1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News An end to the disc wars?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 4 Jan 2007.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

I'd have to see how they actually did it, if it's just Blu-Ray one one side and HD-DVD on the other I won't be too impressed.

3. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Yeah, if it not that, and its one disk that works on them both, surely the players can't be that different?

4. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

@ Archangel

I think they are on the same side but the Blu-Ray data is on a lower layer...

5. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

While I'm glad to see a possible solution to the format war, I'm thinking it still has the same nasty DRM.

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I don't like the sound of this...in my books it's just an over complicated short-term solution that'll push the costs up an cause more hassle than it's worth. Everything we make would have to be on these discs, and if that were the case people would simply opt for the cheapest player, ie HD-DVD. Hate to knock it so much, but hybrid discs really don't solve the problem.

<A88>

7. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Hybrid players are the way forward. Either that or burn all the Blu-Ray discs. :)

8. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

It will be a dual layer disc one layer for each format. Problem is that limits the content to 15 and 25GB per format which is hardly an ideal solution. What if you have a film that requires 20GB do you have one dual disc and then one hd-dvd disc. The whole situation is a complete farce :miffed: The level of confusion for the general public will be immensely off putting IMO. Dual discs are not the solution unless they figure a way to get 4 layers 2 of each and still have it be compatible with current players which is highly unlikely. Dual format players are a better idea IMO but still very inelegant and expensive.

The whole situation is a joke!

9. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Amen to that. I don't like the idea of another format.

@Renoir, I find the idea of a third disc format rather inelegant.

Dual-format DVD writers were expensive once, but within a year they were everywhere. I wouldn't worry too much :D

10. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

intresting...

looks like a win win situation for Warner Bros.

and tbh I can't see either format backing down to the other.. multi player or multi discs for the win..

and they might as well use the top of the disc for one format and bottom for the other? if theres any worry about space... :worried:

11. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i would rather have a hybrid player... means it wont matter what i buy then....

12. Tyinsar

Last edited: 4 Jan 2007
  13. Tyinsar

(and the Warner Sister)

/runs & hides

14. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

seems like this will just stall it out even longer? ahh well i'm too poor to afford an HDtv so i'm won't be worried for another year or so

15. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

Agreed. The only elegant solution is if one format dies and quickly.

I don't doubt they'll get significantly cheaper but AFAIK the two sd dvd standards weren't significantly different which meant dual format players didn't cost that much more to manufacture unlike the high def formats.

16. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Personally I don't think this will be too good, as people have said about having multiple layers, just not enough storage for long HD movies Lord Of The Rings?
    I personally am voting for Blu Ray as it is a new technology, a blue laser, and can be upgraded (Possibly like CD to DVD, both of which use red lasers.)

17. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

Why are we seeing format wars at all? It's just the same DRM loving fat cats wanting more money for themselves through more control of the distribution. It just confuses joe average and pisses off people like us.
    Says here they both use the same laser Wikipedia - HD-DVD

18. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I was sure they used different Lasers, and hat is why Blu Ray costs more and the PS3 cam out late, because of low yeild Blue Laser diodes. I stand corrected. What were the low yeilds then?

19. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

The cell processor was getting crappy yields although I can't confirm if that contributed to the delay.

Tags: Add Tags