbob, maybe it's PSU related... worth checking out anyways

17. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

What detail are you running? I had the same problem when using high detail (in particular, high detail textures I think), and then all was ok after I got an extra 512MB RAM. I've noticed you only have 512MB. Are you getting lots of hard drive activity when playing? which could suggest the page file is being use constantly... ie. you don't have enough RAM.

18. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

I have my page file on another partition and its like 2 gigs. For noticing hdd activity while playing a game, nah unless its going SUPER slow, then I'll take a peek.

19. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

This is what I was running the game with:

Sapphire Radeon 9600Pro
    1024x768
    Athlon XP2100, Asus A7V333, 1GB cheapo memory, 80GB WDC, Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro with 7.1 speakers
    Retail
    Only problems are jerkiness when new areas load and the sound stuttering problem. Overall it's quite smooth when I'm walking around on my own but if I'm in a fight with a few guards then it can slow a bit. I just ordered a 6600GT which might improve things a bit but Far Cry and Doom III need it more.

And I did indeed get my AGP XFX 6600GT and a few more things. Here's the new spec:

AGP XFX 6600GT
    1024x768
    Athlon XP3000, Abit NF7 v2.0, 1GB cheapo memory, 80GB WDC, Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro with 7.1 speakers
    Retail
    Since I've upgraded my framerates are superb (in comparison). On the old system I dropped to 20fps when using the crane, fighting the gunship at the roadblock and on the strider levels. With the new CPU and mobo those minimum framerates are up to 30-35fps with the occasional dip to 25 for a microsecond. I get 95fps on the CS:S video stress test on the new system. Old score was 55 :thumb:

20. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Thanks for the pointer - just stuck in another 512MB of bargainmunchious Crucial ram (under 50 squids at the moment from their website) and all is now well.
    Mind u - in total, it's cost me over £200 to play HL2.... well worth it tho (what a brilliant ending!!)....

Tags: