Modding Curved Plexi Case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by delbert, 22 Jun 2002.

1. delbert

delbert What's a Dremel?

Holy thread revival number two. If you look at the last picture in the second post you can see where/how I mounted the LEDs under the mobo. In the “purpleish” mode I just added a couple Blue in between the red ones. Also, there is an LED directly behind the back edge of the hard drive mount thingy.
    Edit:
    Remember to aim/focus the LED at the edge. The light will travel through the transparency and create the glow. On a square case the light will basically die at the corner/end of panel. That’s why I wanted a one piece wraparound design so the light would make the whole trip.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2004
  2. mode

mode What's a Dremel?

thanks !
    And how did you bend the plexi?
    I have thought of a heating-gun (or whatever it is called), then just warm it up and then just bend it :) Gotta be very careful though, and run some tests first, othervice it will crack.

3. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

It amazes me that I still havent seen an extra similar casing for the PSU in this thread. Could house 1 or 2 extra HDD's as well if it was built tho :eyebrow:

4. shreddy

shreddy What's a Dremel?

This is two years old?! :eeek: Wow! Top stuff, hats off! :thumb:

Now one thing I couldn't quite fathom re the placement of the leds... you say to make sure they're pointing to the edges to get the edges lit up to the max - but are they actually inside the plexi? If so how the hell do you do that - surely they're not gonna be parallel (sp? :worried:) to the top & bottom of the bit they're embedded in, are they? So they won't be pointing exactly at the edges but up or down some...

Sheesh hope you can understand the question :hehe:

5. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Wow, I love this plexiglass case, now i wanna do something similar for my mp3 server. Sweet!

Last edited: 16 Aug 2004
  6. Miirk

Miirk What's a Dremel?

That´s a lovely case! :D

One question though:

How did you attach the front? (I can see that there are 1 pipe (?) in every corner that you attach the front to, but how did you attach the actual pipes to the case, I don´t see any screws on the outside)

7. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Use a heat gun for bending. What did you use for glue? My super glue isn't holding up like i thought...

8. Nitsuj

Nitsuj What's a Dremel?

I really like this. So its still working right? Nice work. :thumb: And I like the red! I don't know why everybody is so set on blue all the time! :naughty:

9. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Well, uh, I suppose because blue is about the greatest color ever conceived.:rock:

10. delbert

delbert What's a Dremel?

Sorry
    I didn’t see the latest revival of this old thread.
    shreddy
    The motherboard is attached to a flat piece of plexi using standoffs. The wraparound piece ends up above the flat piece on the bottom, but below the motherboard. I just slides in the gap so the lights under the motherboard are shining directly at the edges of the wraparound piece.
    Mirrk
    There are blocks of plexi glued to the wraparound piece at the corners in both front and back. There are threaded inserts on the blocks for the screws going through the front and back panels.
    ArmyAnt
    You must use adhesive made for acrylic. I used the water thin solvent type then, but now I think the thicker cement type is better. Google Weldon acrylic adhesive.
    Nitsuj
    As far as I know the hard drive is still functional. At least it was the last time it ran. Unfortunately the whole computer is setting down in the garage collecting dust because the damn shuttle motherboard suffered the infamous swollen capacitor syndrome.
    R.I.P. It was a fun computer for a couple years.

11. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

I am surprised the pics are still up after two years. Hats off to you.

12. delbert

delbert What's a Dremel?

I tried replacing the capacitors and it did work for awhile but then started being unstable again. The computer was built around one of the very first Shuttle SFF motherboards. I looked around and couldn’t find the exact motherboard. So it sits in the garage collecting dust and scratches. Everyone that saw it enjoyed it and I have considered building another similar PC around a different motherboard.

13. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

Nice mod...

It´s a pitty that you must have PSU outside, but still VERY VERY nice :thumb:

14. brainbug90

brainbug90 What's a Dremel?

Wow, thats NICE!!! :thumb: :eeek:

15. delbert

delbert What's a Dremel?

Bumped from the depth yet again lol.
    Brainbug if you don’t mind me asking how did you find this thread?

16. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

That's awsome, what did you use for a psu, there's barely enough room for a HDD and your mobo loll :hehe:
    Edit oops just read some posts it's an outside ps :duh:

17. k1114

k1114 What's a Dremel?

I'm going to apply this bended plexi method to my n64 cube (i'm redoing that project), many thanks for the inspiration :)

One thing i'm curious about though, how did you get the corners on the front and back peices to fit so well? I'd imagine that sanding them down slowly was the method of choice for the front peice?

18. delbert

delbert What's a Dremel?

exactly
    I have a benchtop belt sander so that makes it quick though.

19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

delbert, i just figured that since everyone else revived this thread, i might as well agree that this was a great case. ;)

RIP, little box...you were quite the inspiration to those of us who enjoyed your smooth, glowing sides and beautiful orbital smile. You, dear little dead box, were a plexinspiration.

*ahem* Ok then, back to the asylum for me. :D

20. sirbogey

sirbogey What's a Dremel?

that's a really great case! simple but efficient. personally I'd stick to the red color.