News Apple to use Intel chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 23 May 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

If this turns out to be true, then would that meant that future releases of OS-X would run on a standard x86 PC.

3. RTT

RTT #parp

Goodness, could this be what will power the 'g5 powerbooks'?

Yoda: I doubt it, somehow. They'd probably lock it to hardware that they ship only.

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

way to <rude word> go apple, just as the end is FINALY in sight for the 386, apple adopt it. way to go. Anyone who buys one of these deserves what they will get.

If however, they are licensing the XScale or something it could be intresting (i really want to see someone do an 8 core XScale 8xx :D) But you can't expect that level of inervation from apple.

5. planki

planki ...

apple has got a reputation for having good battery life on their laptops (when they dont have to recall them that is) and if you combine that with say a centrino chip aswell maybe we can see even better battery life combined with other new features.

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hrrrrm, a little bit late to the party? :) Glad to see apple finally considering a little more 'standard' architecture. Whether you like the PowerPC chip or not, it hasn't been a good business move for apple to stick to their guns about. It's very expensive and requires a completely different type of code-base.

TheAnimus, why do you say we're reaching an end of x86 architecture?

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Its the end of the world as we know it; Im going to love telling this to one of the teachers at my school; hes obsessed with macs. Though TBH I really cant tell why they wont go AMD? AMD offers a much more scalable and more productive architecture than anything Intel has, and that fits their image better... Hopefully Jobs wont be an ass and lock OSX X-86 to somehow be mac only :blah:

8. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

No. If they do this, it'll be Mac only. I can't see Steveo and Co giving up a huge chunk or revenue (hardware sales) like that. They'll restrict it with a boot rom or something similar, If a transition to x86 ever happens at all.

9. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Bad news for IBM...Considering the sale of the laptop divison they are loosing a large chunk of their incom....

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I think it could be good for business, they would have an increase in software sales and that in turn could lead to an increase in hardware sales, especially if people find the OS to their liking, they may be encouraged to switch to a mac.

11. RTT

RTT #parp

Another reason for not making it available to work on any old x86 is the support factor, there's no way they can magically from somewhere create drivers for hundreds of thousands (i guess) of bits of kit that windows supports.

if this does get officially confirmed, my bets are on the next powerbooks being intel powered!

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Perhaps some intrepid programmers will adjust OSX to make it PC compatible; those of us who dont want to buy macs can only hope... :sigh:

13. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

why would you want mac OS?
    i really can't see why its great, its insainly slow suffers from BSD really not been designed for non-mainframe style networks. Its isainly high cost per month of ownership, and the fact its bug ridden. I just dislike if i'm trying to do something complex, because quicksilver or what ever that stupid skinning is called is running it takes about 30 seconds to change application. Not to mention the best damn office app in the world (one note) runs on windows.

x86 at the end of its life, mostly wishful thinking i will grant you, but 64bit stuff is here, in ernest, Intel are hinting that multicore is the way forward, and x86 is a pain, its not that good at been coherient in how long instructions take. The classic one which made me laff, was when a friend got a 1.4ghz P4, i had a 933mhz athlon, which killed it the p4 in performance in games like half life, mainly because of the problem with barral shift. Where as with a RISC its very easy to say this instruction will take one instruction cycle.

Its really typical apple if they go for the x86, its at the end of its life, and its something they should of done 5+ years ago. £1 per MIPS the apples have been bloody awful. The only thing in an apples favour; quark & indesign. Both of which now run better and even cheaper on an x86 under windows.

If they wanted to be clever, they'd get on board with the new multi-core xscales that are comming out soon. I belive they've got 4 core ones that use as little as 50whats (these can do flops as fast as a 3ghz athlon, and ALU stuff as fast as 2 * 3ghz athlons) and 8 core versions comming soon. That would be clever, BSD already runs on it, they've got multi-cpu designed code already, would be a really good cheap move.

14. LordFeaR

LordFeaR What's a Dremel?

If they went to AMD based systems, I would nave NO problem buying an apple computer. (Assuming also, they use an OS that is compatable with the programs (games) I use.)

15. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

ah you mean an OS like windows?

come on, if apple use the x86 now they will just end up been another gateway. I know very few people who think of tiger as anything but BSD thats skinned with a strange shell.

i only know one person who didn't buy an apple laptop because "its a cheap way of getting hardware thats supported by BSD without any problems at all", even then i don't consider it cheap myself.

i've always found it hard to see why people want an apple, in fact the only legitimate reason i've ever heard is was from a specail type of goverment security expert, who also shared my love of old acorn's. Security by obscurity. That was the only reason he had an apple laptop (and a few other cool looking ones, some of which i suspected to be running on a texus DSP!? (was more like a linux terminal). Cunning!

My respect for apple grew when they brought in a multibutton mouse, about time! But i'd be disapointed if they just went for a x86. Something like multi-core, maybe even go for the dedicated kernel proccessor and memory idea (can't think of the name of that design type) but alas, seams not.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Which is then transfered to making CPUs for EVERY-SINGLE next gen console out there.

17. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

My God, rumors like this have existed since Apple first started using PPC. I mean this rubbish must come up every bloody year.

And guess what year after year..... Apple never use an Intel/AMD CPU.... shock! :eeek: :rolleyes:

18. K

K 528491

Agreed.

I had to check it wasn't April 1st again.

19. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

"and in other news, Apple computer announced it's PC to MAC conversion kit today. Upon opening the package, we were greeted with an acrylic trimmed, rebranded Microsoft Natural Keyboard, a clear backed rebranded MX1000 with the apple logo in it, a special PCI card that simulates the usability of a mac, and a large, off white apple sticker to slap on the side of the case, all sitting atop a DVD of Macintosh OSX. It is unclear at this time if Apple is to continue manufacturing their own items, or if they are to begin buying Dells and Hewlett Packards, dressing them up in aluminium and acrylic cases, and tripling the prices. More to come as it arrives"

20. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

^^^
    LOL

Would be funny though wouldn't it?

Tags: Add Tags