1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Camera Hunt!

Discussion in 'General' started by Bogomip, 5 Apr 2005.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Ok, im sure there are many people on here who know a bit or two about digital cameras, and so i was wondering if anybody knew of a digital camera within around these specifications...

- 3 to 5 megapixels (and good quality)
    - LARGE screen on the back (like, i want it nice big! not one of these weenie ones!)
    - Movie mode or all these added doolallies arent required, but it doesnt matter if it has them!
    - Take good pictures at night time and in night clubs, but also maintains its quality in the day!

Im hoping to spend as little as possible, and certainly under or equal to £170. I will stretch a little on the large screen thing (though i really want it!) but good quality night and day is essential!

Thanks!

2. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

Pentax Optio S, just about smaller than credit card so perfect for clubbing etc.
    Screen isn't massive but you get used to it :D
    Check out one in a store, it's just so small!

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Konica minolta dimage X50. Very small but has a 2" screen. Takes good pictures and has good battery life and excellent start up time. Might be around that price now, not sure.

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

im not worried about size for clubbing. Infact, too small would be bad cause ill break it easier! I can (and have :p) fit entire pint glasses in one of my trouser pockets, so a digital camera is no problem :)

ill check it out none the less :) cheers!

edit: dasuperfly - http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=78714 - that ?

5. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

I highly recommend the camera I have, the Sony DSC-W1 5.1 Mega Pixel. The screen on the thing is Huge, thats Huge with a capital H. It feels great in your hands, has all sorts of different modes (regular forus, multi focus, night shots, lanscapes, burst mode, multi burst mode) and can take pictures ranging from vga size to 5 mega pixels (thats a true 5mp, none of that interpolated stuff. You can also take a picture in lets say 5 mp and resize it down to 1 if you need to. Also it supports extra lenses. You buy things like wide angel lences and skrew them onto the front. Its good stuff, well worth the money.

6. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

When I was choosing my camera -wanted big screen, small size and unlimited movies- I got down to the Sony W1 and Casio EX-Zxx (replace xx with 30, 40, 50, 55 etc). Both very similar but I went for the Casio in the end because the Sony memory sticks used to cost A LOT, now only a little more than other types.

About the only separating features I can think of are the Sony shoots video in 640x480 (also some stupidly small resolution) where as the Casio is 320x240 so with the Sony you can shoot shorter but very high quality photos where as the Casio can shoot for much longer (can get an hour of video on my 1GB card). Also the Casio takes proprietary batteries where the Sony takes AA (of the high power kind, normals will only last minutes), I must say though that Casio weren't lying about the improved battery life, you can get at least 250+ shots out of a battery normally, and thats with a lot of messing about. But the fact that the Sony takes AAs can be handy if you are caught short (I solved this with a spare battery, with a spare battery and a 1GB card I have gone for 2 weeks of taking a lot of photos -396 pics of 2304x1728 and about 6 short vids- without ever charging or needing to free up space, though I did delete alot that I knew were crap).

One very good feature of the Casio range is 'Best shot', lots of presets for different situations, such as night, scenery, pre-shot, candlelight, fireworks, text, collection, mono, retro, twilight and custom. I thought it was just a gimmick but once I started using it (especially being able to save my own settings) it became very useful.

All in all they are both very good cameras, though I can only really recommend the Casio as I haven't used the Sony other than in the shop. After using mine my brother and 4 friends have also bought Casios.

Some samples (click for bigger - 2MB each!):

Macro:
    [​IMG]

Nightclub:
    [​IMG]

Normal???:
    [​IMG]

Sample Movie (night fireworks) - Also 2MB.

Funky 40m waterproof / dust proof / bombproof (maybe not) case:
    [​IMG]

Some size pics, clickable - 2MB! (EX-Z40 taking pictures of itself - magic!):

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Apr 2005
  7. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

Bwahah i was in your shoes 2 weeks ago.

First of all there ARE WAY TOO MANY CHOICES. Really there are hundreds of camera's with hundreds of features so you need to set on what you want.

I wanted a camera that was small, at least 4 megapixels, good quality and dirt cheap.

Best place to go for great apples to apples comparisons is here

Revies site

Pretty much anything in the highly reccomeded or reccomended list are great cameras.

After that its time for EBAY. You need to find a good deal and make sure teh seller is legit and the camera has the kind of warranty you want.

This all led me to the Konica Minolta F100. Not perfect but I was able to snag it for 100 dollars from ebay :D

ebay item

I got a 512mb super fast SD card for about 40 shipped from buy.com

ELITE PRO 512mb ( now more expensive)

300 pictures transferred in under 8 minutes, its a really impressive speed considering its was over 200mb. ( 512 can store about 550 pics!!)

Here are some pics that have been scaled down

Vegas pics ( on xanga)

THe camera is light and responsive, with great macro. The 3x zoom is a litlle less than I wanted but anymore zoom equates to a larger camera.

Hope this helps you or anyone else in this situation

hi-res macro about 700kb

http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~epyon/PICT0062.JPG

Heh if you think the macro is impressive keep in mind that I DIDNT use any tripod... future surgeon here I come

hi-res normal shot about 700kb

http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~epyon/PICT0089.JPG

8. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

Nope not that one :p Well basically it's like Kermet's Casio Exilim camera except it's smaller in dimensions but has a smaller lcd screen. However it is also cheaper.
    As for photo quality, they both have *exactly* the same lens.

9. dozer

dozer What's a Dremel?

try checking out the ixus 50, very small and excellent images, pleanty of functions and large lcd.

10. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

Similar to the Casio EX-Zxx range but 'credit card' size is the EX-S100, comparable I suppose to the Sony Tx range. Not sure on prices or anything, my mate has a previous version before they introduced optical zoom. Also it is limited to 3MP...

11. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Hmm, thats for all the suggestions! Im not going to buy off ebay though, to the guy above! I want a new camera i can be assured i will get a proper warranty for, and it hasnt been mistreated in the past in any way shape or form.

I think im gonna go for that casion one, but i have a few questions for kermit...

- what do you get in the box ?
    - do the good batterys which last "350" shots come with it ? if not, what type are they ?

I think thats all, thanks :)

edit: reading ebuyer reviews it seems that camera doesnt come with a 3 pin power plug. will a normal us->uk adaptor you take on holiday with you work ?

edit2: oh, or if anybody knows a digicam which is same as aobe but plays mp3's too, thatd be great (even if it is a bit more expensive ;))

12. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

You get (this is from memory):

Camera (duh)
    Cradle
    USB cable
    Mains cable
    Strap
    NP-40 Battery (yes, this is the 350+ shot one, the only one it will take)
    Software CD
    Manuals, warranty etc

There is no case and no memory card but there is 10MB internal memory, not that it is much use (4 or 5 4MP pics). To be honest I think this is a good thing, better than paying for a 64MB card like some supply in the box that you would never use anyway.

Another thing to note is that you need the cradle to charge or download pics, you can't just plug in a cable to do it directly. Though you can always get a separate battery charger or take the SD card out and stick it directly into a reader.

Best place I have seen for spare batteries (NP-40 £33.99) and memory cards (particularly recommend the SanDisk Ultra II series) is http://www.fotosense.co.uk/

As for the camera itself find the best price you can on line (has to be UK based and in stock - so no Pix Mania etc), print it out and head down to Jessops on Shandwick Place (west end Princes Street), or any Jessops if you don't live central Edinburgh and they will price match it on the spot. Good selection of cases there too...

EDIT: Forgot to say that it does come with a UK 3 pin plug, at least it should do. As for the MP3s, fraid not. Though I have managed to resize and re-encode movies and put the on the camera, certainly got a few people interested (though was a bit awkward with 4 of us trying to watch a movie on a coach journey).

Last edited: 7 Apr 2005
  13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

*argh*

ok, so the casio exillim 4mp version has been discontinued it would seem (not on ebuyer anymore), and the 6mp version is too expensive, so once again im back open to suggestions for a digital camera :) If anybody has any!

edit: by the way, i still want a large CCD/LCD thing on it :) (preferably 2.5" or something close :))

Last edited: 23 Apr 2005
  14. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

The Option S5i is a very nice little camera, but after having used one (my brother has one) I think that's one of it's primary features - size. I opted for the slightly larger Canon Ixus 430 and whilst being a bit chunkier, the image quality is far superior to that of the Pentax. I got this camera a few months back and it has now been superceded by the new Ixus range (30, 40, 50...). I think the 40 probably falls in your price range. The advantage these newer cameras have is that they've shrunk them in size (not much off Pentax size now), and have larger screens. Can't go wrong. Canon rock. :D

If you want good low light performance, the Pentax isn't ideal. Low light focussing isn't great, and it doesn't have an AF assist lamp to help it either (the Canon's do). Can't say about the Casio as I've never used one.

15. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Ok, so I have decided I want the Casio EXILIM s100 (which afaik is the new model exilim). And i shall get it from jessops, but ebuyer doesn't have it in stock, and i don't know of nay other UK Based online retailers who may have it cheap!

Any ideas ?? :)

edit: does this count ?

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/shop_details.asp?productID=587

There based in manchester :)

Last edited: 30 Apr 2005
  16. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

17. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

Yes, Fotosence should count - very good company actually, dealt with the quite a few times.

Also: Dixions - 159.99 - Web exclusive price

Might be a little bit of p&p to add on but print them (Dixons and Fotosence) out and take them along to Jessops and you should be sorted.

As for memory cards I suggest getting one from the SanDisk Ultra II range, great cards.

18. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

i did all that, but with a differant camera :) I got a Sony Cybershot DSC-S80.

It only has a 2" screen, but i guess it looks smaller casue its a fairly big camera (as far as they go these days :))

Ill take some pics soon then post em! Thanks for all your help :)