question about living in the uk

Discussion in 'General' started by tekcajder, 24 Apr 2005.

1. tekcajder

tekcajder What's a Dremel?

hey,

this is going to sound a bit stupid, but my gf has been offered a job just outside of london doing occupational therapy. Its a contract job and will last a year ... i guess my question is, would it be possible for me to find a way to stay in the UK for a year? i think travel visa's last six or three months, i'm a graphic designer/printer and i'm PRETTY sure that doesn't come under the "skilled worker" requirement for a work visa. school tuition in the states is usually twice as expensive for someone leaving his or her state (to go to another) ... even if i was accepted abroad, i'm sure it'd be mighty pricey (and i'm far from ever being rich)

i guess i'm really trying to find a way to stay on for a year, just until my gf is done with her work. again, i know this is a stupid question, i guess i was just wondering if any of you had advice?

thanks,

-james.

2. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Hrm...so one of your questions was would schooling be more expensive cause you'd come from America? If so, no it'd be just the same as everyone elses fees.

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm not 100% sure, but we have a number of Aussies working with us and they were able to get a 2 year visa for working in the UK.

4. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Best thing to do is to contact the British embassy and tell them your situation. They're very good at answering your questions and there's nothing better than word from the horses mouth :)

5. tekcajder

i'm not all that familiar with higher education in the UK, but from the schools i've seen, they appear to be privately owned institutions. i finished my undergraduate at a state school in NY ... the cost of my entire tuition (4-5 years worth) is less than a semester at some private schools in the US. also, i noticed when applying to schools, that they had resident rates vs non-resident rates ... this might not be the case overseas or anywhere else for that matter (which would be nice actually) but like i said, my experience with schooling and/or professional direction abroad is pretty limited.

i'm sorry if this isn't really clear, i'm just tired and rambling.

6. tekcajder

if you don't mind me asking, what's your profession?

yea, i'm writing everyone i can, i figure the more imput the better.

7. tekcajder

thanks btw, i appreciate the feedback. :rock:

8. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

You might want to use the edit button next time instead of posting 3 times in a row.

Foreign students do afaik pay more fees at university here, but it depends on which insituition and course.

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I work for BSKYB, in the field operations planning department, some of the guys from abroad are data analysts, some are in IT and others in field support.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You won't be able to stay in the UK longer than 6 months unless you can prove that:

1. You have enough money to support yourself for a year (and an open return ticket), or

2. You have a job waiting for you in the UK.

For the rest, do what any entrepeneurial spirit with half a brain does, and use Google to point you to the UK Dept. of Immigration website that will have all the rules for foreigners working in the UK nicely laid out for you (inc. the work permit conditions).

11. penski

penski BodMod

It'd probably be cheaper for you to go to uni here than in the States.

I kno w aguy in Manchester who moved here from Canadia because it was a fraction of the cost.

*n

12. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I'd be careful of what the Imps tell you, they are known for leading people astray. :D :hehe:

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this. If you can wing it, take the chance not to end up mired in debt after graduating. Life is so much nicer debt free. And nice cat, penski.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2005
  13. penski

penski BodMod

Why, thank you.

*n