Motors Renault 5, reasonable sound system for under £200 - possible?

Discussion in 'General' started by xen0morph, 14 Jan 2005.

1. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

well very soon I am buying myself a little Renault 5 for £200 which has NO audio whatsoever right now. So I wondered if it was possible to piece together a reasonable audio system for under £200 - don't want to spend more than I paid for the car :hehe: Just need a CD player, some reasonable speakers and a subwoofer possibly. I listen to a lot of metal. I know next to nothing about audio so wondered if it was possible and if so what I should get?

Cheers. :)

2. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Well, If you wanted to buy everythign new you could probably afford a cheap CD player, cheap 6x9 speakers for the back and some cheap speakers for the front.

However if you do what i did and buy everythign cheap/2nd hand and off ebay you could easly afford the whole shabang and get a sub and amp aswell.

My amp came out of the back of a scrap sierra some guy gave me, Head unit was a christmas prezzy, front speakers came out of an old mini i salvaged, my rear 6x9s came off ebay for £20 and the sub came from a mate for £25. Thats a total of what £55+ whatever the head unit cost, my mate spent £2000 on his system and it sounds no differant at all! (just a little dig at those audio geeks out there :p )

slater..

3. RepLiKa

RepLiKa What's a Dremel?

GTT tbh..

4. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Can't afford to insure it.

5. micb

micb Minimodder

It is hard to put together a system for that kind of money, second hand buying will be the only way.

A simple system is a CD Headunit some front speakers, a subwoofer and 4 channel amplifier to power it all.

As a part time audio reviewer for car audio and an amature installer for the last 5 years the difference between a cheap second hand system and one you can buy for £2000 is mind blowing.

Of course a poorly/incorretly installed £2000 system can sound awful, but one done properly with full sound deadening and full phase testing will be fantastic.

6. Lucifer

Lucifer What's a Dremel?

how bizarre, i just finished installing my car audio, it cost under £200 for the lot, and sounds great.
    got JBL 2 way comps in the front, 5.25" speakers in the door pods and tweeters in the dash. - £40 (down from £65) + £15 for the door pods
    JBL 6x9's in an 18mm MDF stealth shelf powered by a 350w amp (i forget what make) - £30 for the speakers and shelf, dunno about the amp.
    a Kenwood KDC-W4527G cd/mp3 HU - £80

so that's £165, plus whatever i'm gonna pay for the amp, plus cabling etc... still, pretty good, and IMO it sounds superb :D

7. micb

micb Minimodder

To you i'm sure it sound surperb, to me it would be utterly wrong.

From your discripion you would have a massively loud rear end which would overpower in level your underpowerd fronts killing any sort of stereo imaging, plus no level of bass management and no subwoofer means the speakers will be playing fullrange and they are unlikly to have much decent output below 40hz.

To me that system is all wrong.

8. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

gotta agree with him

9. Lucifer

Lucifer What's a Dremel?

meh, it's balanced so from the drivers seat you can't hear where it's coming from, although a colleague keeps trying to balance it towards the rear...
    there's enough bass, it's not shaking the car (which i don't want anyway) but as i say, it sounds good :)

10. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

The acoustics in a standard renault 5 are not great, trust me. I spent about £100 on a decent head unit and a good pair of door speakers and that did me fine, especially when the car was stopped. With the car running the engine noise will drown out any fine quality so spending more is pointless, trust me. The only advantage to getting a better system is if you have some spare cash lying about to invest in one to switch to your next car. However then I would question why you're buying a 200 quid car and recommend you keep the cash for inevitable repairs..

What model is it (the car)?

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Been there, done that, blew it up.

12. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

if your into metal then why a sub?
    id go the head unit, components up front and a set of 6x9 speakers on the shelf.

thats all youd need really.
    try to stealth the shelf, to try and make it less notciable to the thives round your way.

Tags: