Weird Ram???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by duggyb, 14 Feb 2005.

1. duggyb

duggyb What's a Dremel?

184 Pin RIMM

The 184 pin RIMM is used on motherboards using the latest Intel i820/i840 chipsets and is referred to as Rambus. The 184 pin RIMM module comes in both 16bit and 18bit ECC configurations, operating frequencies of 600MHz, 700MHz and 800 MHz and are available with memory ranges of 64 through 512 megabytes. The Rambus packaging is referred to as the Ball Grid Array (BGA) form factor. The Rambus modules only require 2.5 volts. There is a 1 GHz Rambus chip under development that was slated for release in 2001.

[​IMG]

i found this on a website....that is what explains the ram.......but i have never seen this kind of ram before and just yesterday i was asked to come look at someones computer as to why this game they bought wouldnt run and it was becuase they didnt have enough ram........so when i popped the case open i noticed this really odd sort of ram in there which i later searched and found out to be 184pin RIMM ram so can i get this stuff at staples ??? or do you know and canadian outlet store that sells it?? i belive they were looking for either a 128 or 256mb stick.......about how much is this memory....any more than 168pin or DDR???

any help will be appreciated!!

THNX
    Duggy :dremel:

2. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

ahhhhhhhhh yes the age old question about RIMMAGE :D

all i can say is that i hate doin computers with RIMMS :D

ok all stupid ass lame jokes aside rimms aint being mass produced anymore and they are crap anyway just another ploy by intel to control the PC market that went completely wrong

u might be able to find some Rimms in old pc's but to be honest just upgrade it to a mobo that uses DDR as RDRAM costs an arm and a leg about 4x as much as DDR

3. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

go out to buy and sell for canada, there's a thread there that's selling this kinda ram.

4. duggyb

duggyb What's a Dremel?

ouch!! i dont think my neighbours are gunna like the sounds of that becuase they just got this computer(((damn people should look in teh case))){{{but tehy dont know much bout comps i guess:p}}} and it is a p4 running at 1.5ghz and is a fairly decent computer hmmmm whats a cheap end mobo with 4x AGP and ddr ram ???

also if anyone has any RIMM for sale let me know im sure they rather do that:p

THNX
    Duggy

5. Tulatin

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

'cept he can't enter the FS thread, he doesn't have 75 posts/30 days >,<.

Maybe talk to a mod, or PM the guy directly?

7. Tulatin

Item:
    RDRAM
    2x265 MB
    Good Gateway Direct RAM.
    I'll take $40 OBO =SALE PENDING=

2x64 MB
    I'll take $20 OBO

Seller: Halgy3000

8. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

There is always the option of shooting for a newer PC; RIMMs are not really worth upgrading IMO. However, with the newest Rambus which is twice as fast as DDR 2, it could be making a comeback with the next generation of CPUs.

9. duggyb

duggyb What's a Dremel?

alright well the Halgy3000 guy sold his ram so there is non left anyone know of anyone else??

thanks to everyone they have been a big help!! :thumb:

THNX

10. Tulatin

well, if you pmed him and there's nothing then shite.

I can check my local supplier for you if you want.

11. duggyb

duggyb What's a Dremel?

yeah Tulatin thtd be great i am not looking to spend a hell of alot though bcuase if it is too much hassle for my neighbours they might just say to hell with it and we will look for a new MOBO.......but yeah ram would be better for them becuase its less hassle and to tell you teh truth this computer they are using will never really be upgraded anymore except mabye a GFX card and HD....so i prefer ram and it would be great if you could check your supplier and get back to me........my email is in my SIG(the gmail one)

THNX
    Duggy

12. Tulatin

yea i'll check into it tomorrow if i can.

13. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

RAMBUS is old, it was what Intel was going to use back in 98 or so. It was supposed to be fast and it was, but the drawbacks were price (it was expensive) and it can only be used in pairs. If you only wanted to use 128mb, you had to buy 2 64mb sticks, cause one wouldn't work alone. What really hurt RAMBUS was their business policies. They went to the early JDEC (or it was JCED, some memory makers standardizational meetings) and instead of sharing their own knowledge, they patented all the ideas they had been shown. After DDR came out, it was much cheaper, and Intel finally dumped RAMBUS to dupport DDR. Sony has RAMBUST in the PS2 and another project, and the company still makes something and is alive.

Just get 2 identical sticks and you're good to go.

14. Tulatin

Incorrect. You could have also bought a single 128mb stick and used a repeater :). The cool thing to Rambus was that it was the first dual channel memory!

15. captainanabolic

captainanabolic Banned

lol sorry for going off-topic but to say that P4 running at 1.5GHz is a fairly good comp is like saying that Gabe Newell is slim. :p

16. gu4rdian

gu4rdian What's a Dremel?

RAMBUS is old, very old. It was used when the P4 first came out and there was no DDR. Later, DDR was developed and it was fast and a TON cheaper so nobody bought RAMBUS anymore and Intel dropped it and now DDR2 is out so you might as well buy some 667mhz DDR2 that'll pwn RAMBUS any day. :thumb:

17. duggyb

duggyb What's a Dremel?

hahaha captain yeah i know what you mean,,,,,,,but what i meant was that for a very inexpeirnced computer user as themselves they wont be running anything super fast except thse cheap 1-20 doller games you find a walmart.....which arent fast themselves so for them its pretty good......

so anybody have any 184pin RIMM????it would be a HUGE! help

THNX

EDIT:::::Hows that check on your local supplier coming Tulatin???

THNX

Last edited: 14 Feb 2005
  18. duggyb

duggyb What's a Dremel?

Tulatin where are you :sigh:

thought you were checking your supplier??

THNX
    Duggy

19. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

AFAIK Simpletech, Samsung, Kingston, Mushkin (www.Mushkin.com) and Corsair still make and sell PC800 RIMMS. Mushkin has both PC800 and 1600, plus 2 32 bit varieties.

20. Tulatin

whoops ****.... just been really busy. between school/work/nightschool i mean. i will call tomorrow.