BSOD + HL2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dead_man, 16 Dec 2004.

1. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

whenever i play it and it loads a new parts, it gets a BSOD, or wants to but it dont quite get there, like its a blue screen but no writing.

amd 2800+
    gb 7n400-l
    2x 512mb cheapo ram ddr400
    sb 5.1
    9600pro with latest omega drivers

any ideas? all drivers are latest

2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Memory sticks might be the culprit, I'm almost 100% sure of it. The large number where it says the error occured is actual location on the ram stick. It's called a page fault. Try running Memtest86 and see if any errors pop up.

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

I'd second that tbh, sounding like a memory error :) As suggested try memtest86, or if you're running async on the mem, drop it back to 166 fsb 1:1 and see if that helps.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I get that sometimes - i always presumed it was a game error... A bit naive (sp?) of me really...

5. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Had the same problem myself - game would either crash to the desktop or just blue screen (randomly, but usually accompanied by stuttering sound effects).
    Apparently the game has a few issues with caching of sound effects used in the game. It was supposed to be fixed in the first patch, but some users haven't been so lucky....

Extra memory fixed my problems - i see you already use 1GB, so perhaps you're just suffering from some unironed bugs in the game engine. Worth checking the Steam forums for help every so often....