Mobile Prescott multipliers fully UNLOCKED and changeable on desktop motherboard :D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr Meltdown, 23 May 2005.

1. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

I'd been wondering if the newer Prescott Mobile CPUs could have their multilier changed in Windows as according to the spec sheets the Mobile P4 1M Prescott 533FSB CPUs should have the ability to change the multiplier using software regardless of chipset, ....

P70 of the 30242403.pdf:

6.3 Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology

The processor will feature Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology. Unlike previous implementations of Intel SpeedStep technology, this technology will enable the processor to switch between multiple voltage and operating frequency points instead of two. This will enable superior performance with optimal power savings. Switching between states will be software controlled unlike previous generation processor implementations where the GHI# pin was used to toggle between two states. Following are the key features of Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology:

• Multiple voltage/frequency operating points provide optimal performance at the lowest power.
    • Voltage/Frequency selection will be software controlled by writing to processor MSRs (Model Specific Registers) thus eliminating chipset dependency.

blah blah blah,....

Well I tried it today and Yep it works!

Abit IC7 i875 mobo / Mobile Prescott 3.06 533FSB CPU SL7DT / RightMark Clock utility: Multipliers all unlocked from 14x to 23x :D

Last picture I changed the voltage in BIOS to 1.4v instead of default 1.15V to see if the volts would stay or be lost with the clock utility software, the volts stayed allowing volts beyond the 1.35v max in the utility :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I likes this Enhanced Speedstep ALOT! (earlier Speedstep just plain sucked)

This is in my main work PC so I can't chance fuxxing up my hard disks by pushing hard just yet, I'll try it with another disk on later, but 3.6Ghz was totally rock stable @ 1.25v, the excessive volts @ 3.8Ghz was just checking the volts changed as required.

Cheers,

MM

Last edited: 23 May 2005
  2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

So which motherboards can we use Dothians with then? I presume they're the mobile Prescotts. Don't we need a convertor-thing before we can use them in s478 mobo's?

3. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

Dothans are Pentium Ms, Prescotts are mobile Pentium 4s ? Arnt they

4. Bob 1234

Bob 1234 What's a Dremel?

[OT]OMG, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have a sony Vaio and I reformatted with a OEM CD of windows XP to get rid of teh crappy software that same with the Vaio, and for some reason, could not previously get the computer to clock down like I wanted (like saving battery). Sony wanted to charge me for a dvd to get the software to do it, and I was about to until I saw this post, this awsome. When I get home I will test it out [/OT]

I cant wait to see how far I can "OC" my lappy, or under OC it. I guess some Intel CPUs come with "unlocked" multipliers even though I heard that the only way to OC them was to up te FSB. Now they can OC like Athlon M's. This is really cool to know. I wonder if newegg.com carries mobile prescotts :idea:

-Bob

5. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

I forsee an unfortunate event in your future if you continue with your current plan.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Your laptop will be utterly buggered if you try and OC it - a laptop cooling solution is a delicate thing which can only just manage to cool the processor you already have... :p

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Assuming the speedstep or whatever works the same was as CoolNQuiet for desktops, just set the power management thing in control panel to "minimum power management". You don't have to do any multi changing manually that way.

8. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

The cores are dothans, and they are not prescotts. They use .09micron but will perform better than a Fx55 clock per clock. The chips are 479 and you need the asus ct-479 converter and a matching asus mobo that can suport it.

Just to give you an idea of what it can do ill mention that 2.6ghz yeilds a 29sec superpi. Most can oc to about 2.4-2.8ghz with a minimalistic heatsink provided by asus. The heatsink is very small and the chips at stock emit something like 12w of heat when in power save and most 30w when runing full stock speed.

Some have goten the chips to 3.0ghz to 3.3 with sub zero cooling.

Here is the thread with results.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47052&highlight=dothan

I have been wanting to get a dothan and spank a fiew pc's with it.