new toy today

Discussion in 'General' started by Samurai75007, 13 Jan 2005.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

Nice rifle, looks ace :D

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They do do more damage, cause instead of ripping straight through something and continuing out the other side, like you say, they expel all their energy into the object and only penetrate a little.

I thought .22s were rim fired, those looked centred so i was confused.

3. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Hollowpoints, AKA Manstoppers; perfect for halting a machete wielding maniac dead in his tracks, literally. They are ideal also because they can even incapacitate someone by simply hitting him/her in the shoulder or less life threatening place, whereas a standard full metal jacket will simply pass through, sometimes leaving a negligible wound.

Do many deer carry machetes in the US? :eyebrow:

4. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 What's a Dremel?

it's semi-auto, 10 shots in one clip. and yes they are hollow points.

5. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Guys a .22 is a pretty small weapon. I had a .22 rifle when I was about 13 (a beautiful old remmington with a hexagon barrel and pump action, it was my Grandfathers). I shot two sqirrels while hunting with my dad, one went clear through it, the other one barely passed through the second. It would be irrisponsible to shoot a large animal like a deer with a 22 even with hollowpoint rounds. You would most likely just injure the animal and it would get away with a bad wound. You would absolutely shoot it in the head or the heart to kill it quickly.

.22 is really just a good target shooter and for hunting small animals like rabbit and the like.

Nice gun.

Now, hollowpoints in something like a 30.06 or 357 are very potent. Like fly said, the spread out when they hit the target and tend to "tumble" inside after they've hit causeing much more damage than a high impact projectile that produces a clean hole all the way through. They are also a bugger to remove as a result of their "flowering". No one needs hollowpoints for self protection purposes. Some people make the argument that hollowpoints tend to stay in their targets rather than pass through and possibly hurt innocent by standers but I think that's a crap arguement.

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yea thats what i said, you said they didnt do as much damage :p

7. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

the only thing ive ever fired was a gas powered shotgun
    I also got shot by it when the gas was pretty low
    Still broke the skin though
    I really hurt

Damn the Uk laws

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

So long since I've been hunting.

Used to do it years ago, 0.22 semi auto rifle (hollow points) and 12 bore shotguns, all legal, we had a gun cupboard full of them.

Lived in the country so it was the thing to do, tbh I much preffered target/clay pigeon shooting to live targets.

Went right off the live targets after an unclean shot and had to finish the job by hand (crows are bigger than you think).

I dont shoot now at all, quite miss the target stuff though.

9. tomd

tomd What's a Dremel?

We use .22s for gopher hunting, and thats about it.

10. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry, maybe I live a very sheltered life here in the westcountry, but I find it plain scary that you can buy a gun so easily.

Disclaimer to my post- Not trying to imply at all that you are a scary gun wielding murdery type person, I'd never imply that to somebody who owned a gun :D

11. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Wow, like that gun, wish I had a toy like that :worried: :p

12. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Seeing as you lot don't seem to know any real hunting regulations... .22's are not used for hunting game, apart from fowl obviously. Reason for this is that it was deemed cruel to the animal in question when you pump 10+ bullets into it hoping it will drop. A .30-6 however is much more humane in the fact that it will drop just about anything when it hits right. .22's just don't have the same power. So to put it short, .22's are illegal to hunt with unless it is for fowl.

Nice gun though, bolt or semi? You going to get a sight?

As to that fishing comment... Believe me, buckshot is nice to show the fish who’s boss with, but I dislike getting small metal bits into my McFish. Now, boomsticks on the other hand.... :naughty:

13. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Yes, that is so much more humane.

:hehe:
    jk

L

14. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 What's a Dremel?

semi and I am looking for a sight for it.

15. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

It is alot easier than most people think to legally own a gun in the uk, especially if you live in the country....

16. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

I know that it's relatively easy, I just find it scary. Guns scare the poo out of me and I hope to never have to use one.

17. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Speaking of not knowing any real hunting regulations, not everyone lives in Canada. Samurai75007 lives in
    Texas and while it goes against common sense and general sportsmanship (as I already mentioned in my post just a few ahead of yours), there is no regulation that says you can't hunt any animal except the eastern turkey and (obviously) protected animals with a .22 rifle, you just shouldn't to put it short and accurate.

18. Malvolio

Malvolio .

OH NO!!! What's this world coming to?! My entire reality is shattered!!

And hey, I can only state knowledge that I've obtained, and I honestly don't care where he's from, I just simply stated reasoning behind not using a .22 to kill a bloody moose :p Any gun that allows you to put 5+ bullets into an animal and allow it to still kill you is not a good gun.

19. Satyric_saint

Satyric_saint What's a Dremel?

No gun is really humane but I understand your point. Animals shouldn't be shot unless you are going to eat it.

My mom hit a small dear with her car when I was 8 and her ex-BF went to where it was laying injured to "put it out of its misery" because its hips where basically shattered, he had a small .22 that you could unscrew parts from to make it portable and he shot that poor thing in the head with hollow points 6 times at about a 5ft distance and only 2 bullets didn't bounce off its forehead. :waah: :sigh: I really don't care for .22s now they seem pointless and under powered. :blah: