1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD 4x4 is ASUS-only

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 20 Nov 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

that seems a bit silly.

More partners surely means more products. If Asus put the price too high, no one will buy them and then there is no allternative.

3. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i thought it was supposed to be proper 4 core, looks like 2 boards cobbled together to make one to me..

plus this is the one cpu amd need to go against the high end home user who would otherwise buy a kentsfield, if this isnt shooting yourself in the foot i dont know what is

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

That's an incredibly stupid thing to have done. They talk about AMD 4x4 being for the real hardcore consumers, the ones who want to have the best tech by far. Those are the exact people who want plenty of choice for things like mobo's to suit their individual needs and we can be quite sure Asus aren't going to produce 10 different Quadfather mobo's. Stupid AMD.

5. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

It maybe that asus is the launch suppler and other companys will jump on after it hit retail. I will wait and see but the 4x4 will be nice when amd quad cores come out having 8 cores in one system

6. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

im sick of AMD at the moment. It's like theyre spoon feeding us what they think we should have in our diet. If we don't like it, we go up to our rooms, kick and scream, go hungry for a few hours, and then we come back down eat it.

First with the ATI merger, and now with extremely strict product restrictions. gay ass.

7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

so, right, 4x4 = 2 cpus with 2 cores on each cpu (just to state what it is)

how is this NEW? you could have 2 intel p2's on one board (my old dell had dual 400mhz p2s) , ok so they put two cores on it.. big deal? its not like having two CPUs is anything new, its been going on in the server side / workstation side for like.. ever. Intel could just do the same thing with a quad core and have 2 of them... ooo 8 cores, 8x2!! yay :p

and how is it 4x4? surly its 2x2??? 2 cores, 2 cpus == 4 cores? or is it 4 cores on each cpu, but then thats still 4x2, unless its 4 CPUS!! then that is cool :p

8. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

4x4 is a server platform afaik & how many server mobo mfrs were there for 940?
    OK, more than 1 but certainly nowhere near as many as for 939 etc.

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Many AMD enthusiasts support AMD partly because they like to root for the "little guy" - they want an alternative to the giant with a near monopoly (Intel, MS, iPod,...). While Asus has made a great name for themselves this agreement is a slap in the face to many of AMD's fans. IMHO The only valid reason I can see for this is that AMD might have to share some secrets to make 4x4 work and wanted needed to limit who they share those secrets with.

I WAS looking forward to AMD's counter to Conroe & Kentsfield but this... BOO!

10. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

4x4 smacks of existing mostly for marketing/advertising reasons anyhow. It doesn't seem to be a "realistic" plattform for end users. The name alone kills me, heh.

So even if they do gimp it, by going with only one board partner, I can't see it having that large of an impact.

Aggies

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Whoa! 4x4 seems to be great! *click sarcasm_mode turned off

Hasn't there been the possibility of using more than 2 CPUs on one MB? Opterons, Xeons?

12. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

yes, very much so lol, and i still dont get where the 4x4 comes from?!? anyone?

4 cores : yes
    2 cpus : yes
    1 motherboard : yes

so wheres the other 4?

13. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

quad sli with 4x 16x pci connectors 2 running at 8x with the other 2 running at 16x

14. SuiSid3l

SuiSid3l What's a Dremel?

wow bit-tech needs to catch up with some of the idiots on this site. tru that AMD is only going with ASUS for an undetermined amount of time in the early stages of 4x4. Mostly I assume b/c they were joint partners in producing the board.

And 4x4 has nothing to do with the cores by themselves. do some research b4 you start bashing a tech you have absolutely no knowledge of. fanboyism at its best.

4x4 is simply a term for having 4 cores coupled with 4 video cards with 4 gigs of ram with 4 hard drives. But saying 4x4x4x4 is a little too much so they cut it back to simply 4x4.

Its a little extreme and no one at AMD is claiming that this is new technology, just simply that its a new approach. last time i check those dual p2 400 boards didnt come with two northbridges or 4 pcix slots?

You bashing this tech is just like any other fanboy bashing the PS3 or 360 in about a million other threads. Its simple, if you dont want/need/like it...then..DONT BUY IT. nuff said.

15. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I wonder if AMD will ship "4x4 Ready" CPU packages that include 2 CPUs with 2 HSFs in one box. For a discount, of course. Or perhaps the CPUs will be close enough to use one elaborate cooling solution to cool both, sort of like PS3s massive cooling unit.

I can see how this causes all kinds of problems, but it's not like Asus is a bad brand. However, competition drives advancement. If no one is around to take their crown they might be less likely to vastly improve their product or sell it at competitive rates.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There will be. L1FX socket will ONLY house FX processors and those will come in "sub 1k" packages.

17. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I cant see how this can be good, I think AMD is pulling an intel.

18. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

come on people! how many people are going to get this? this is UBER high end. only for the elite who can buy those ten grand alienware jobies. the typical gamer or even enthusiast will not be able to afford this, period. this is like amd's flagship model; like ford has the gt40 and dodge has the viper (im american). So in my mind it makes sense to keep it to one manufacturer since this is a low volume product. And in that case, asus is the perfect choice; they are well known for making the most high end, fully loaded, fully featured mobos.

19. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

20. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I do think this thread has started with a little too much fanboy'ism. We have seen this before. I can understand that they are wanting to both "test the market", and "iron out the bugs" by limiting production to a select manufacturer. The only thing I see wrong with this attitude, is that they are actually going to sell the "token" setup; (I guess, "It's the business of business to make money, or else it is a charity." rings true.). I would rather "hear", about this, and wait another 6-9 months and get the whole spectrum. But hey, I guess they need some self promotion every now and again. Something along the lines of "Any publicity is good publicity".

Tags: Add Tags