Modding Modding with the computer still on?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MrTroy, 22 Dec 2003.

1. Diablo668

Diablo668 What's a Dremel?

i once replaced a invertor for 2 ccfls with a normal invertor; turned out the new inverter wasn't designed to be under power with out a ccfl connected to it; the other never had a problem with that :p nothing bad just a condensator that blew up in my face

2. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

I opened a power supply while it was still plugged in to replace the fan. I hit something and got a shock, and about 2 seconds later i did the same thing again. Last time i ever do that. :duh:

3. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

I think I tried to hotswap a hdd once, but the comp restarted so I never did it again.

I remember a time when I took out a pci card forgetting the pc was on.. and that other time I was psu modding with the cover off.. yeah.. :duh:

4. Bloody_Sorcerer

Bloody_Sorcerer What's a Dremel?

a metal tab on the IO port cover was sorta suck in a firewire port, so i pried it out with a flathead while my computer was on. it resulted in a small lightshow and my compy shutting off, while i then proceeded to continue fixing it. the firewire port is probably dead, but i'd never use it anyways!
    also, i've _attempted_ to hotswap AGP video cards before. the lesson is: don't :)
    i retied my 9600's heatsink (when it was still living) while it was running
    i heatsinked some mobo components while running

5. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Loll i laugh when i hear someone doing that, i always shove my hands in there while it's on, plugging bare wires in fans,unplugging fans that were plugged in the motherboard. The nicest thing i did was solder (replace) a led and resistor that went bye bye while the pc running. and it went all nice, no sparks or led(the metal)droplets on anything.
    I admitt today that was a surgeon task :hehe:
    I say when you have a modding idea, it has to be done NOW cant wait :hehe: :D

6. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

I tried dusting my computer while it was running, and that was enough to keep mr from ever modding it. I accidentally pushed a wire against my cpu fan. Propeller blades flew eveywhere, and I was left with a noisy lopsided fan. I had to shut the computer down and go buy another fan. I found a couple of the blades a month later behind the mobo tray.

7. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

this is a really akward thread

most people are
    a) just shy off avoiding the disaster mod forum or
    B) Making it sound like touching a fan or unplugging a fan is "modding"

most responsible people would know its stupid to try to plug in an electronic item with live power running through it. Really its just stupid and its asking for sparks or shorting out the device.

my two cents :blah:

8. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

my duron 900 was oced and it still ran passive :rock: :rock:

9. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

Or just living in the past....

10. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

I'd agree but somehow sometimes we (i) know what we're doing and is a calculated risk to do so.
    Something like a geek street race or high dive,you know you might regret it, but you also know what you are knowledgeable enough to try it.
    And i forgot to mention THE most calculated thing i did not too long ago, but then again i'm a technician, i screwed around an open "live" monitor to adjust it but as i said i had a long course on electronics, and they told us to ALWAYS use extreme caution when doing so . :eyebrow:
    Btw the led thing was before the technician school :hehe:

11. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

lol... I've had some interesting experiences with modding with the comp on...

(I know this should be in disasters, but oh well)

Well, probably the most memorable time was when I was putting in a new cd drive into the drive cage... I was holding up the drive with one hand, and trying to screw in the screws with the other... Screw falls out of my hand, hits the mobo, sparks fly, system dies. WHAT FUN! :D (luckily it was an old hp box I had running to goof around on, and not my main comp)

Since then the closest I've gotten to modding with the comp on is replacing the screws that hold the sidepanals of my case on with these nifty new thumb screws I bought. :rock:

12. kongen

kongen What's a Dremel?

If you guys didn't notice this is another thread revived only its from 2003 of oct. Reviving threads it just confuses the people into thinking this was just recently created and is still in for major discussion. :waah: :duh: :duh: :sigh:

13. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

whenever my m8 needed to borrow my dvd burner id just take it out when it was oon, i do the same to my HDD caddies, also tempted to do it to my SATA at times

also spent a few hours playing mohaa without my jet7 cpu fan running, copper kept it nice and cool, as soon as i realised it was off i plugged the power back in and checkd the temp which was around 80C :jawdrop:
    that ppl is why there is an brite LED on the jet7, so u know when it dont work

14. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

omg! you guys sure are stupid!

15. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

LOL yeah

16. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

LOL sorry to be mean, but that just sounds pretty funny/stupid. doing crap like plugging in hdds with your comp on is just dumb, not even fun like "street racing" or diving.

17. Yelrad

Yelrad What's a Dremel?

Yea i know im gonna get some bashing for this but whats hotswapping?

18. Redd_Herring_1974

Redd_Herring_1974 What's a Dremel?

hot swapping ist basicly changeing out any part of yer computer without turning it off i.e. replaceing a hard drive or as some have said a pci card (i dont recomend the later though it usally causes lottsa sparcks and trips the ciurcit breaker in yer psu)
    :thumb:

Last edited: 25 Jan 2005
  19. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I cut a 6 by 9 inch rectangle out of the steel front of my chieftec front panel while the system was still running, I just put a towel in behind where I was cutting, it blocked and sparks or dust. Did have one rogue spark though that made it through, caused a restart, but I was almost finished anyway. Not my brightest move ever.

20. Yelrad

Yelrad What's a Dremel?

oh, i hotswap my pci cards all the time nothing happens window reads them just fine.