1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No HDTV For me

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by :: kna ::, 6 Jan 2006.

1. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

2. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

bahaha, thats my favourite bit :p

personally i dont see the point in buying a hdtv at all atm, theres **** all on broadcasted tv worth watching over here anyway and even less (none?) of it is broadcasted in hdtv
    better off getting an hdtv res monitor, then you can watch downloaded stuff, play pc games and console games and do anything you do on your pc now but in hdtv res
    woo

3. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Nice article.

I agree in the main, however like most consumer products it's all down to the individual when they adopt it.

4. chrisuk

chrisuk What's a Dremel?

I agree, screw it if i'm gonna go out and buy a HDTV for my xbox 360. Expecially given the Blu-ray/HD-DVD situation - i probably won't bother until that is firmly resolved either way. Oh yeah, there has to be FREE HDTV broadcasts because Sky arn't ripping me off either.

If you really want your Xbox in High-Def, do what I did and get a PC monitor. Its cheaper and I will get more use out of it by running my laptop through it at a decent res.

5. quack

quack Minimodder

Well said.

All this HD-ready nonsense they keep advertising certainly hasn't made me want to convince my parents that our perfectly decent 2 year old 42" plasma screen needs upgrading already. What would we watch on a fantastic new £3000 50" plasma HDTV?

That's right, exactly the same things as before, and not in HD either. Sky are dragging their heels with the technology and it'll probably only be Premiership football they'll use it for anyway (at first), which I don't watch since I'm a rugby fan.

I only got a new 23" LCD TV in my room 6 months ago, which does allege to be HD-compatible (I'm really not certainly how true that is), my first upgrade in 10 years from a 20" CRT. It'll be another 5 at least before I get another TV.

Update: Pulled out the manual for my LCD, it says it supports 576p, 720p and 1080i. Cool!

Last edited: 7 Jan 2006
  6. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

I dont know about you but I clearly see the option to run in SDTV.

[​IMG]

MS have done a damn good job with this console and pushing new technology is what they should be doing.

If you can't run it in HD then don't.

Good on Microsoft for pioneering Higher resolutions.

7. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

nice read, i agree with timmehtimmeh
    someone has to be the first to bring out HD output (ok theres test movies but nothing in the wide range)
    those who have actually seen HD in practice you will fall in love with it - its not some tiny "upgrade to quality" its a huge upgrade, the movie/game is so crisp its lushh
    B
    ps typo in title "No HTDV" - hdtv you mean i think..

8. Sh00ter

Sh00ter What's a Dremel?

hear bloody hear to the whole article :D

9. chrisuk

chrisuk What's a Dremel?

It is true that someone should be pushing HDTV and I agree Microsoft have done a good job with this. Especially since they havn't sacrificed SDTV, the new graphical prowess is still more than evident. I guess the question is should MS be pushing a console as an upgrade reason, when the majority of other content is still unavaliable in HD.

I think it would be fine if the avaliability of HD video content and HD television was much greater than it is now. Its just unreasonable to expect people to upgrade to HD when the rest of the current content doesn't justify it - hell, we don't even have a simple distribution method for HD opticial storage.

I think people are very aware at the moment of the conflicting next gen optical standards and until that war is basically over, I think its going to be the major limiting factor to HD uptake.

10. dom_

dom_ --->

well seeing as sky is becoming hd soon on some channels, analogue tv is being cut in a few years for digital only. i can only see hd being the way forward.

stop living in the past and get with the times!

its a better solution to a very old system.

11. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

People who HD bash cant have seen it, HD makes SD look totally rubbish CRTs have had there day and are being fazed out of the shop in favour of flat panels people who have bought flat panels that are not HD ready (me being one of them) can still watch HD broad casts to 90% of there quality any way.
    If you are going to buy a TV why buy a CRT yes there cheap and reliable but people are far more style conscious then they used to be and people like to keep up with the Jones’s added to that you can pick up a 32" HD LCD for less then £700, rewind 6 months 32" CRT's used to cost the same. HD is most defiantly the way forward it will however take a long time to dominate because people need new TV's to watch it but that’s the way were headed you cant hold technology back.

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Chris, you're my hero! Someone with a (fairly heavily viewed) website publishing my exact thoughts, clearly pirated over telepathy (but don't worry, my brain's contents are all licensed under a creative commons license, so no harm done).

I see it this way:
    TV programming sucks, and it looking better doesn't change that fact.
    The next-gen consoles are still well-behind PC standards as far as graphics. I've seen bits from quite a few games on the Samsung HDTVs at the demo booths for the 360, and I'm not only unimpressed, but somewhat dissapointed.
    Of the crappy content, the amount available in HD is still tiny. And don't get me started on the price premium to GET that little amount of HD programming.

I'm not saying HD isn't the way forward - it is. But right now, it's worthless. I don't watch TV, and I'm so let down with the 'next-gen' graphics of the 360 that it's further convinced me to never go back. Meanwhile, I'll keep in mind that I've been using HD-level resolution on my PC for quite a few years.

Maybe when TVs get to the same pixel pitch of even the cheapest LCDs, I'll be somewhat interested. While 62" Plasma's continue to run at 720p or less while 24" computer LCDs run at 1080p or higher... you get the idea.

13. TMM

TMM Modder

Having both a HDTV capable LCD TV (1280x768 - ok, so not "true" HDTV, but they don't broadcast 1080i here anyway...) and a standard definition (848x480) plasma, i can say that i'd rather watch the plasma anyway since its just bigger. When your sitting at the couch a couple of meters away, you can hardly tell the difference between standard definition and high definition. However the higher resolutions do come in handy for gaming ;).

14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I played DoA4 on my friends 52" Plasma HDTV a week ago, and then last night I brought it over my other friends house and played it on his 34" SDTV that didn't have widescreen, nor a flat screen. Yeah, it looked better on the HDTV. There is no question about that. However, it still looked very very good on the SDTV. So in short, no, I'm not totally sold on HDTVs at the moment, not just for playing 360 or PS3 anyway.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus What's a Dremel?

Hats off for you for speaking your mind :rock:

HDTV is not likeliy to be pushed by gaming consoles.

However 2006 will be the year where HDTV is being pushed in a big way in Europe, as all the government supported Broadcasting Companies in Europe are likely to move some or all of their own productions to digital TV only.

Germany and Sweeden has launched their earth based transmitting system for DVB-T.
    Denmark is switching to digital TV in a big way in April 2006, where the Danish Broadcasting Company (DR) will move to new premesis, and will leave all of their old analog recording equipment in the old buildings for demolishing!

The European Championship in football Summer 2006, is said to be the first "Eurovison" broadcast in HDTV.

So all in all, if a company wants to introduce an electronic device in 2006, to be used as (or with) a TV device, it has better have a HDMI plug!

16. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

Bloody hell,

I am happy to see HDTV come along, it means I can finally afford a widescreen rear-projection screen (short neck) for beans. I saw them in wal*mart not too long ago in the $600 price range, that's 50" of screen loving. imho HDTV is only good if you have a BIG display to run it on (like 80"+). My brother runs an HD LCD projector in his home theater, and on a 120" screen, you really do notice a big difference in the quality, but on a 21" it's marginal quality seperation.

Still I think very few things compare to my LCD. Everything on it looks compareable to HD. When I watch the original Matrix DVD, I see every pore in Keanu's face. That's good enough for this lad.

- serial_

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

But let's not forget that digital != HDTV. It just means more channels, the majority of which suck. The vast majority of digital TV transmission is still SD.

Of course, consumers don't make that connection. Just like they don't realize DVDs on their HDTV is *not* watching HD. It's a bit closer if they have an upsampling DVD player, but the majority of people out there are they same type thinking that burning an MP3 to a CD as normal audio restores the lost quality. For any noobs reading this, it doesn't.

I had digital cable for a while, and not only was it a waste of money, I noticed a DECREASE in image quality. Thanks to craptacular encoding, it would get gross artifacting frequently, and even when it wasn't doing so, it still didn't look the slightest bit improved in quality; audio or video. Analog, at least, didn't artifact. We finally cancelled it (I don't pay the bills, so I don't have a say in the matter, unfortunately, or we wouldn't have cable at all). Of course it appears that they're now getting all their signal in digital and then converting it back to analog to spit out, so now my converted analog is artifacted as well.

As serial_ noted - yes, it's great for big screens, but doesn't do much for the smaller ones. It also depends on how far away from the screen you are. As to The Matrix - exactly. I see that same quality on my screens. TVs aren't as good, but the detail is still mostly there. Apparently it's one of the first films that WB will be releasing on HDDVD as well, or so I read (mid-April).

18. silverwolf

silverwolf What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I had purchased a Samsung HDTV to compare against my Sony Trinitron with v-compression. With all the talk about HDTV, I needed to see for myself if the difference was as drastic as they claimed. I ran the HDTV at 720p and 1080i against my Sony KV-27FS100 with v-compression enabled. And in all honesty the Sony had a better picture than the Samsung (with v-compression enabled that is). The only advantage the HDTV had over the Sony was it had slightly better texture filtering. But the difference was not as great as they claim and you would have to know what to look for. Anyone else here has a Sony with v-compression? Give it a try you'll be surprised how good it looks.

19. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Hee hee, apple is SO burned... :D

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

M$ will die before XBOX dies because of vista LOL and HDTV will take its time to enter the mainstream but it will enter eventualy and it will have to be a lot cheaper and have lots more channels and better programing LOL or else it will die with M$.

Tags: Add Tags