ATI's Mobility Radeon X700

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Jan 2005.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

Good to hear there progressing in the mobile market. I think im going to be purchasing a laptop in the next few months and im just trying to get my head round all the different measurements of speed etc.

Glad they made the spec similar to the desktop equivilent :.... wonder if there going to make a xt version :p

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

There won't be an XT version of the MR X700 - they only have the one SKU for each sector - vendors can differentiate by clocks and memory footprint, but there' no Mobility Radeon X700 Pro, Mobility Radeon X800 XT, etc... if that makes sense. :)

4. Chronic

Chronic What's a Dremel?

ATI Mobile what a Joke I bought a Laptop last year with ATI Graphics Chip in the Unit its a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 now don't get me wrong its a good system BUT! when I looked around for updated driver there was NONE! I emailed ATI and the reply I got was Sorry we do not support ATI Mobility please contact your supplier of the Laptop.
    Now I was not impressed by this one bit they make the chip supply it to 3rd party's and say oh sorry we not supply drivers see your Laptop suppler ??? Thats great customer support NOT!

My Laptop suppliers have given me updated drivers but when I asked them as to why ATI do this the person told me that they too have trouble getting updates from ATI as the Support on Mobility Graphics card is not very Good, wish I new this before I got the Laptop as I would have gone Nvidia..

Just my 2cp worth...

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

seeing as laptops vary in configuration greatly, even in the specifics of the GPU, it doesnt really work to include mobility cards in ATI driver releases and it is rightly down to the manufacturer to support the laptop. Unfortunately a lot dont bother (the laptop manufacturer not being able to get a driver from ATI is crap i reckon, as you can bodge any old ATI driver to support the mobility series of cards)

ATI mobility gpus are supported by the the omega drivers however, which are updated quite frequently
    http://www.omegadrivers.net/

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I was unaware of the driver issues, but as far as I know ATI are set to step up their support for mobile GPUs. I hope they do, or I will be one of the first to complain about lack of support.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You have to go through your laptop manuf. cause ATI dont support what these manuf. do to their drivers. Also, people like Dell like to have their own branding and use their own set of drivers to make sure noobies dont go installing the wrong stuff and phoning their support lines. It's also cause diff manuf. have different specs for thermal output, clock speeds and battery/extended life settings which may differ inter-laptop.

Ive got an M10/9600pro "turbo", Dell drivers are fine and get updated sorta regularly.

8. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Bindi's right, it's totally up to the manufacturer to update the drivers so be mad at them not ATi. I'm actually planning on writing an article on this very soon but over here at driver heaven, they have a mod that allows you to install the latest ATi radeon drivers onto your laptop. I've used it and have only had one or two rare instances of problems with my laptop running 9700 video. Plus, if you experience any issues with your particular make, you can always revert back to the outdated manufacturer drivers.

9. Chronic

Chronic What's a Dremel?

Thanks Guys for answer :) and look at that program eddie..

Ok I get the point in Laptop manufactures adding there own logo and tweaking drivers for battery life and clock setting but it just seems Very Bad to me on the support side, you would have thought ATI would bring out some universal drivers for Mobility Graphics card like what Nvidia do..

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

I was under the impression that they were stepping up this support, but I will confirm it with ATI to find out whether that is what they intend to do or not. :)

11. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

Not Found

The requested URL /<a href= was not found on this server.
    Apache Server at www.bit-tech.net Port

from the "mobility raedon x700" link

12. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Will be interesting to see how this fares against nVIDIA's 6800.

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

Fixed that :thumb:

The GeForce Go 6800 will trounce it, as there's the Mobility Radeon X800 already available for Desktop Replacement market... but this is a pretty good performer for a thin/light notebook :)

Tags: Add Tags